Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I've been meaning to go to Arizona... I need an AZ In N Out burger shirt to finish my collection
CA - check
NV - check
UT - check
AZ - haven't been there yet (and buying online is cheating)
Pssst : They're also in Texas now too!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murco View Post
Pssst : They're also in Texas now too!
oh crap....

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
It would probably seem a lot less daunting if you didn't have two other projects going, too
Yes indeed! And if the cars were't enough, we had a hot water heater failure that ruined the wood floors in our home. We had to move out while they were being redone and so we decided to have some remodeling done as well. To give you an idea of how much this project has snowballed, I spent Friday afternoon with my wife picking out new hardware for the 40 or so doors in the house. We found a rental down the street, but it's going on three months now living out of suitcases. I'll take a car project over this one any day of the week

Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh wow!!! - I'm sorry to read about this!!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent a couple hours on the car this weekend removing the interior. The floors and trunk need absolutely no work. The steering wheel, gauges, switches, heater ducts, a pillar trim, and headrests look to be in great shape, seats are solid but need rebuild/recover. Will need just about everything else though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear 70 f.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	321589   Click image for larger version

Name:	front 70 f.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	321590   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk 70 f.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	321591  

Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, we moved back into our house last Friday and everything is about back in it's place now.

Haven't done much with the Formula except to chip away at disassembly and plan the build. At this point, I've committed to the aluminum IA II engine I mentioned previously, and also a complete subframe & suspension setup from DSE.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still chipping away. Front sheet metal looks great except for some deterioration of the inner structure/bracing of the passenger fender, just the lower section in front of the door. It should be easy enough to repair, but I saw a set of perfect rust-free '70 fenders at a swap meet this morning, and I just couldn't help myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	formula rf.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	325065  

Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears the RH side lower quarter has been repaired previously--discovered nicely done & hidden lap seam about an inch above the horizontal crease that goes from the tail panel to the wheel well. It looks like an original panel was used for the repair, but since it's rusted through on the bottom, I'll have the whole thing re-done the right way...guess I'll have to look for a quarter section. I'm hesitant about using a reproduction skin because the lower section doesn't appear to have the same contour and I'm not sure if it can be worked so that it looks correct (and match the other side).

In any case, does anyone have a lead on an OE quarter section or NOS piece? I know something like this will be pricy but I've budged for these types of surprises.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The formula is now fully disassembled, but still a roller. It will be leaving my garage tomorrow to begin the odyssey of what has snowballed into a pro-touring type of build.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And so we begin! First step will be a trip to the frame shop to make sure everything's in order before the fun starts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	off to the body shop .jpg
Views:	374
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	327911  

Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Deja vu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
And so we begin! First step will be a trip to the frame shop to make sure everything's in order before the fun starts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2780.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	327948  

Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing it come together!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
oh crap....
Hope you and your cars were on HIGH ground last week...?

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The photos, which show some of the DSE parts that were delivered this week, provide a hint that things are moving more in the direction of full blown pro-touring build.
My boundary conditions are firm though. First, it must be Pontiac powered and use a stick--and be suitable for both long cruises and the track (road/auto-cross). An aluminum IAII based 505ci (detailed to look "Pontiac"), fuel injection, and a T-56 Magnum should get me there. Second, it must use an original Formula Hood without any extra scoops or humps. I love the look of Formula hoods. But given how the engine needs to be set up to run to it's potential, a bit of engineering will be required (both in the design of the intake and how the engine is to be mounted in the car). Third, I want to maintain the same basic interior and exterior color scheme. I don't envision work starting for a couple months. I can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dse suspenson1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	334460   Click image for larger version

Name:	dse subframe.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	334461  

Old 08-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's going to be one sweet Formula and a full DSE treatment is always a winner.

The engine is going to offer some serious challenges (been there and done it). while moving the motor back and down 4x2 the hood on the Formula will require you use a custom made intake.

Anvil auto offers a Carbon hood for your Formula,,, and should you decide to do a SD style Formula hood arrangement to gain extra clearance,,, Carbon Kustoms has you covered off there for the hood and fenders and widened inner fenders if interested... We even do custom built front fenders that will allow you to run 335 X 18 tires up front on that sub-frame.

BTW for what it is worth,,,, I found the sweet spot for me on the street is 295's up front and 335's out back. The car will handle like it's on rails and not hunt as bad as when you use the the larger tires in a street application...

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about the combos as I've walked your path more than a few times and love where you're heading with the build.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your advise about tire sizes Albert. I already had to make a decision regarding the rear tire (I chose 335) but I was going back and forth between 275 and 295 for the fronts. I'm probably going to run Formula 43 Rad 14 wheels--right now I'm thinking all black with the body colored matched stripe (narrow) lip. Some thought and design work have already gone into the intake, but I'm not in a position right now to share any details.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The photos, which show some of the DSE parts that were delivered this week, provide a hint that things are moving more in the direction of full blown pro-touring build.
My boundary conditions are firm though. First, it must be Pontiac powered and use a stick--and be suitable for both long cruises and the track (road/auto-cross). An aluminum IAII based 505ci (detailed to look "Pontiac"), fuel injection, and a T-56 Magnum should get me there. Second, it must use an original Formula Hood without any extra scoops or humps. I love the look of Formula hoods. But given how the engine needs to be set up to run to it's potential, a bit of engineering will be required (both in the design of the intake and how the engine is to be mounted in the car). Third, I want to maintain the same basic interior and exterior color scheme. I don't envision work starting for a couple months. I can't wait.
That subframe is a work of art!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
That subframe is a work of art!
So true. We were joking around that maybe we should just shoot it in clear.

Actually, at some point I'm going to have to decide what colors to paint the subframe and suspension pieces. Not sure if I should give a nod to originality and approximate the factory colors or be more creative.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Hope you and your cars were on HIGH ground last week...?
I just noticed this;
I was fine.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that my TA is almost done (knock wood) this project is officially off the back burner. Thought about starting a new thread, but may as well keep this one alive...Today I dropped the car off at a unibody & frame shop.