Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Date code matching

I have a general question about date codes on the parts that are non-core on an engine, such as carbs, distributors, starters and alternators.

I have a X coded 1972 4-spd A-body that was built mid-April 1972 that is missing the original motor. I have gathered up the following parts for it:

- A WM block dated B292.
- 7F6 heads dated I171,
- A 7042273 carb dated around September 1971
- A 436 starter dated Feb 1, 1971.

Ideallly the WM block is cutting it close, but might work. I have a chance to get some 1st or 2nd week March 1972 7F6 heads, which are closer to the block but probably too close to the date of the car. I think the carb date is way off.

What about the starter dates? Is a full year before the car even in the ballpark? What date spreads have you guys seen on starters?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a lot of numbers matching 455 HO in 71-72 without there dated starters or carbs.

That drive the parts price...A body or F body won't matter for correct dated price.

A NOM A body with X and Vert will matter. IMHO

Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 PM

There are many opinions on this. Here is what I have found over the years of restoring and parting out cars. Most accessory parts like water pumps, carbs, alternators, starters , plug wires etc generally pre date the engine casting date within 3 months . There are always exceptions but usually not a full year before the build date. One specific instance is with the Ram Air III and IV distributors. There was only one production run a quarter for these HP parts.
, so having one maybe 6 months predated would not be concerning. Another circumstance where there may be some variance might be during production change over from model year to model year. Late production from one year to early production of the next.

One other side note on date coded parts. Even parts like temperature sending units, vacuum modulators, wheels, and hoses, just to name a few have date codes. It is all relative to how important you believe it is for the car to be numbers / date matched.