Old 05-06-2024, 03:42 PM

Default turn signal switch

66 Bonneville turn signal switch. I only see ones for tilt wheel. I don't have a tilt column. Does anyone know of a company who makes one or one that works from another model?

Old 05-06-2024, 04:25 PM

This info may help in your search:
Original GM # from 1966 and 1972 parts books for the switch is/was 9777251, the switch covers 1965 and 1966 Pontiac full size, without tilt wheel. You may find an NOS one using the GM # in a search.

The Following User Says Thank You to madeuce50 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It might be easier to find a used column than to try to find a switch.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:03 PM

Another thought is that big body Chevy may have used the same switch with a different (Chevrolet) part number. Sometimes, these switches have a Delco number on them, while the box has the Pontiac (or Chevrolet or Buick or Olds) number on it.

This is more common for parts for the tilt, as the tilts were fairly generic in the early-mid '60's (I have a new spare switch for my '63 which came from a Chevy parts dealer). Still, it may be an avenue to explore. (Unfortunately, my interchange manual only goes up to the late '50's, so I can't do any more than speculate.)

GL

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-06-2024, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it like the earlier switches? Black and mounts to the outside of the column about half way down? If so I've had good luck opening them and cleaning contacts and reassembling. Also there was a company online (sorry can't remember the name) that sells the tilt switch that would rebuild your old regular switch if you mailed it to them.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Is it like the earlier switches? Black and mounts to the outside of the column about half way down? If so I've had good luck opening them and cleaning contacts and reassembling. Also there was a company online (sorry can't remember the name) that sells the tilt switch that would rebuild your old regular switch if you mailed it to them.
No, it's in the column under the steering wheel.
It's 65-66 B body Pontiac only W/O Tilt.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the prob with the old one?
I could go through it for the shipping.
Unless you are a Bears Fan

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:47 PM

Another thought here is Lectric Limited (
https://www.lectriclimited.com
). I see the tilt switch available (apparently, these are currently manufactured in Taiwan), but again, on the chance that the Chevy or Olds crosses over for the non-tilt, they may have something for you.

There's also a switch rebuilding service the name of which escapes me at the moment. ISTR they boast of being able to rebuild almost any Delco Remy switch, going back to the early-early days.

More stuff to throw into the hopper.

A couple of years ago, the turn signal switch in my wife's daily driver ('97 Riviera) melted down. I ended up having to find a column (and the switch does not interchange as many years as the column - what a pain). The car was off the road for months while I tracked that down. Ugh. It's always the stupid stuff...

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-10-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
What is the prob with the old one?
I could go through it for the shipping.
Unless you are a Bears Fan
Horn doesn't work from wheel, right turn signal non op (used to work), brake lights don't work. No signal through the ribbon wire. I made a jumper from the brakelight switch to the taillights and brake light is working. Horn works with a jumper too. I just want to make it right and everything that I've read comes back to the turn signal switch. I did find another thread that tells how to adapt a Tempest switch to the B Body bearing. I ordered the Tempest switch and was going to give that a go.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelsdad View Post
Another thought is that big body Chevy may have used the same switch with a different (Chevrolet) part number. Sometimes, these switches have a Delco number on them, while the box has the Pontiac (or Chevrolet or Buick or Olds) number on it.
This may be worth exploring further;
Incase this helps, if you look up the part for a 1965 Impala, you should be able to visually tell if it's different.

I can see that the tilt column part IS the same part.

Rockauto is only as good as the manufacturers literature, and I have found holes in many applications - where you need to know the precise alternate vehicle application where the part is listed under - otherwise you come up empty.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	help maybe.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	633514  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)