67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Question Value needed for my 69 firebird OHC6 motor and tranny

I have my 69 firebird for sale and it currently has a 350 installed with a muncie tranny. I also have the original OHC 6 motor (1 bbl) and 3 speed tranny that I pulled out of the car when I did the engine swap. I have been trying to sell this as a package deal to keep the original parts with the car but no success so far.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to get for the original motor and tranny if I end up selling it without the car and current motor? I just have no idea what it is worth but there is a ton of interest. Both are in perfect running condition. They were installed when I bought the car and I drove it for about 6 months with no problems.

Thanks so much!

Oh and if you happen to be reading this and are interested in my vehicle I'm posting it in the for sale forum here also.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the exact same thing -- kept the OHC6 (1 bbl) and 3-speed manual out of my 69. To be honest, I don't think they're worth much. Mine is sitting in the middle of my garage taking up space and collecting dust.

There's an OHC6 site at http://p075.ezboard.com/Pontiac-Over...Forum/bsohcsix that may draw interest.

John

Old 07-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a shame is it an original sprint car??

Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue70 Send a message via Skype™ to Blue70

I have a very rusty 69 4 speed 4 barrel Sprint that I am also thinking of getting rid of but have no idea what it is worth.....big job to fix but it is basically drivetrain complete. Hate to part it out.

1967 400 'bird 4 speed
1967 Firebird Sprint
1972 Trans Am
1973 Esprit
1976 T/A Carousel red (for sale resto project)

I think I need therapy...and a bigger garage....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 4 bbl sprint will be worth some money. The standard 1 bbl won't.

Firebirdgirl, good luck on your sale. It's a very nice convertible! Unfortunately, I think the Chevy motor will limit your audience of buyers and price...

John

Old 07-20-2007, 03:35 PM

I'd deffinitely fix up that sprint motor. That will be worth it. I went through PHS to find if mine was a sprint or not because it had sprint emblems on it. Turns out, it's not. But before I knew that I had people beeting my door down for what they thought was a sprint motor.

As far as the value, if it's only worth around $500 I'm not going to even bother selling it seperately. It's not worth separating it from the original car for that.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Chief

hi there,
do you have a link to your car?
TIA
Colin

Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Link

I know you already found it but incase anyone else is looking....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=528232

Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Chief

Ya i found it- NICE CAR-as said above It seems that chev motors in Pontiac is not a very good selling point well to get the $$ we know the car is worth. I bought a 68 convert 4 speed car with a chev 350 last fall for 13k this was a California black plate car and in really good condition. I am currently dropping in a 68 400 in it.
good luck with your sell firebirdgirl as its a beauty.

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00639.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	98884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00884.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	98885  

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Saw your car at Hershey when you had it at $30k. Liked your little flyer. I actually have it on my desk. It looks like my '69 conv. Now I see it on eBay for $25, still too much.

I think you invested too much money into a car that didn't deserve it. You have a base car that offers no desirable options to buyers. I would suggest you sell the motor on some Chevy forum and put back the OHC 6. If you get a combined $20k, I think you will be lucky. Most people looking for a rebuildable car, will prefer not to pay for the Chevy motor. Considering the great shape the body is in, someone may be more likely to buy the car with the six.

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM

You saw it at Carlisle not Hershey. I'm not asking too much. The problem with people these days is that they don't want to pay what things are worth and everyone thinks they deserve a deal. I'm asking less than Nada for the car and just try building that motor for less than $10,000! I didn't go slap some crate crap in it and call it a muscle car. It's a sprint car motor made street legal. I know the car will take a unique buyer but someone will enjoy whipping all the others with it.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Chief

hey firebirdgirl,
all BS aside & just an opinion- look for a Pontiac 400 and switch it from the chev motor sell the car with the Pontiac 400 and sell the chev motor and you will do ok. I have had Camaro's with 400+ hp but my 69 Pontiac 400 really felt like it had more get up and go.
anyways nice car and good luck on your sell.

Colin

Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Colin,

Finally, an idea I can acually do. Thanks. Everyone keeps saying to go back to the six and that is more of a swap than I'm up for. If I'm going to switch it out for anything it needs to be more compatible than a 6 so it wont take a month per cylinder haha. I need to do something and I'll do some more research into this method because I know I could sell the motor seperately or my Dad would probably even put it in his Austin Healy replica. I wonder what the car would do without a motor in it selling it with the 6? Just pull the one I have so people don't have to pay for it.

I'm just so overwhelmed right now with a baby on the way that I can't think for myself. I have too much going on.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Chief

hey firebirdgirl,
you could pickup a 400 for around about $1000 thats what I paid for mine, look for 1 thats complete with all the brackets if possible & get frame mounts/motor mounts/bell housing/starter anyways its not a lot of $$ to switch it over and you would get a good $$ for your 69. I think 69's are the best looking Firebird (my opinion) and a lot of work. I am very close to getting mine finished as parts here are hard to find and so is the time to do it but the guys on this forum are an excellent resource and very helpful.
good luck with what ever you decide and CONGRATS on the baby.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree -- if you can swing it, sell the Chevy motor separately and stick a Pontiac V8 in there. You should be able to get good $$ for the motor, and I would think at least the high teens for the bird.

Good luck!

John