Old 04-25-2000, 06:40 PM

I am going to put up a web page showing the differences of hood scoops for different engines and years. Could those of you with scanners/digital cameras post pics of your shaker assembly or e-mail them to me along with what combo you have. I have the '78 400 covered, but that is it at this time. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...oodscoop1.html

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page

Old 04-25-2000, 06:40 PM

I am going to put up a web page showing the differences of hood scoops for different engines and years. Could those of you with scanners/digital cameras post pics of your shaker assembly or e-mail them to me along with what combo you have. I have the '78 400 covered, but that is it at this time. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...oodscoop1.html

------------------

Old 05-07-2000, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

anyidea what standard filter has the dimensions noted on the web site. k&n is a bit pricey.

Old 05-07-2000, 04:10 PM

I am not sure of the Fram number, however I used to work in auto parts and the same filter fit Ram Air GTO's, Tans Am's and Formulas from 1970-1979 ( I do not know why they showed ram air in the later years, but they did). Have your local parts store look up the Ram Air 400 for a '70 T/A and that should be it.

------------------

Old 05-10-2000, 05:36 AM

Keith--I think comparing bases and scoops is a pretty good idea. I get questions periodically about which base works with which scoop and have to admit that it's not been a big topic of study for me. We can all learn a little from that excercise. I'll take a pict or two of my assembly and beam it too you. I'll scan it in for display in jpg format so all you will have to do is insert it etc. Bill

Old 05-12-2000, 10:44 AM

One thing to keep in mind for the pictures of the shaker scoops on the web site is what carburetor is being used... as you probably know, different carburetors that are different heights will result in the shaker sitting at a different height. I know from experience that the Edelbrock Performer series AFB is about a 1/2" shorter than a Q-jet. So when people send you photos of their shakers, they should also note what carb they have (preferably a q-jet so all would be on the same platform). I'll send you a picture of my '76 T/A's shaker scoop when I get the q-jet back on (right now I have the Edelbrock Performer) so you'll have a photo of where a 73-76 shaker sits if you want (I know that you're doing 77 on up, but if you'd like a photo of the older ones I'd be glad to send it).

Later,
Kevin F. Dush
kevin@fizziwigs.com

Old 05-14-2000, 08:24 AM

Pictures of the older ones will be great. As well as the way they fit with different carbs and even fuel injection if anyone has it.

------------------

Old 05-19-2000, 01:29 PM

Pretty sure the actual scoops for 301s & '77+ 400s are the same. The difference appears to be on the bottoms which are riveted on. On the 400s, the "hole" is about 16.75" across whereas it's only about 15.5" for the 301. Also, the spacing on the bottom piece between the scoop and base is about 1.25" all around for the 301 vs a taper of about 1" at the back for the 400 to about 1 cm at the front. The Olds 403 sits further forward. Never got much of a close look at the 80-81 305 scoop. Why bother, huh?

[This message has been edited by Judge Smails (edited 05-19-2000).]

Old 05-19-2000, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"50 bucks says the Smails kid picks his nose"

Guess I ain't the only one who saw CaddyShack [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"
Check out my restoration at http://members.aol.com/jetmech15/gto

Old 05-20-2000, 11:35 AM

Yup, I've kept a low profile since the old boards; had to fake my own death to keep Moose and Rocco from beating the $80Gs out of me. Damn that groundskeeper Carl and his plastic explosives. But, I digress...
As for the shaker bases, I believe the 400 and 403 bases are the same except for the W72 400 bases which seem to have the wide snorkel. Also, I used to have a 301 ('80) base that had the wide snorkel. Go figure.