Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Pilot Bearing Help

I'm replacing a clutch in a '66 GTO 389. Original pilot bushing was pressed into the smallest bore in the center of the crank. I removed that and the replacement is a bearing that goes in the next step out on the crank. Bearing is 1.3875". The bore is slightly too small. I mean like .02" too small, but I cant even get the bearing to start into the bore and I don't want to beat it silly. Anyone encounter this in the past? And if so, how did you remedy it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I once converted a '63 Catalina automatic car to a four speed and could not get the pilot bearing to go all the way into the hole in the butt end of the crankshaft due to the step part way down in that hole. The four speed trans would not bolt jam up to the bell housing because of this. The car was on a lift. I took a dremel with a round stone on the end and ground that step out and the pilot bearing then went all the way in and the trans bolted up. You might try the dremel thing.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

It's just a little rust and crud in the bearing area. Remember this was a Auto Car
for 40 years. All I did was use a drill mounted wire brush and about 5 seconds
and the bearing slid right in perhaps even a little loose so I staked the bearing as
well. It will fit, just needs a cleanup. 61-63's problem was different and first Ive
heard of that issue. Usually the Crank is either ready for a pilot or was never
machined for one. His fix was inventive and an option for you if you need to go there,
but really a good clean-up (without removing actual metal) should do the Job.
at .02 from the bearing your crank should be fine for the bearing. All of course
assuming your using the correct bearing and it sound like you are.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

I had very much the same problem with my 66 389, it too was an auto engine that I planned to put with a four speed. I went thru 2 pilot bearings before going down the dremel path, no amount of wire brushing or emory cloth was doing the trick. The correct bearing is a National 7109, which should be a slip fit, but I had zero luck, even with a slide hammer to try to entice it in. Now that I read 61-63's post I realize I have not mated the transmission after the clutch install, hope I don't have to reprise that whole episode.

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 09-28-2016, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did the dremel with a sandpaper attachment. It worked just fine on an auto. crank.