Old 11-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Suspended

AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic
Or Dominator

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/cla...ar-protection/

Old 11-07-2017, 05:52 PM

I have been using Joe Gibbs 15/50 in my Pontiac. A friend with an 81 Trans Am recommended it to me because of the high zinc levels.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibbs-Driven-.../dp/B003XU9SXO

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^

Thanks for the updated link!

Looks like the key specs for ZDDP are still the same for the two oils I use.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used a steady diet of Redline's Synthetic 10w-30 since I got my car in 2001. They do use sufficient amounts of zinc in their formulation too. My engine builder told me to use a 10w-40 weight oil; however, the owner of Redline suggested dropping down to a 30 because the synthetic doesn't thin out like a conventional oil when it's warmed up. Their pricing is also competitive if you can find a good sale going. And for added protection I use the Mobil1 Extended filter, a filter magnet, and an oil plug magnet.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years back I did some oil research for an engine builder. Some Interesting Facts I found.
1. As has been stated "most oils" come from the same "base". Well be it North Sea Crude( BP), or Texas crude, or Alaska Crude, or even Bakken , the Organic-Carbon based ash oil base it refines will be nearly the SAME.
2. Most of ALL the "100%" synthetic oils are NOT 100% synthetic at all.. They are ASH based as above with synthetics added. This includes MOBIL 1 <, Yes I did say that...Q-state, and many others are using ash based oil in their
"All synthetic" oils. This is why many , and some above here in posts just doing normal oil changes and doing well.
3. There are a FEW, and it Co$ts to buy it, that ARE 100% synthetic.. Royal Purple being one I know of.
4. Shell has a muscle car oil for "CARS" that does have more zinc . SHELL Rotella fleet oil does have more zinc and as stated far less than before.
5 The fed are forcing the manufacturers of oils and autos to use thinner oil for less resistance , and better fuel economy. This calls for tighter tolerances making it actually harmful to run oils thicker than 20 W.
6 In the diesel world Delo has been on top of new laws changing the specs on oil performance regarding oil foaming, lubricity and adhesion, and cohesion. Some of this will make it into auto technology as well as trucks.
7. Sulpher, phosphorous the Govt wants OUT of oil.. Adding zinc will not hurt, just as new truck owners add lubricants to fuel due to reduced sulpher.
Lots to keep up on, But Yes, you can get taken buying "motor honey"
An analogy...Ever look at buying "Suet" for your birds? Notice ALL the colors on the wrapper? Ever notice ALL the Various FLAVORS? Your bird feeder birds do NOT even have a TONGUE !! The birds would NOT spend extra for that "tropical" blend of flavors...!! Think on that!!

Old 11-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

Valvoline VR-1 or Valvoline thats all I have used.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchy

Over the years I've used a plethora of motor oils.
Chevron, Penzoil, Quaker State, etc.
In the 70's and 80's I had a '75 Vega and my dad had a '67 Bug. We both used Arco Graphite in those cars and the others he owned.
Worked great. Generally, 10W-30, which was the "hip" lighter weight in those days (this was a few years before the advent of the 5 weight oils that are pretty much standard now).
Everyone loved Arco Graphite. It did exactly what it advertised.....dam EPA had it removed from the market due to creating extra pollutants, I believe.
Then, from September of 1992 until the last day of August 2013, I owned a Mazda B2200 truck.
In case you're trying to do the math, that's 20 years, 11 months and 9 days (I generally just tell people I owned it for "about" 21 years. Close enough).
Due to a "design feature" of the oil pump, the lifters would tick constantly (hydro lift, not mech.).
I must've put 3 whole sets in there before discovering Chevron Delo 400.
I worked in a truck shop at the time and that was the oil we used.
Shut those lifters right up (higher zinc content in those days).
I used that oil religiously for about 20 years.
Good reliable oil that can be found anywhere.
Unless your vehicle takes a light oil (like 5w-20, for instance), I would recommend the 15W-40.
Shell Rotella is another good "diesel": oil, from what I've heard but I've never used it, so I can't speak from personal experience.
Anyway, when I sold the truck, I got a Ford Range (sorry 'bout that) that indeed takes 5W-20, so I've curtailed the use of the Delo and now just use Walmart oil.
I can get it in 5 quart jugs for a good price and it seems to work fine.
.....and NAPA oil filters, too. Made by Wix. Good filter. No more Fram. Not since "filter-in-a-filter". No sir.

Last edited by Ponchy; 11-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:25 PM

Completely rebuilt 400ci, 750 Q-Jet Comp Cam, lifter kit, etc., Around 1000 miles on her now and after break in I only use Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Driven 10W 40 Oil and Baldwin B39 Oil Filters. I've used it for years in other builds and never regretted it.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinspc View Post
Nice car!!

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 PM

And yours !!