Old 06-15-2023, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 12 bolt rear end value

What is a COZ (3.73:1 posi) worth? Let's assume there's pitting on the tubes. May be missing brake parts and/or backing plates. So, maybe a range. Any interested parties? No pictures, just heresay yammering for now.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Following

Old 06-17-2023, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably gave too much for it, but the crickets on this site drown out answers people seek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Early197012BoltFBody1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	614372  

Old 06-17-2023, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since backing plates are MIA, have to assume its been apart. That usually means original gears are ruined or missing, or carrier has been swapped.
If its all there inside you are still mostly buying for the numbers. COZ.
SO ,Looks like it will clean up ok. I would say its worth $1,600 to the right buyer.
" collectors" on here wouldn't pay that..
If I was selling and the gears look good, I would show pics of the dates and numbers on the ring gear

Old 06-17-2023, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks a LOT cleaner Mike, than in your original posts description. Hard to assess value, as can bring a wide range. Personally, I give next to zero value to rust pitted Chevy style backing plates, so no huge issue if missing.
-Besides draining & flushing the center hsg & looking closely at the carrier & ring & pinion, I also always like to remove the drums & drop the c-clips & pull the axles before purchase. So many 12 bolt cclip axles are tracked/pitted in the bearing lands that I always discount auch an effected rear as a core purchase.
-Date application also come into play on value. Have an extremely clean 06 believe its the 11th day COZ that upon refinishing & rebuild, will find a documented RA IV T/A buyer

Old 06-17-2023, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again, I was going by what usually happens when I go to look at things. Turns out everything was there and clean enough (Bruce, I think you had a clean unit that this could look like). I paid more than you quoted.

Roger, you've stated several times "Chevy backing plates". Do you say this because they are not McKinnon rears?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Early197012BoltFBody7.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	614378  

Old 06-17-2023, 09:35 PM
Suspended

And what's inside?

Old 06-17-2023, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gear lube.

Gear stamped is a GM 11 41 and what may have been a 3 69 date (didn't take a picture).

Old 06-17-2023, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know the value but I just passed one from a 70 formula for $1,400.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The REPOP backing plates that Ames sells ( I think they are the only style, but not 100% on that) are NOT correct and lack in crispness. Easily identified by a judge..
The axle bearing race galling ( light) can be remedied by a wider axle bearing.
As most know the Correct Pinion seal is NOT available for these rears and the truck unit which is sold needs a 1/8" shim around the snub to make the seal lip sit on the Pinion at the correct location.
It sure looks wrong with the big metal flange sitting out from the housing, but it has to be that way, as far as I know, the only game in town.
This applies to 67-72 GM 12 Bolts.
The rear in question could be ( cleaned up well )worth what a new aftermarket one would cost ( 3K ish) to a RA4 Owner that had it factory.
That said; may take a while to sell it.
EDIT: This rear looks like it has Axle tube welding leaks as One I rebuilt had. This should be fixed, BUT that coat of gear oil and dirt can really preserve a rear...

Last edited by Formulabruce; 06-17-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Again, I was going by what usually happens when I go to look at things. Turns out everything was there and clean enough (Bruce, I think you had a clean unit that this could look like). I paid more than you quoted.

Roger, you've stated several times "Chevy backing plates". Do you say this because they are not McKinnon rears?
The spotwelded on flanges are the tell tale of the Chevy style 9.5" brake backing plates. Very common c-clip axle backing plate, unlike the McKinnon 12 bolt backing plates & a few of the GM 9.5 diam bolt-in axle backing plates.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only using clean original backing playea here, no repops. Am also not a fan of c-clip axle saver bearings which reposition the bearing surface. OEM c-clip axles try & twist & I've examined broken oem 12 bolt c-clip axles several of which did not break outboard of the axle splines but in a slight grooved area where the bearing lands were worn.