Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pontiac windage tray paint

I was told it was ok to paint the Pontiac windage tray with vht 650 degree engine paint. .

Any pros and cons

Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All Cons: enough oil splashes on it to not rust and cannot see it. No value added... if it flakes off it may plug the oil pickup screen. I would spend more time blue printing the oil pump , waterpump and having distributor re-curved. You will appreciate the time spent on those vice your windage tray...

Good Luck

Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Conned....Ignore anything else that person tells you.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paint serves no purpose on the inside of the engine. There's nothing but downside.

I'm not sure that applies to specialty coatings such as ceramic heat barriers or polymer oil-shedders; although it might. The expensive specialty coatings are also typically applied with considerably more care, to parts that have had extensive prep-work, and which didn't have previous service allowing oil to soak into the metal pores.

I know a guy who experimented with piston anti-scuff coatings supplied to DIY hobbyists. He was all for 'em after the first engine. Just after he did the second one, the first one needed to come apart. He found that none of the coating survived. That was the end of him coating piston skirts--although the factory-silkscreened skirts seem to work very well.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds like the same kind of uninformed person who thinks that the Pistons are driven by explosions!
The main thing that needs to be done to factory windage tray is spending a good amount of time rounding over all the sharp edges and 90 degree corner cuts on them that make for the starting point of cracks that take them out!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not trust anything you can apply yourself to stay on any part inside the engine. Some aftermarket trays used to be PTFE, (Teflon), coated. Don't even know if they do that anymore. There is no reason to paint anything inside the engine. It is interesting to note on a fresh engine, with everything done properly. When you cut open the 1st oil filter for inspection, there is always paint in the filter media. This is when you are trying to keep all the paint out. I can't imagine how much paint would be in there if you painted stuff inside the engine on purpose!. Not recommended.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. ......and we'll noted.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 AM

I thought pistons WERE driven by explosions?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they are driven by the gases previously compressed on the compression stroke expanding when exposed to the heat of controlled combustion of fuel.

You know .... what normal people call an explosion

Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I think they are driven by the gases previously compressed on the compression stroke expanding when exposed to the heat of controlled combustion of fuel.

You know .... what normal people call an explosion
Yeah, it's a bit of a semantics thing, but what's happening inside the combustion chamber is not an explosion. Well, at least not in a properly running engine...

Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pistons are driven by expanding hot air, when you hear a motor ping, or worse yet knock then your approaching the speed / burn rate of a slow explosion.

The burn rate in a high performance motor is some 225 mph, the burn rate of dynamite is 2000!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!