Old 03-05-2024, 02:46 PM

Default 1980 Trans Am 301 4bbl not Turbo

I need a carburetor expert. I've had 3 old cars now w/ Rochester 4 bbl. This one is strange. It works pretty well finally but there is still a hesitation at acceleration while a partly warm engine. Good start cold & drive away in fast idle top 2 steps. After its run a while & completely warmed up, it's great also. Just that in between area is poor.

I understand the choke coil thermostat controls the length of time the choke plate is open & in fast idle. Also, to a degree how much the plate opens as it's warming.

I adjusted it so it's just closing dead cold. Then the pull off opens it to keep it running at first. My issue is, even w/ a long fast idle time , plate begins opening too far too soon.

Would bending the rod to the plate richer, help prevent this lean condition, yet let fast idle drop sooner? I'm looking to get it perfect as possible. Having fun w/ my car.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im nt a carb expert, but have messed with adjusting q-jets on mid to late 70's & early 80s CCC carbs. Sounds like you understand the workings of the choke pretty well, adjusting the thermostat coil dial most will have a lean/rich indicator and when you turn it either direction it will effect how short/long the choke flap opens. The service manual mentions bending the rod as needed.

The other thing to play with is the fast idle screw, it will change how long or how high of rpm the choke stays on the fast idle ramps, if all the linkage is working smoothly you should be able to dial it in pretty good.

There are some members on here that know q-jets very well but the best option to talk to or order parts from is cliff r, should be able to find him on other threads and send a message, or google his website and give a call.