THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Honey Crisp apples

my favorite...absolutely my favorite..but...i bought a small bag at a chain grocery 0ver the weekend... and almost passed out..

I bought a small bag...i thought it was $3.99 a bag....wrong...a small bag of apples was $13.68....i had a few things i picked up for dinner..4 poblano peppers...some mozzarella pearls...an onion..and some ground turkey for stuffed pepers...(i love poblanos..new discovery and cant get enough..and siracca sauce too..eat it on eggs and everything else..but thats a whole diff story ..lol...).and a coke for the ride home...and apples...

$28 bux and went.."no way" can you check the prices? the girl laffed..and said "honey..its the apples" $13.68 was for the small bag of apples...i counted 12 small apples....wtf....she said apples are nearly $1 each during summer...i never noticed, because i usually do all my shopping and theres always apples..but usually i have a cart full of stuff...dang-it...my favorite apples are just too much to afford...looks like no more til the fall..dang-it

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honeycrisps were developed by the University of Minnesota. These apples are grown all over southern MN near me.

They are one fine apple!

SweeTango is a derivative - and also very good.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Senior Chief

no way should they be so much! 3.00 a pound is tops! Were they organic?

Old 07-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK gonna have to try these now! Usually its Granny Smith or Red Delicious .

Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the most overrated apple ever created! it's like eating a rice cake, crisp but no flavor. the sweetango is real good apple but my favorite is a ginger gold.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love my granny smith's, or a Grapple.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cdrookie.....look..imma fat guy...i eats me some stuff...when i say they are the best apples i ever ate...them muffugers are good...

how are they over rated? and tasteless...you trollin' me?...cuz its workin'

dude..i'll lick to my elbows if the juice runs that far....are you an apple agitator? do you work for the table grape council?...or even worse..the florida orange foundation?...

now im upset....i may not sleep tonight...im so upset.....thats it....im gonna have to make some root beer floats to be able to get over this slanderous tragedy..
ok..i'm kidding, of course....or am I?

No they where not organic..and very small..in the fall they are huge...

ive tried everyhting in my local store, and i gravitate to the honey crisps...havent seen sweet tangos or graples around here...

its depressing how expensive fruit has gotten..no wonder less fortunate people are hooked on twinkies...they just cant afford good healthy food...and i live in a food desert..i have to drive 15 minutes to get to a good grocery store...nothing around here but gas stations and fast food dumps..all the potato chips and cup cakes you want..maybe...maybe a banana but mostly just junk food...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

marxjunk, hate to hurt your feelings but i will die for what i believe in! if this turns into a civil war and divides the forum, ruins the internet, turn neighbor against neighbor... so be it. the truth must be told! and the truth is honey crisp apples are overrated!

i work around the country with people from all over the USA. i've done taste tests to prove my point even! out of the 2 people(who claim to be "apple knowers") who volunteered for the taste test, ALL chose ginger gold over the honey crisp! that's 100% of the people surveyed!!!

i've even heard a rumor(from a cheesehead, so they'd know) that your test tube apples were actually developed in wisconsin! yup

i appreciate a mtn dew(glass bottle) and cole slaw breakfast as much as the next guy. root beer floats are delicious but they make me feel bloated and poop, and i don't feel like pooping now, i have an engine to build damit!

so please quit spewing your honey crisp propaganda and get on the ginger gold(or sweetango) bandwagon while there's still room!

and what's a grapple?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mmmmmmmmmmmmm....cole slaw for breakfast...my personal fav is McDs sausage McGriddle with KFC cole slaw.....

no joke..it works..

