Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I must not be in it for the money.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Critter,

I bought most of my cars long before collecting cars became fashionable. People said I was nuts.

When I got out of college 25 yrs ago with an engineering degree, I went into product R & D. What I never anticipated was how much control the bean counters have over engineering.

Technology jobs are very closely tied to the economic cycle. So after one almost forced relocation, one forced relocation, and one layoff, I decided it was in my best interest to understand the economic cycle and anticipate it rather than be blindsided by it. That has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I sold my Ram IV Judge, a 71 T/A, and various other cars after layoffs or relocations. Hopefully, that will never happen again.

Mike

Old 08-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Suspended

i bought this car.i think everybody was napping on this one.the car was everything he said and more.i have already removed the wrong decals and will be putting the right ones on next week.he never ran a phs.the car has 20 options.the lack of pictures really help me also.you can eat off the bottom of this car.it is the best and most original sd i have seen for sale on ebay.i tried to buy a couple of other sd cars on ebay,they wouldnt let them go for under 65k.i think if you watch closely and look for the car that is not properly advertised,you can still get a really good car for less than market value.this is the second car this year i got a really good buy on because the owner did not properly advertise the car.this 74 sd is everything he said it was and more.i drove it about 50 miles today,like driving a brand new car.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsgtos2
i bought this car.i think everybody was napping on this one.the car was everything he said and more.i have already removed the wrong decals and will be putting the right ones on next week.he never ran a phs.the car has 20 options.the lack of pictures really help me also.you can eat off the bottom of this car.it is the best and most original sd i have seen for sale on ebay.i tried to buy a couple of other sd cars on ebay,they wouldnt let them go for under 65k.i think if you watch closely and look for the car that is not properly advertised,you can still get a really good car for less than market value.this is the second car this year i got a really good buy on because the owner did not properly advertise the car.this 74 sd is everything he said it was and more.i drove it about 50 miles today,like driving a brand new car.

BID RETRACTION?.........NAPPING?

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

right on greg!
folks would rather judge these cars from the surface, than look past the insignificant oddities. Sure the car had the wrong decals but does this mean that the car should be written off as "botched-up"?
Hell, the thing even had the "wools-hair" accordian hose still on it.
Take my car for example. It was a Dallas based car, 60K miles, advertized in smoke signals for several weeks, back in '99. I called the guy up and he told me that no one would even come look at the car as it was advertized with a sunroof. The price was $15K and I wanted an SD bad so if worse came to worse, I could always "graft" a solid roof to the car. I hooked up U-haul and drove 4 hours to have look and sure enough, its a damn good thing I did.
Like you said, the deals are out there and if one approaches with an openmind they can reap the rewards.

Last edited by Larry Navarro; 08-26-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prices are down and will go lower still.

Driver condition 70 4spd Judge for less than 30k? 70 Judge Vert needing restoration for 75k? regular GTO's in nice driver/cruise condition in the mid teens? Wait till we see nice older restored 69 TA's in the 40's & 50's.

Some of the super rare stuff is already available - RA IV convertibles? take your pick 69/70 GTO and even 69 Birds. I know of 3 69 RAIV TA's that have just changed hands.

The next 12 months will be a great time to buy and a lousy time to sell.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time the economy tanks, people sell. Been that way all along. I loved it when the dot com bust hit. Crazy times.

By saying I'm not in it for the money I only meant that I love to drive and race my car. It's not terribly original or collectable, even though it is an X code car. For that reason, I'll continue to thrash it and have fun.

If any of you are at the Trail Of Tears show and race in Sikeston next weekend, you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Thank God prices are starting to tank! The past few years rise in prices has been taking the cars out of the gearhead's garages and putting them into climate controlled storage. Every time I go to a cruise in or show, there are more and more old rich dudes flossing on a hundred thousand dollar car that has (and never will) never broken a tire free for fun. Just a few years ago (late '90s), there were plenty of young guys with pretty hot, if far from perfect, cars that were cruised, raced and driven regularly. You could pick up some tough iron for less than $15k, and have fun with it. How many of these "investors" are actually having any fun at all with their "investments"?
Investors take the fun out of the old car thing for all of us. I understand having a few cars, or even a collection, but driving up prices of cars that are viewed as investments, not as the whole old car "package", just keeps regular, blue collar guys like me out of a club that is growing rapidly more exclusive. I was glad when the tri-5s started dropping in value, because I started seeing more out cruisin'. I was glad when the whole billet-and-red-paint street rod thing played out, because I stopped seeing those old duffers and started seeing hammered homebuilts, some of them made out of "used" Boyd-style rods. Low prices for raw material are good for our hobby.