Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Pontiac newbie questions

Hey everyone,

New to the thread and to Pontiacs, last year I saved a 1967 Grand Prix from the junkyard for the low low price of $900. It had been sitting a long time in their for sale lot and I suppose they needed the space so if nobody was going to buy it they were going to crush it.

I've made my introductions over in the Lobby but now that I've started putting some time into the car naturally I have a few questions.

First, what areas of the car and components can I look at to confirm the drivetrain is original to the car? I dug a little into it in my intro thread and was able to confirm the engine is a 67 block but didn't get much further than that, although looking at everything I think it may be safe to assume that the drivetrain is factory original.

Second, is there a diagram or resource that shows how the car's sheet metal is welded together? There's a good amount of rust in the rear of the car, the trunk and window gutters as well as the weatherstripping channel are rusted out and will require replacement. I figure with the amount of rust present (I'll have to post a picture) it would be a better course of action to replace big sections by drilling spot welds and removing the panel itself rather than piecing together small sections which I *think* would save me some time and headache.

Also, where would be the best place to put a build thread? Is the Street forum the place or would the 67-79 Big Pontiac Tech be more appropriate?

I think for the time being I'm going to work on the mechanical side of the car as that's what I'm comfortable doing, eventually I'd like to take the body off but I'm limited on space at the moment so that's much much further down the line.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200820_130507.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	568989

Name:	IMG_20210110_000905.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	568990