Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fender Flares that Fit

Who has purchased after market fender flares that actually fit and if they fit where did you purchase them? These would be for a '71 bird. Thanks for the replies.

Alternately if you have some factory flares in good/restoreable condition please PM me.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past....the ones from Danko Direct were the best fit...and match...make sure you get the ones with installation brackets...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Senior Chief

Funny you mention that because I bought the ones from Danko thinking that would be the best option and they don't fit as seen below. I really don't think the fenders are too small so it must be the flares, right?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have fiberglass ones that look a lot like the ones you posted. They didn't fit well when held up to the fender, but when I installed them with the lower spoiler and all the welting they actually look pretty good.

The only thing I don't like about them is they don't have the mounting brackets inside them, so the only thing holding them on is the screws that install in the wheel opening, and the bolts that connect them to the center section. I've had the car moving pretty well on the highway and they haven't budged, so I'm not worried about them.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

72projectbird,

I have the mounting brackets and the holes are not even close. Additionally the mounting bracket on the passenger side is in cock-eyed and prevents the flare from being tight to the wheel well opening.

Can you post a pic of the fitment on yours?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

So to add to this thread I want to convey a phone call to Danko. First of all Danko was very helpful in helping me determine the issue here. Talking to Moshe at Danko we determined that my fenders are in fact 79-81 fenders when I was lead to believe when I purchased these fenders that they were of '77-'78 origin so my bad there. While I was under the impression that ALL fenders 70-81 are the same dimensionally they are in fact slightly different in the spoiler area. Moshe was able to sent me pictures of their flares on 70-78 and 79-81 sheet metal and they fit fine. When he placed the 70-78 flare on the 79 sheet metal he got the same result as pictured above.

So, I now have a good set of '79-'81 fenders for sale and I am on the hunt for some good '70-'78 in the North Carolina area.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I'm going to disagree with this. Although I never say never, to the best of my knowledge all 70-81 fender skins are the same.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

I thought the same and maybe I still do but a flare that fit well on a 70-78 fender did not line up on a 79-81 fender....a mystery for sure

Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After 1978 replacement GM fenders had holes punched for both 70-78 and 79-81 flairs. So Pontiac thought that they were the same as well.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	409445  

Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

I can't explain other than the results I got trying to fit the spoilers as you see in the pics above. The flairs are for '71 and the fender are drilled with the four holes as you describe ala '79-'81. They don't fit and the holes don't line up...a puzzle for sure. I'm hunting for the solution and the best I can describe is that something is certainly different.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem is the lack is quality of the danko product. Do you think danko is going to tell you their product fits poorly due to their lack of quality. Get some gm made ones and they will fit or get danko to swap you a set. I have had some of the dankos that fit perfect and Others that didn't. It's because of the hap hazard way they glue the bracket in. It's hit or miss and sounds like your missed

Old 10-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinger View Post
So to add to this thread I want to convey a phone call to Danko. First of all Danko was very helpful in helping me determine the issue here. Talking to Moshe at Danko we determined that my fenders are in fact 79-81 fenders when I was lead to believe when I purchased these fenders that they were of '77-'78 origin so my bad there. While I was under the impression that ALL fenders 70-81 are the same dimensionally they are in fact slightly different in the spoiler area. Moshe was able to sent me pictures of their flares on 70-78 and 79-81 sheet metal and they fit fine. When he placed the 70-78 flare on the 79 sheet metal he got the same result as pictured above.

So, I now have a good set of '79-'81 fenders for sale and I am on the hunt for some good '70-'78 in the North Carolina area.
Just to add to your confusion, I have 79 fenders on my car and they fit good.

I'll try and grab a pic tomorrow, but for now heres a pic from a car show. please excuse the lower valance fitment, I really need to get that straightened out.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Senior Chief

Norwood,

I think you are on the right track. I took a series of measurements between the two flares from as many reference points as I could identify as well as the vehicle and dimensionaly the flares are all over the place. For example, measuring from the wheel well to the center of one of the bolt holes on the fender I get 3.375". Measuring from the interior of the flare to the bolt hole I get 3.125" on one flare and 2.625" on the other. No way this is ever going together. I have forwarded pictures indicating all this to Danko tonight so we'll see what happens in the AM.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I completely agree with the other comments that the 70-81 fender skins are the same shape. The fact that the supplier of the flares doesn't know this is disturbing, considering their business.

As a footnote, most of us have seen 79-81's with earlier noses and/or hoods and those 79-81 fenders aligned perfectly in those cases. The opposite is also true as 79-81 front ends have shown up on earlier Birds.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

I have a phone conference set up next week to discuss this topic in detail with the folks at Danko. After digging into this I agree the the outward appearance and dimensions of all 70-81 fenders are identical. I'll report back how that goes and maybe we all get better fitting parts should we decide to purchase from Danko as a result.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell them Norwood said they could own the repop market on these if they would pay attention and properly install the brackets. They are all over the place on this. Their piece parts are good but when they Assemble them they need to do a better job.