Old 10-19-2016, 01:51 AM

Red face Replacing Manual Transmission

In the 76 Firebird Esprit with a manual 4 speed transmission, the 2nd gear is starting to hum pretty loud. Was thinking of replacing the 4 speed transmission with a modern or up to date 5 speed or maybe even a 6 speed transmission. Has anyone already done this and can they recommend a transmission/unit that fits pretty close to the existing underside of the 76 Firebird Esprit? It would be nice if the shifter was a Hurst and had "close ratio" like the original 4 speed but I realize that's probably asking for too much. Any response or suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Suspended

Pontiac engine?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Default The motor is a 400 Pontiac

Yes, the motor is the 400 Pontiac. I guess the new transmission could even be a 4 speed. I was just thinking it would be good to find something new or up-to-date. I plan on saving the old one with the car. What are your feelings on this or am I going about this the wrong way? Should I just rebuild and put back the original?

Last edited by Mark-Star; 10-19-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:05 PM

Mark, about 8 months ago, I removed the 4 speed from my 1969 GTO and went with a Tremec 5 speed from American Powertrain in Cookeville TN. Best mod I have done to my car. I run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH. It pulls better in first gear as well. I opted for their white lightnin' shifter for better shifts. The installation is strait forward and went in easy. I did have to cut the floor pan just to the rear of the shifter. No problem as the hole is hidden by the console and some Dyna-mat. My GTO is a 400 with a 3.55 rear. I would do it again today.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I was hoping to hear from the same people who might have a similar year and body as mine (76 Firebird) so they will know if the fit is there or not. I do appreciate your information and will keep it for consideration. This is at the preliminary stage so it will be a while before I actually do anything. Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My TKO-600 is in the stock location - I made and welded in some new perches for a modded crossmember (the stock slide on top version bites). Other than that not much needed - modded the shifter offset.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

What did you come up with when you used the "search" function?

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 10-21-2016, 02:11 AM
Suspended

I to would like to know if anyone has done this swap with a TKO-500 or TKO -600 on a 73 GTO as I'd like to swap in a newer trans with more gears as my car has an M-22 with 373 rear gears & at 70 it's turning around 3400+or - 50 mpg's. & I want to slow it down a lot so I can drive it more on the hwy without getting about 5 mpg's at that speed. I'm not trying to jump your post but because you asked the question I thought I could get an answer to. Thanks