Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shipping a '73 Bumper

What does a '73 bumper weigh, including brackets and grilles?

Is there a cheaper alternative than Greyhound Package Express (assuming it is light enough to go Greyhound)?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 PM

It can go greyhound. The 70-72 bird bumper is about 45lbs. Dunno how much the 73 brackets weigh but grills are light. I shipped a fully loaded 68 Lemans chrome front bumper with lights grills etc. cross country on Greyhound and a fiberglass bodied racing Kart using them also. The rear axle from the Kart went in a separate box because of weight limit.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, John. Seller is balking at shipping cross country to me.

Suggested Greyhound if he is willing to change his mind. We shall see.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 AM

The 73 Bumper with all the bracing and attaching brackets is in the range of 80-100 pounds. The bumper alone is about 50 pounds.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don’t know if they are in both your areas but Fastenal does this too. The problem is it is not the fastest way to receive freight.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

I had a bumper shipped from Wisconsin to Seattle. It cost me $150, if I remember correctly. Complete bumper grills lights. The thing is heavy! But I couldn't pass on the price back then on the bumper. You may also save on shipping costs if sent to a business. Hope that helps!

http://www.sdperformance.com/

Drag racing. An adrenalin rush like no other. It felt like going into combat, tasting your first beer, and losing you virginity, all in about 8 seconds.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i would never use grey hound, google them..they have really turned into a night mare...i used to use them a lot..and i mean a lot..no more..they arent a deal, and its the drivers responsibility to get it off the bus, and if he doesnt feel like it..it stays there until someone does..

i sold a metal section in kansas city to white plains NY...after a week without it showing up..i took about 4 hrs and figured out it was in oregon...luckily the guy was ok with it..

it took more than 3 weeks to get delivered..and no sorrys no excuses..they yelled at me on the phone and explained the whole driver responsibility thing to me.....so...that was that..

i use fastenal..all the time now...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had 70-72 bumpers shipped via Fedex -- just wrap them in cardboard. That was years ago, don't know what price would be now.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did pick up on the Fastenal suggestion. The first guy just didn't want to fool with shipping. I found a 2nd one much closer to home but somebody beat me to it. Seller was waiting on payment and said he would let me know if the deal falls thru. It would be great if I could find what I need close to home. I'll keep looking. But I will definitely go thru Fastenal if I can find one that needs to be shipped. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be the drivers responsibility to get it off the bus, but the driver is an agent of Greyhound thus making them responsible

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V

Not sure where you are but saw this one:

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/p...366072827.html

Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, where ya at? I have a really good 73 bumper..i took it off a car, and fits really nice..never wrecked..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 11-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John - if you find one in the northern Midwest, and are not in a big hurry, I could bring it to you some time this winter.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
John - if you find one in the northern Midwest, and are not in a big hurry, I could bring it to you some time this winter.

K
Keith, excellent offer! We'll talk.

Meanwhile, what I am after is a pretty complete front nose. My goal is to replace the '70-'72 bumper with a correct '73.

Figuring it would be cheaper and easier to get a "package" deal, a bare bumper is enticing if great condition and cheap but that leaves me needing brackets that I understand are '73 only, grilles, headlight buckets (mine are not the best), and the pesky '73 only hood release mechanism. I already picked up a pretty decent core support from a '73 with the big fender braces. But there are probably a bunch of other items that I don't even know about yet that I will need and finding it all off of a single '73 parts car would be ideal.

The one 3000 miles away seemed to fit the bill so it was a bummer that he wouldn't ship it. The 2nd one seemed to be an even better deal but looks like somebody else beat me to it.

So I'll keep looking. Didn't intend this to seem like a Parts Wanted request, I understand the rules. Just trying to explain my situation.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure where you're located, but I have one in Utah.....

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 11-24-2017, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

You want that puppy safe, fastnal ,$150. Period. They don't stack, you can't have it hanging off and no insurance if not Enclosed, but I have not had a problem yet. I do have one with Grilles in Chicago land area. Hopefully you find what you need, good luck friend