Old 07-07-2015, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default cross member question

piecing a 71 GTO back together from a basket case.

are all 70-72 cross members the same or is there a difference between the stick and auto versions?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not on a Pontiac they are the same, or at least they all interchange..i think there may be a part number but ive done the swap...ive actually seen them side by side and heres what i found.

a couple 4 speed crossmembers ive actually pulled out of cars where 400 turbo crossmembers...the brake cable went thru the crossmember

the few 3 speed ive pulled had a 350 turbo crossmember...the cable went under the crossmember

but they are so similar in size and shape...and either works

ive seen restored 4 speed cars and they had the 350 turbo crossmembers, and 400..so i dont know...for sure which is resto correct..these are just my experiences

thinking back,,maybe 70 up used the 400 cross, because of the 661 case..it uses a 400 turbo yoke..hmmm...i have pics i pulled off this site...with 400 turbo crossmembers in 4 speed cars..they where 70 and 71 cars...let me look

ive put a bunch of sticks in auto cars...i just slid the crossmember where it needed to be and it all bolted in..i never had to buy another crossmember

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that is what I was thinking, that you just moved them up or back depending on what you needed.
been too long since I worked on my 70 to remember, getting old, LOL.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

tell me about it...i can remember what i did in 77 but have no clue what i did 3 days ago...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don'to forget beginning in '75 that they changed as it was the first year of cats and all duals were single until past the cat and then duals. Trans cross member was modified to accommodate the single exhaust.

I had a '75 GP SJ w/455. It had duals installed installed by a muffler shop within the first 500 miles. I was under it one time to change the flex plate and noticed it was different from my '65 GTO, '70 GP w/455 and the '71 T-37 455HO.

Last edited by Jack Peters; 07-07-2015 at 11:58 PM.