Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to clean Aluminum Heads and/or Block?

Working on an LS Motor with Aluminum Heads and Block.

Need to clean the head gasket surfaces.

On a steel block I just use a sharp scraper and/or razor blades, but afraid to do that on aluminum.

I have heard that some use Scotch Brite Pads, and/or Roll Lock Discs, but there is abrasives in these and I don't want abrasives getting into the engine.

What products/tools do you use and how to you clean Aluminum Heads/Blocks?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Senior Chief

I went to a boat motor school once and they told us to use something softer than the metal. They gave us light switch covers to scrape with.

I use razor blades and take my time.

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do not use Rol lock discs or Scotch Brite pads. I use those for fine grinding when I balance crankshafts, so they will make a mess out of your aluminum deck. Best thing to use is a flexible steel gasket scraper, and make sure it is sharp, and burr free on the bottom side that will be against the deck. Also, said gasket scraper should have a sharpened bevel on one side only, and the bottom side should be flat with the rest of the blade. Then you be real careful, and bend the scraper against the deck so as to not be pushing on too steep of an angle to where it trys to bite the deck surface. If you press hard enough to flex the scraper so the blade is at a angle of only a few degrees, you will be able to scrape the gasket off without gouging the deck. Just be careful, and keep the scraper flat to the deck surface, applying even pressure across the width of the scraper, you should be fine. If you feel it trying to dig in, you are not at a flat enough angle. This is how I scrape that stuff off. The important part is making sure there are no burrs on the bottom side of the scraper. After I sharpen ours, I use a fine stone, flat against the bottom side of the scraper, and remove any burrs from sharpening.

Plastic scrapers just don't work. I know, we bought a set from the Snap-on tool guy. The gaskets just roll the edge of them over.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 06-29-2017, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd think a hard plastic scraper would be the right tool. Maybe something like a windshield ice scraper.

ETA- I see Paul beat me to the punch... I have a windshield scraper made out of clear lexan, about 3/16" thick with the edge cut at about a 30 degree angle. I dunno, but I'd *think* that would work as lexan is pretty hard and that's a thick edge.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with Paul - just going slow with a razor blade scraper held at a flatter angle than normal. I also take much lighter and shorter swaths for better control, and swap out blades pretty often. On cast iron it's pedal to the metal.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
Do not use Rol lock discs or Scotch Brite pads. I use those for fine grinding when I balance crankshafts, so they will make a mess out of your aluminum deck. Best thing to use is a flexible steel gasket scraper, and make sure it is sharp, and burr free on the bottom side that will be against the deck. Also, said gasket scraper should have a sharpened bevel on one side only, and the bottom side should be flat with the rest of the blade. Then you be real careful, and bend the scraper against the deck so as to not be pushing on too steep of an angle to where it trys to bite the deck surface. If you press hard enough to flex the scraper so the blade is at a angle of only a few degrees, you will be able to scrape the gasket off without gouging the deck. Just be careful, and keep the scraper flat to the deck surface, applying even pressure across the width of the scraper, you should be fine. If you feel it trying to dig in, you are not at a flat enough angle. This is how I scrape that stuff off. The important part is making sure there are no burrs on the bottom side of the scraper. After I sharpen ours, I use a fine stone, flat against the bottom side of the scraper, and remove any burrs from sharpening.

Plastic scrapers just don't work. I know, we bought a set from the Snap-on tool guy. The gaskets just roll the edge of them over.

Good ideas here. Our textbooks and ASE test questions always have the "correct" answer to be using a scraper material softer than the material you are scraping. Well, that sounds good but doesn't work very well. I also got scammed into buying a set of plastic scrapers. They don't work well, Any kind of rotary disc can get you in trouble and leave a clean but wavy surface. One thing not mentioned for a really dirty aluminum deck is spray gasket remover to soften the material. I spray the decks and let it soak in for a few minutes, then spray a second time. Then I carefully use a NEW single edge razor and carefully clean a deck. I use a second NEW razor for the other side. Then I finish with a fine stone and lots of honing oil. That will get you a nice, clean, flat surface. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use a scraper that takes single edge blades, but take the time to round over the face to the sides some on a grinding stone and you will then never scratch OT gouge anything Alimunum unless you really work at it.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent a lot of years cleaning gasket material off of aluminum and magnesium. All the suggestions above are good ones. I prefer razor scrapers because you'll break a blade before you damage the base metal.

Dr. Thomas Sowell