THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question String Trimmers???

Looking to invest in a string trimmer that can change attachments. Would like to get a 4 stroke so I don't have to mess with mixing fuel. Who make a good one? I have heard bad things about TroyBilt.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had a Troy bilt 4 stroke for about 2-3 years now and it starts up reliably and easy to change over from string to the blade edger. Trained my 16 yo daughter on it this weekend and she understood the principles of the choke to get it started thankfully.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

Cub also makes a great 4 stroke, Ive had one for 2 years no issues.

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stihl FS90 or newer equivalent.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

Some of the newer 4 stroke Stihls still require mixing. I have the FS130 and its been a good reliable unit and always starts easily. I actually dont mind mixing it because I can use the same fuel can for the saw as well and theres no worrying about the oil level getting low.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just like with mowers and tractors, the main thing to look for is who made the engine.

There is probably only a small handful of engine makers for the plethora of weed-whackers out there.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Stihl Kombi (km110) is a "4 stroke" that requires mixing. It's kept up with all the weed eater needs of the local high school baseball field and my yard now for 3 years. I run it with the string trimmer and edger attachments.

After my experience with this Stihl, I believe in them. I've run a 500ft spool of mono-filiment through it and am about to finish up a 5lb (1450 foot) spool of Oregon gatorline.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Craftsman 4cycle here that you can use attachments on. You do have to cut pieces of trimmer line, but it's heavy duty at .130. I have the edger and blower for mine. I believe there's a small tiller attachment too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have the troybuilt and have used it for over a year. I have used it to weed wack, and also have the chainsaw attachment and used that thing like crazy after the last hurricane. Starts right up every time and has plenty of power in the high brush..etc. Got it at blowe's

Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My Ryobi just failed after 14 years. Went to Home Depot and bought a new Ryobi. Guy that works there said other than the high end Stihl which he said was the best, the Ryobi is good for weekend use and hardly ever gets returned back to the store. Im good with that

Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigunde View Post
My Ryobi just failed after 14 years. Went to Home Depot and bought a new Ryobi. Guy that works there said other than the high end Stihl which he said was the best, the Ryobi is good for weekend use and hardly ever gets returned back to the store. Im good with that
X2. My Ryobi is 12 years old and still even has the original spark plug in place. Starts and runs as good as the day I bought it, so I haven't bothered replacing it yet. Drain and refill the oil and clean and re-oil the air filter once a year, and it's ready to go. Due to my location, I use it 12 months out of the year.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Stihl kombi 110 and am pleased with the performance and ease of use. Bought the chain saw attachment for the 110 for trimming also works great esp for delimbing downed branches. I'm buying the edger now and looking to buy the tiller later. Never had problems-I know if I do the dealer will help me right now. The dealer has always beeen there.Friendly. I priced the Stihl battery powered trimmers a little to pricey for me.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Shindaiwa is THE brand. I've owned a 2 stroke version for 25 years and it still runs great. With gas the way it is these days, mixing a little 2 stroke oil with all your gas is good. A big name brand of 2 stroke oil (Stihl) will have fuel stabilizer in it also. My other choice would be the Stihl unit. 4 year warranty with the purchase of the 2 stroke oil is the way to go. My Stihl chainsaw is still running after 10 years of heavy use. Just purchased a Stihl pole chain saw. I love it!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

I'm a dealer for Stihl and carry the full line of the KM series Kombi-units. Yes, you will have to mix the gas, and because of this, you don't have an oil sump, and this feature makes it the only all position machine on the market. Beats the heck out of worrying about oil levels and such each time you use it.

Besides, Stihl offers the best warranty in the business....a factory warranty on trimmers is 2 years.....if you purchase a 6 pack of HP Ultra oil mix (one gallon mix is $2 per can), this doubles your warranty into a 4 year warranty (as long as it's homeowner or farm use).....it's a no-brainer to double your warranty for 12 dollars......and you need the oil anyway.

My personal favorite is the KM90R. Buy a FS-KM Brushcutter attachment with it and then buy an Autocut C trimmer head and swap out the two when you need it. Saves a bunch of money that way.

Check em out.....you will be glad you did.

Let me know if I can help. I sell these every day.

~Joe

Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

I live in the country and have lots to weed wack and will run mine for an entire day at a time. I have had many but nothing compares to the Stihl I bought last year. This thing will cut down small trees! The best part is it runs smooth and is comfortable. All the old units would leave my hand and arm num for days after using them the Stihl does not. I will never buy another weed wacker other than a Stihl.

06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokamo View Post
I'm a dealer for Stihl and carry the full line of the KM series Kombi-units. Yes, you will have to mix the gas, and because of this, you don't have an oil sump, and this feature makes it the only all position machine on the market. Beats the heck out of worrying about oil levels and such each time you use it.

Besides, Stihl offers the best warranty in the business....a factory warranty on trimmers is 2 years.....if you purchase a 6 pack of HP Ultra oil mix (one gallon mix is $2 per can), this doubles your warranty into a 4 year warranty (as long as it's homeowner or farm use).....it's a no-brainer to double your warranty for 12 dollars......and you need the oil anyway.

My personal favorite is the KM90R. Buy a FS-KM Brushcutter attachment with it and then buy an Autocut C trimmer head and swap out the two when you need it. Saves a bunch of money that way.

Check em out.....you will be glad you did.

Let me know if I can help. I sell these every day.

~Joe
Friend has one and I have seen it in action at my place mowing down 20ft high bamboo. It is impressive and the "all" positions make it invaluable

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Echo..........Echo...........Echo

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bob,
I know you don't want to mix oil with gas, but if you're serious about a 4 stroke, check out Shindaiwa. The M254 is a 4 stroke that will operate in any position, has a rev limiter built in, and has seven attachments available, from string trimmer, to articulating hedge trimmer, to pole prunner. It will last you a lifetime. Don't know what you're looking to spend, but the powerhead is around $325.00 I'm a dealer for Shindiawa and Echo, the Echo unit is a true 2 stroke, and less money, but I believe the new engine is only a 1 ringer, as oposed to Shindaiwa's 2 ringer. If you would like to see one in person, I'm just a short drive from you up 696, in Warren. Check it out here.

www.shindaiwa-usa.com
www.pro-mower.com

P.S. I don't know if you remember, but I spoke to you at Norwalk this past year. I have a 74 T/A also, one of 1750 standard shift 400 cars, although mine's still in pieces!!!

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by 74gto; 05-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Cub Cadet version about three years ago and have had no problems at all. 4 stroke, no mixing, no problems. (Got their mower at the same time. Self propelled, not a ride on.) The edger isn't industrial strength but it gets the job done. The weed wacker was OK, but by far my best investment was one of those "As seen on TV" PivoTrim heads. I used to have to change lines on the single feed version at least half a dozen times to do the yard, sometimes twice that if I was doing the grass around the fence really well. I load up that PivoTrim and do the whole yard. It's great. Best $24 I spent for yard equipment. (Ace hardware.)

Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 in the Shindaiwa! Great trimmer. I use them for both commercial and my home. Not a throw away unit like the Home Center brands/versions.

I still think its laughable that the public perceives dumping a little bottle in a gallon of gas as "complicated", yet they line right up at the trough to slop up a heavier (and usually less powerful) 4 stroke unit that requires oil changes. Go figure.