The Goat whisperer

Old 07-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i was working north of denver one time and went to the restaurant right outside the hotel for supper. I got blah blah blah and cole slaw for a side. They could've just brought me a big bowl of slaw instead of the blah, cause it was EXCELLENT! had apples in it, they weren't honey crisp though because i could taste them.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
They could've just brought me a big bowl of slaw instead of the blah, cause it was EXCELLENT! had apples in it, they weren't honey crisp though because i could taste them.

who hurt you?..i mean come on..theres no reason for this apple bashing....you're deflecting (oh..had to fix that..i typed YOUR the first time....dont want the post/spelling police to become angry) ...talk to me Goose..(top gun reference for those counting)... we can work it out...Top Gun is my favorite movie....like..for-reals...let me guess..you hate that too..(top gun.. top gun.. top gun...thats 5 or is it 4?.....i try to work that in every conversation i can.)

now i'm gonna have to get some cole slaw ..we have this BBQ joint i go to in Wichita when im down there for work..called Hog Wild....they have pulled pork with creamy coleslaw on it...it will make you eat yer fingers...no kidding...i think they call it Carolina pulled pork...

man...i need some cole slaw and sausage McG's...so..off to KFC and MickyDs....they serve breakfast all day now..and luckily they are actually across the street from each other...and both have drive-thrus......wash it all down with sweet tea..or what we mid westerners like to call brown simple syrup...

looks like my di-a-beatus may kick back in tonight...but its OK..when i go into my sugar induced coma..i dream my of dog from child hood, Buddy, we are running thru the Honey Crisp apple groves of Minnesota in slow motion..the sun shining a golden hue..turning leaves..{etc etc..shiney stuff...etc etc}.....me eating honey crisps by the bag full....and BUDDY rolling around in a dead cat, pile-o-stuff...it really brings back memories...... ahh.. precious aint it...

The Goat whisperer

Last edited by marxjunk; 07-07-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Senior Chief

A lot of the honeycrisp apples bought in the grocery store in the summer are grown in Washington state and just not as good as Minnesota grown honeycrisp apples in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

and what's a grapple?

http://www.grapplefruits.com/

Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 PM

I don't know whats up with the price of fruit these past few years, but it has gotten out of sight. Apples are running 1.90 to over 3.00 a lb these days, oranges are no cheaper, and the seasons have nothing to do with the prices. Apples were always well under a 1.00 a lb and suddenly they are twice that price. I will not pay it, even though I love my apples. I like the gala apple as well as the honey crisp. I want to know who is forcing these prices up, it is gouging. Half the time these stores end up throwing out a lot of their inventory because they can't sell them. I would think this would drive the prices down not up.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooskidoo View Post
A lot of the honeycrisp apples bought in the grocery store in the summer are grown in Washington state and just not as good as Minnesota grown honeycrisp apples in my opinion.

hmmmmm, maybe i've had washington apples? I usually don't pay much attention to where they are grown.

what retailers carry Grapples Simple Man? Just says to contact your washington apple shipper when clicking on the retailers link.

i'm done apple bashing marxjunk. it's hot and humid, motor clearances not working out like they should, only had 1 plastic bottle of mtn dew today, don't like how much my wife is gonna pay for a new vehicle lease... it was just a matter of tim before i blew!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

all good fun i know youre kidding.. i like a good apple debate......Top Gun....there..i said it....

the honey crisps i bought where $3.99 a pound...thats huge...so huge...it confused me...i honestly thought they where $3.99 a bag..not a pound...

im hooked on some Mexican treats..i cant remember the name...there are 2 one is Mexican peanut brittle..but so much better..and the other is a coconut bar...both all natural..pretty cheap and low cal...i will get some pics..for some reason..the coconut bar really satisfies me..i mean its really good and very filling...no where as good as just a good old apple though..

The Goat whisperer

Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
hmmmmm, maybe i've had washington apples? I usually don't pay much attention to where they are grown.

what retailers carry Grapples Simple Man? Just says to contact your washington apple shipper when clicking on the retailers link.

i'm done apple bashing marxjunk. it's hot and humid, motor clearances not working out like they should, only had 1 plastic bottle of mtn dew today, don't like how much my wife is gonna pay for a new vehicle lease... it was just a matter of tim before i blew!
Unless you live in the Midwest, every apple you've eaten in your life came from Washington State (Skagit Valley and Spokane area).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NO SODA ... it will kill you. The stuff is horrible .... nice bottle of spring water instead.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PA grown Honey Crisps are fantastic.

The other states are pretty good too.

Washington cherries are fantastic right now.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Honeycrisp apples are ok but are way overrated. Galas are the best all around apple!

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph