Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-12-2005, 07:04 AM
On Vacation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oldinjun: I'll be away for a while, maybe you guys can teach him some manners while I'm gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teach Baker some manners?

Not bloody likely.

When you're away for awhile, oldinjun, perhaps you'll consider growing some thicker skin.

Hey, J.C.U. :

I see UR still pissed off at Humpty over the rocker arms that U thought U were getting a killer deal on. RU still pissed that U bought a set of standard rockers instead of "gold" rockers, even though they weren't advertised at such? Even though Humpty refunded UR money?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Brian. My son crashed his 1976 all black, L-82 Corvette Sunday, in Denver Colorado, 92nd and Wadsworth. He worked so hard on it, Honor student all through Highschool, Band, State debate team, Now going to CU , Boulder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-030S.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	9141  

Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear your son is ok, Greg. I'm sure both of you have learned something from this experience.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:24 AM
On Vacation

Knowing how I drove when I was in high school...........

.............My kid's getting a Volvo 240 sedan.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blown Nitro Pontiac:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oldinjun: I'll be away for a while, maybe you guys can teach him some manners while I'm gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teach Baker some manners?

Not bloody likely.

When you're away for awhile, oldinjun, perhaps you'll consider growing some thicker skin.

Hey, J.C.U. :

I see UR still pissed off at Humpty over the rocker arms that U thought U were getting a killer deal on. RU still pissed that U bought a set of standard rockers instead of "gold" rockers, even though they weren't advertised at such? Even though Humpty refunded UR money?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

U believe in hearsay from the "energizer", nitro? hush up, or i will call Ray to set u in ur place. he he.......

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 AM
On Vacation

No, JCU.

I believe what Humpty told me about ur rockers that he sold 2U.

I also believe Humpty about the rocker arms that Ray Cocks sold 2 him.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not hearsay when a primary source relays the info to you.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
On Vacation

Oldinjun:

Why the main studs?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oldinjun, I don't think Brian met any disrespect.
He was just saying a stock build would be good. I had a stock 350 4bbl Pontiac before it was a good strong dependable engine.

Being a parent myself I know how we all think our kids are mature. My daughter is also an honer student and I feel she is well rounded. BUT I remember when I was 16 and alone with friends and raising hell with out dad knowing.

Back to your build, far as the 350 heads that are missing the header bolt hole's Paul Spotts has a fix for that. I'm sure someone out wast may have it too maybe PPR but here is what it looks like.
http://www.spottsperformance.com/headLbracket

Good luck with your build. I think it is really cool that your daughter has an interest in an American car I am looking forward to building one with my daughter in the next couple of years.

Patrick

*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1964 Tempest work in progress 400 with Tremec 5 speed

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian, there's nothing like an North Eastern education, elocution's much better! But I do like dem dare crawfish !!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Send a message via MSN to

Greg, sorry to see your son's mistake...No one got hurt right? Sorry but this is the best way to learn his lesson...Be thankful it wasn't a GTO My son learned a really tough lesson..he flipped his GTP 4 times...no one got hurt..the car was totaled. If it would have been an import I would not be going to BIR to see his first roadrace at the CRA event this weekend! It cost him big time(and me seeing him do this to himself), a set back. He has bounced back really well and he really learned from it...your boy will too!
I guess I got old when I had teenagers Sure it was just crazy riding home with my daughter, her riding her new Ninja 250 I made her buy, see wanted a 600...Scared me bad I took her riding all day way away from traffic...2 weeks later she had her 600 and a 250...a 250 she couldn't sell! Yup those were the days...now it's just me and my lovely bride of 25 years ahhhh. I would not have done it any other way it made them what they are today.
And now I know what my parents ment by "wait til you have kids of your own"
Old Injun build her a 400 or 455 with all the bells and whistles and make sure she knows all the if you do this, this going to happen stuff....give her somthing she'll remember.
Oh my boy now....making close to six figues...he never forgot his lesson...now he is way fast and does it on the track only

Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No one got hurt. Well Pride is bent .

Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I almost got in more trouble in high school with our 70 Vega I drove when my 409 Impala was broke! So power doesn;t have to bve there to get stupid.Almost got it sideways playing around. My first car was a 4 speed 409 Impala I bought. Started as a stock 340 hp added all the 425 HP goodies and a BIG cam and headers.Would run 12.20s @108 at the old Dallas International Speedway at the IHRA events in 1972 as a senior in high school and freshman in college.

My son had an 81 TA he drove to high school I build a low compression 400 with the Summit 2801 cam. It has 3.08s and gets around OK but at speed really could use on OD tranny.He wouldn't even drive the go kart too fast when he was little.

My daughter is a different story she needs a 4 cylinder truck with pipe bumpers and front and side air bags! We haven't even let her get her beginners permit yet and she's 16.

I autocrossed my 78 for a number of years so if you need some suspension thoughts just let me know.

326 and 350 have some decent power due to their stroke and torque.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 AM

Far from an expert opinion, but if the car is running (I'm not sure you said) the biggest improvement would be a gear change - ideally 3.73 (posi)or so with a 200-4R. Help the low CR 350 off the line and still cruise on the highway w/good gas mileage. For daily driving, I'm pretty happy with the torque in my '69 350 2V. It wouldn't run great numbers at the track but allows for a baseline to motivate further improvements. Watching the car gradually improve is part of the fun of building it IMO.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oldinjun - JMO Brian's first post was very reasonable; his second post was, well, very Brian.

I would have suggested exactly the same thing whether you had a son or daughter (I went through this with one of each several years ago, both honor students).

However, it is your daughter, and her car; so: if you want to heat up the engine a little, look at the specs for the 1974 GTO. By using a known factory engine, you know its going to work. Pontiac rated it 200 HP. NHRA laughed at that and re-rated it 250 HP. A little better gearing and it runs pretty good.

Lose a little weight on the car (aluminum wheels, etc.) and it runs a little better.

Would highly suggest the stock Q-Jet over the Holley if fuel economy is your thing; however, if you are trying to set it up for SCCA racing, the Q-Jet would need some modifications to make it work well in a road-race environment.

There are some pretty good suspension kits out there. Possibly install a heavier front bar, possibly some synthetic bushings.

Hope both you and your daughter enjoy this project.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oldinjun: your post was advice on how to build a first car for your daughter.

I tend to agree with Brian. You can still build a nice car with a 350 which will serve her purpose well.

I've raised two sons, both "A" students, their first cars were used sedans, plenty of glass all around to minimize blind spots, etc. for first time drivers.

Served the purpose for them. When the older one graduated and got a job, he bought a new 2000 WS6 6 speed, kept the '85 Celebrity for a daily driver and winter car.

Do what you wish, just my opinion.

George

Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

i've always disagreed with the thought that a fast car is dangerous (in a lot of cases)

i started with a 396 4:88 geared impala
moved to a '68 dart GTS, now my 4 speed '67 gto

I think it's just as dangerous for a kid to have some car they don't respect, as it breeds complacency. A 'hotrod' or mild build will make her pay attention to driving and the road - while keeping her from playing with cell phones and cd players (I would hope).

It's when teenagers don't pay attention that the trouble starts.

I rationalize driving my '67 every day. I rarely speed on the highway and don't do stupid things like u-turns...or cut corners and try to squeeze into situations i shouldn't...because the car wasn't built for that...nor should it be put in those situations

I think it'll be a fine car for her...and make her a hell of a driver

I've actually got a '75 formula 400 4-speed i'm about to sell if you'd rather have that (since you're building that one anyways)

It was going to be my law school car, but i'll take the goat...as i don't have time for this one

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those 74 350 GTOs are turning mid-high 11s in NHRA trim!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Baker:
It's not hearsay when a primary source relays the info to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i beg to differ, it is what u THOUGHT u heard in ur OWN mind in the rocker deal, u relayed to blown nitro.

same deal here with oldinjun. ur smarta** mouth just don't know when to stop, when someone is offended by what u say...... u probably don't even realize it, u have done it so long to other people..... and get it honest also...... so there is no need to waste anymore time on this.......

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.C.you:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Baker:
It's not hearsay when a primary source relays the info to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i beg to differ, it is what u THOUGHT u heard in ur OWN mind in the rocker deal, u relayed to blown nitro.

same deal here with oldinjun. ur smarta** mouth just don't know when to stop, when someone is offended by what u say...... u probably don't even realize it, u have done it so long to other people..... and get it honest also...... so there is no need to waste anymore time on this....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JCURADOPE.

How's that for condensing the english language? I bet BNP wouldn't have even thought of that one.

Dude...by primary source, I mean me. If I tell someone about something I said, it's not hearsay. It's only hearsay when I tell someone somethign that somebody else said.

What I "thought" I heard in my mind when writing that rocker ad isn't as off as what you "thought" you heard in your mind when reading the ad.