Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Default Muncie 4 speed issue

Went out for a little cruise tonight, sitting at the corner to come home and no 3rd 4th gear. First and second fine, as well as reverse. Hope it is a shift linkage issue. Any thoughts. Off to tranny shop first thing tomorrow..

Old 09-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like your shift rods loosened or came off

Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 PM

That's what I am thinking, no garage to work on car(missing that), condo guy now.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Just a comment, ask Bart (one of the Moderators) if you can change your forum name to something besides D. Butler as PY has a Vendor in Tennessee who does a lot of Pontiac Engine Work and this might confuse New Guys if they did not know to look at the poster location first.

I opened the topic expecting to see a post by David Butler of Butler Performance. I saw that you are from Sarnia, Ontario but David Butler (from Tennessee) has posted occasionally.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Just a comment, ask Bart (one of the Moderators) if you can change your forum name to something besides D. Butler as PY has a Vendor in Tennessee who does a lot of Pontiac Engine Work and this might confuse New Guys if they did not know to look at the poster location first.

I opened the topic expecting to see a post by David Butler of Butler Performance. I saw that you are from Sarnia, Ontario but Davis Butler has posted occasionally.

Tom V.
I thought the same thing.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 09-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as the shifter issue, I think it has to be a shift linkage issue. I bet the nut[or bolt, depending on which Muncie] fell off, an the linkage rod fell off. Can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong inside the tranny for that issue to happen without the tranny making a whole bunch of noise.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 09-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

I opened the topic expecting to see a post by David Butler of Butler Performance. I saw that you are from Sarnia, Ontario but David Butler (from Tennessee) has posted occasionally.

Tom V.
Me too...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 09-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the linkage rod isn't hanging or nut on trans lever didn't come loose, likely a broken 3-4 shift fork.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just did this a few weeks ago, grabbed 2nd gear hard and right away knew something was wrong, clip that retains shift rod to linkage went away and dropped 1-2 rod, no 1st or 2nd, drove home in 3-4. Replace clip and it's all good.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Boost Engineer

Happened to me one time too.

I raised the car up in the rear on jack stands, made sure that the reverse rod and the 3-4 rod was in the neutral position, put the trans in 1st gear position with the trans lever, Fired the engine up and listened for noises. No Noises. Did the same (after shifting 1-2 trans lever manually into 2nd) and again listened for noises.

Learned from a very good mechanic that sometimes you can harm a part by "Testing" it in a improper position.

All was good so I attached the rod, put the pin in the shifter, readjusted the rods, and was good to go.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We changed the 2 speed Muncie (no 1st or 2nd) in the pits before quailfiing, During the feature the shift rod came loose and the trans was stuck in 4th. Restarts and tire cleaning were affected but we finished the race.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

When installing the clips, be sure to row through the gears a few times, and
watch the shift linkage. In a few places the placement of the clips can be critical
as the movement can dislodge them. Also, nice new lock washers on those
shift brackets where they meet the trans. These love to loosen up and cause
shift jams. When they do, the oval shaped holes can "hour Class" and this can be
fixed either by pin peening (or welding) the shape back then filing, or buying new ones
Nothing worse than reaching up between two very hot exhaust pipes to get a jam out
of the linkage on the side of the road. Have lots of burn scares to prove the point.