Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Flare hole location

Would some one be able to get me dimensions or a template for the hole positions for my front and rear wheel flares? I need to drill the holes in the fenders and rear quarter panel. When I started buying parts for my car 2 years ago I was naive to believe ames statement that there TA fenders fit 70-81. Well the do fit just not right. They have the holes in the fenders for the flares just not the right location for my 70 flares. I also replaced both rear quarters so I am going into this blind. any help would be very much appreciated. This is something I unfortunetly over looked in the prebuild state and the car is almost finished.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HELP

I will help you unless someone posts before me...the T/A fenders are factory drilled so I can post pics & measurments....on my rear 1/4s (n.o.s. replacements)...I transfefered the holes using the original sheet metal..problem is I need a new camera so atleast not til next week...so you are covered either way...also gives you time to reconsider...peace

Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the flares original? I have the fiberglass ones and they had no provision on the backside. I ended up just mounting them with the screws through the wheel well opening. They fit great.

Btw the car looks great! I'm really liking the Formy hood with T/A fenders and spoilers.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

I purchased these flares from Texas Trans Am. I believe they are made by Danko. They have the provisions for original bolt on installation. They match the body lines well on the front. but the rears have studs on them, and without separating the fiber glass I don't think I can remove them. so until i get the holes in place it will be hard to tell. Like most after market parts a heat gun is your best friend with these. I was just hoping for some kind of template to get them close.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam1972 View Post
I will help you unless someone posts before me...the T/A fenders are factory drilled so I can post pics & measurments....on my rear 1/4s (n.o.s. replacements)...I transfefered the holes using the original sheet metal..problem is I need a new camera so atleast not til next week...so you are covered either way...also gives you time to reconsider...peace
This project is in its 2nd year so next week or so would be great. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Btw the car looks great! I'm really liking the Formy hood with T/A fenders and spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Bill Porter would Like it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I KNEW HE WOULD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70f400 View Post
Btw the car looks great! I'm really liking the Formy hood with T/A fenders and spoilers.
Bill Porter would Like it....I WAS JUST MESSING WITH YOU! (its in my nature)...I have 70 to 81 n.o.s. fenders and I will get some measurements tonight...hard to believe the reproduction fender holes are different..we will soon find out!
[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]

Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Man, I like the look of the car as is. If it was mine, I would plug those front flare mounting holes and enjoy that car. The look, stance, wheels,....everything just really work.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Bob

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Man, I like the look of the car as is. If it was mine, I would plug those front flare mounting holes and enjoy that car. The look, stance, wheels,....everything just really work.
Bob, Thanks, I will think about it. I really like the look of the flares and front spoiler. I waited 4 months and paid a lot for them. It really has come along way since this time last year.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default mesurments

I am agreeing to post these numbers with the understanding that the TRANS AM stripes are added to the car (Bill Porter would have wanted it that way)....I will get photos up somehow soon but...so on a front fender are 4 holes...starting at the bottem of the fender and just measuring from the wheel well I get 1 1/4 next up hold the tape to include the fender lip 3 3/8 next up (like the first) just measure the wheel well edge 1 3/8 and last this measurement includes the wheel well lip 6 3/8...of course these readings are in inches (that would be one big giant T/A if it was feet)...I will get pics with the readings but these make sense...they made a big deal about how well the reproduction fenders fit..I find it hard to believe the holes are in the wrong place..I am also using n.o.s. air dams and they fit like a glove...and I owe you rear measurments...coming soon

Old 03-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you so much, This will help a lot. I have talked to a local shop about trying to reproduce the Trans am stripe for this car using the 69 photos as a guide. We will see what happens.
As far as the quality of these reproduction fenders from Ames, They were the nicest repo part I have purchased. Several people I know who are professional body men agree they are excellent. The Fenders are listed as 77-81 fenders it stated that the only difference in the 70-76 was the inner bracing which I removed from some old rotted fenders and welded them in place on the new fenders for the lower valance mounting. I spoke with them on there listing of the correct 70-76 fender at the time and they were not available. So I believe the holes in the fenders for the flares are for the newer style flares.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im taking apart a blue 70 Formula right now that had all this on it. Looks hideous to me on a formula, but to each his own..Maybe Ill try to save the parts since these were installed long before repops.
Your car looks great and sleek without the flares FYI

Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default FENDER BENDER

Quote:
Thank you so much, This will help a lot. I have talked to a local shop about trying to reproduce the Trans am stripe for this car using the 69 photos as a guide. We will see what happens.
As far as the quality of these reproduction fenders from Ames, They were the nicest repo part I have purchased. Several people I know who are professional body men agree they are excellent. The Fenders are listed as 77-81 fenders it stated that the only difference in the 70-76 was the inner bracing which I removed from some old rotted fenders and welded them in place on the new fenders for the lower valance mounting. I spoke with them on there listing of the correct 70-76 fender at the time and they were not available. So I believe the holes in the fenders for the flares are for the newer style flares.
...I will post my fender part # to see when they were made...that's a bit messed up if the front holes changed (we need to be certain of this, I may need to visit the 77 -81 forum)...I have brand new ( bought 1990) GM fenders..my 1970 to 1978 air dams fit fine...the lower piece I swapped out on the front fender is not even used with the original poly or repop plastic valance (only the steel valance uses the bolt holes)...I am still on the fence regarding changing upper inner bracing strictly for asthetics...not like my dash has RADIAL TUNED SUSPENSION...if only NORWOOD would make a kit to back date the fenders...anyway I will be checking back

Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ahhh I missed the part about repo fenders. I have later fenders on my car and I believe the holes are different, but I didn't use the mounting studs so I don't know for sure.

The car will look great when its done!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default holes

actually dawned on me..I am making you a template for the rear flair holes..in addition to measurements...please PM me your address..I believe this to be the best way...T/C

Old 03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Pm sent, let me know if you don't get it I keep getting data base error message on pm

Old 03-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HARDWARE

do you need correct mounting hardware for your front spoilers? (or did it come with the screws & clips?)..as I have extra N/C if you need..same as radiator shroud hardware..working on template..

Old 03-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Senior Chief

That would be great. I didn't see much for the front spoiler as far as hardware. I owe you a steak dinner. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steak dinner did someone mention steak?? car looks great and major job breaking it down to shell...Congrats and wish you many happy miles. Will you be at Norwalk or Nats this year?? would love to see it in person.