Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 69 FB factory A/C

Getting ready to put my 69 FB back together, have front clip off, motor/tranny out, front subframe out, and rear suspension out.

Question is, while I have the front clip off and the A/C is easily accessible, is there any way to check out the evaporator and other A/C parts to make sure they work BEFORE putting everything back together?

Thanks Stan

Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only thing I would know of doing would be flushing evap and condenser, and maybe a leak check of system components if you pressurize them with air and do a rate of fall pressure check. Or, put it under vacuum and do a rate of rise. Some a/c shops might have more sophisticated equipment to do a leak check.

POA valves can be bench tested with air pressure to see if they regulate pressure properly. It would require an air compressor and a/c gauges.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Only thing I would know of doing would be flushing evap and condenser, and maybe a leak check of system components if you pressurize them with air and do a rate of fall pressure check. Or, put it under vacuum and do a rate of rise. Some a/c shops might have more sophisticated equipment to do a leak check.

POA valves can be bench tested with air pressure to see if they regulate pressure properly. It would require an air compressor and a/c gauges.

Thanks, pretty much what I wanted to know, just hate to put the whole damn car back together and then have an issue.

I will pull and check the fan motor and while I'm at it I will either check or replace the heater core, as this car has sat for 12 years.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replace all the rubber hose with the new barrier type hose.
The metal fittings can be reused.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you planning on using 12 or 134a?

If 134a you will want to drain the compressor and flush the condenser and evaporator to get rid of the mineral oil. I would change the the hoses as Ollie suggested, and I would replace the o rings at all the fittings as well with the green ones. They have universal kits at NAPA for about $10 on the pegboard. You might think about putting a larger condenser in the car as well. You will need to change the service ports to the 134a fittings as well, kits are available.

A new receiver dryer would be a good idea if the system has been opened for awhile.

I would do the 134 conversion since the system has been empty for awhile. Now would be the time.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
Are you planning on using 12 or 134a?

If 134a you will want to drain the compressor and flush the condenser and evaporator to get rid of the mineral oil. I would change the the hoses as Ollie suggested, and I would replace the o rings at all the fittings as well with the green ones. They have universal kits at NAPA for about $10 on the pegboard. You might think about putting a larger condenser in the car as well. You will need to change the service ports to the 134a fittings as well, kits are available.

A new receiver dryer would be a good idea if the system has been opened for awhile.

I would do the 134 conversion since the system has been empty for awhile. Now would be the time.

Appreciate the suggestions from both you and Ollie, I guess this is kind of my dilemma, should I just bite the bullet a put in a new vintage air system and be done with it.

I see they do make them now for factory A/C cars, at least that way I would know it would work, plus I would still have A/C but with a lot more room in the engine bay.

Big problem is that the car has sat for 12 years, and the A/C NEVER worked as long as I have owned it, so it's kind of a crap shoot.

Thanks Stan