Old 10-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1974 Cluster Lights

I've just had the gauges refreshed on my 74 T/A, including a new printed circuit board.

One of the bulbs on the RH side of the cluster (speedometer side) is wired in from a separate source i.e. it 'unplugs' from the cluster in order to remove it whereas all of the other bulbs plug into the cluster itself.

Does anyone know what this lamp is? I've received the cluster back with all of the lamps in place i.e. there is no open hole for the one that stays in the car. Is this maybe just a regular dash light bulb that feeds another source? Ashtray maybe?

If I need to post pics to explain this better - let me know.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you talking about the bulb that has the fiberoptic (for lack of a better word) tubing that goes to the ashtray and lights it?

Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Are you talking about the bulb that has the fiberoptic (for lack of a better word) tubing that goes to the ashtray and lights it?
Yep - I was just coming back here to update the post. It's the fiber optic line for the ashtray light and it looks like it doesn't really matter which bulb lamp hole it slots into.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just got done reinstalling the cluster after Pete Serio worked his magic on it. Nice to have accurate readings and a clock that actually works (quartz replacement). This is back in the driveway idling after a brisk 30 minute drive;

Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 AM
Suspended

That bulb will feed the ash tray but it goes in the hole for the head lamp lights. That bulb lights up the little square area that shows the headlamp detail so you can see the headlamp switch at night.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe on your '73 GTO, but not for where he was posting in. The bulb assembly goes in the upper LH hole (or RH when looking at the gauge faces) of instrument cluster. Try to stay in your section to get your post count up and quit posting where others have to correct the misinformation.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Suspended

I posted that because I believe when I had my cluster out on my 73 T/A thats where that bulb went. Plus I don't care about any post count, maybe some do but I don't care about it.