Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes they did make them without the stud, in the late 80's I saw one in GM packaging. They were in bags, not boxes. paper sided bag deal.. I took one out in the bag and compared it to a 81 base bird and it was same size.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Yes they did make them without the stud, in the late 80's I saw one in GM packaging. They were in bags, not boxes. paper sided bag deal.. I took one out in the bag and compared it to a 81 base bird and it was same size.
oh?

Mine were shipped (as she supposedly recieved them) in little bags plastic;
She said that one which she recieved was not bagged, and slightly scuffed up;
I bought a number of years ago a repop, and although this is clearly the same design, it does appear to be a smidgeon different ~ as in the lucite(?) looks different, and appears to be applied different than the repop I bought...

I have three MPC's;
Two are Firebird specific:
1) 1967-1975 (printed at the onset of the 1975 model year)
2) 1967-1976 (printed later iirc)
And my third is the giant "Pontiac" one which covers all Pontiacs from something like 1977-1981

So then if you're correct, and if I've understood you, these are likely service replacement GM birds made for the early second gen cars, but lacking hte conventional mounting (and alighnment) stud(s) - and done in the stick on style akin to the "3rd" design that I showed in my initial post...

Next question:

Does anyone have an MPC for the 1967-1976 Firebirds which lists this latter stick on service replacement trunk bird?

This might have made me a very happy boy
(because the real GM stuff has seemed thus far to be FAR superior in quality to the repops)

I know that about a decade ago I bought some of the last NOS red PMD centercap inserts left in the GM-Canada's inventory*, and they do appear much darker than the repops - I don't doubt that the colour says better than the repops as well...

* = IIRC at the time there were nine or ten left;
I told my cousin about this, and he and I each ordered four...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)