Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was a kid I wasn't hanging at garages either?

Not sure what that means anyways....

I grew up and when I was driving age I desired cars a lot more. Muscle cars where the thing I wanted and still like.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
maybe you guys just don’t have cool enough cars
Yeah, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
When I was a kid I wasn't hanging at garages either?

Not sure what that means anyways....

I grew up and when I was driving age I desired cars a lot more. Muscle cars where the thing I wanted and still like.
My next door neighbor came home from Vietnam and a week later drove up the street in his brand new, Verdoro Green 69 GTO. I went running over to see it as he pulled into their driveway & got the first ride - I've been ruined ever since (6 years old at the time). There were a lot of days after that that I could be found over there watching him work on it & handing him tools (getting beer from the fridge too).

Flash forward to 1984 when I bought my 77 Formula & promptly blew the 350 on the second day I owned it and the 400 from that same GTO was the heart transplant that saved my car.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The hook happens at different ages I guess...I get my Son and his buddies interested, and talking their future dream muscle...They even have been to a few shows to see them.

They love going sideways down the street in my GT-37, and I do too...

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike you need to be careful as those Elmhurst cops show up if you go 35 down your street

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same argument comes up all the time, We're all old and when we die the cars will too, blah blah blah.

I don't really care what the future holds, I'm riding the wave and having a great time doing it, drive them daily and enjoy every single minute of it.

I can tell you this, driving them daily and seeing peoples reactions everywhere tells me these cars are noticed for sure by everyone. I even have women approach me, and go out of their way to say something about the car. I know it isn't me, I'm old, bald and married We can't go anywhere with these cars without someone saying something, people stop and take pictures with their phones while driving by in parking lots, the attention is just crazy from all kinds of people. It's gotten to the point I just won't leave the car unattended anymore. I can't hide among cookie cutter cars, these classics just stand out. Whether I go to the bank, the store, the gas station, or just sitting at a stop light, there is always someone that has to make a comment about the cars.
Another point to be made, location is also a big factor. We live in what is considered a huge car enthusiast state here in Arizona, and can be said that Arizona probably has one of the largest concentration of classic cars and has been the center of car activity for quite a long time for many reasons. Weather being one of them. Places like Wisconsin for example, not so much.

So will the attraction to these cars die anytime soon??? Not in my life time so I'm not concerned.

Last edited by Formulajones; 01-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
maybe you guys just don’t have cool enough cars
Note to self...... Get cooler chit!!!!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Re youth: appreciating cars does not mean spending 30-50K (or more) like many here have done. 1/4 price, or more, of a home (which many young people can't afford). The hobby has progressed from common cheap used cars and parts to people selling to biggest wallets very hard to find parts and cars. Pontiacs are not the best in this area. One can still build a Chevy engine with less hassle and 75% less cost as always has been true, IMO. This is a hobby that takes established income.

Been casually watching auction results in Muscle Machines and Muscle Car Review, and while not mathematically tracking, I keep seeing Selling Below Average price sales, or no sales at all. The big boy special cars bring big bucks, but still most are down also. So the question is: Is this a valley or a new large curve? Watching 2018 auctions should tell some kind of story.

I personally think these are very bad and shaky from a new investment perspective for a return on, and one should own from a love perspective more than a financial one.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Re youth: appreciating cars does not mean spending 30-50K (or more) like many here have done. 1/4 price, or more, of a home (which many young people can't afford). The hobby has progressed from common cheap used cars and parts to people selling to biggest wallets very hard to find parts and cars. Pontiacs are not the best in this area. One can still build a Chevy engine with less hassle and 75% less cost as always has been true, IMO. This is a hobby that takes established income.
That's pretty much true with anything old and antique. As they age, harder to find, more desirable to some, usually drives up the price. Supply and demand.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Been casually watching auction results in Muscle Machines and Muscle Car Review, and while not mathematically tracking, I keep seeing Selling Below Average price sales, or no sales at all. The big boy special cars bring big bucks, but still most are down also. So the question is: Is this a valley or a new large curve? Watching 2018 auctions should tell some kind of story.

I personally think these are very bad and shaky from a new investment perspective for a return on, and one should own from a love perspective more than a financial one.
Speaking in terms of investment, you have to of been lucky enough to get in the game very early, then hang onto them for the last 30 years if you want to see any real return on your money.

Nowadays, deals are slim, cars that need restored have big asking prices, and restoring them is a very expensive venture as well. Those big dollar cars you see at auction, it's very unlikely the owner is making much of anything on the sale. When you consider it takes 2,000 to 3,000 hours to completely restore a car like that to a concour level, plus the money for very expensive parts, in most cases they have more in the restoration of those 6 figure cars than what they are grabbing at auction. So in that sense, yes the person needs to have a love for the hobby because they certainly aren't making money. Even though it may appear to the average Joe that a car selling for that much, someone must be getting fat pockets. Honestly the auction houses are the only ones making any real money from these transactions.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the popularity of Trans Ams on the big screen.. I think values will continue to gradually rise.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Senior Chief

The restoration shops are making money as well as the auction houses. but I'm of the opinion that we are near the apex and looking at the down hill side. Too many baby boomers will be getting out over the next 10 yrs with not enough interested individuals to replace them.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
The restoration shops are making money as well as the auction houses. but I'm of the opinion that we are near the apex and looking at the down hill side. Too many baby boomers will be getting out over the next 10 yrs with not enough interested individuals to replace them.
I tend to agree. And, for what it's worth, Hagerty does too, as far as 2nd Gens go anyway, see here:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-buy-sell-hold

Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's cold and east coast cyclone bombs about to hit...

Spring can't come soon enough before these end of TA predictions come true.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not selling anyway

Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightblack View Post
I tend to agree. And, for what it's worth, Hagerty does too, as far as 2nd Gens go anyway, see here:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-buy-sell-hold
...but they're also saying to buy the 2004-2006 GTOs. I don't see those ever being valuable. They weren't popular when they were new.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta View Post
...but they're also saying to buy the 2004-2006 GTOs. I don't see those ever being valuable. They weren't popular when they were new.
Neither were '71 Cudas.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Superbirds and daytonas are probably the best example.
Sat new on lots for years, some dealers converted them
to roadrunners/chargers just to sell them. Today there a
bargain at 100k.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I try not to think to much about the value of my cars, house or whatever. None of my past predictions have been correct so now I just don't bother to think about it anymore. I'm in st kitts and I didn't see any ta's for sale. I did see a nice rover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9753.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	471583  

Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta View Post
Wtf??? Those will never be investment material.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiangiver 68 View Post
some dealers converted them
to roadrunners/chargers just to sell them..
Mark me down as skeptical. Here is a mopar thread in this very subject http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/in...?topic=92599.0

Last edited by Norwood; 01-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.