Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Carpet question

What is he correct style of carpet for a 75? Is it the loop-style or the plush cut-pile style? I replaced the one in our Gramma car 25 years ago with some JC Witney sewn-seam universal carpet before anyone started making the molded version.

Thanks!

Here's an original photo from back around 1980 but I can't see enough to tell what the carpet style is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75 steering wheel.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	487160  

Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like Auto Custom Carpet says that it is cut-pile for 74-75. They have half a dozen different colors ranging from light, medium, and dark Doeskin, Buckskin and Saddle. I ordered swatches of several likely candidates at $1 each. They should arrive by next week. Then I'll make my choice. At least I have my 73 with its original saddle interior (with loop carpet, though) to compare the colors swatches to.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'74 had the cut style already so '75 would be the same.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the cut pile samples form ACC and it looks like “Saddle #820” is a close match to the original loop carpet color in my 73. I’ll probably order the Saddle cut pile set with tail piece for the rear hump, next week.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You’ve changed everything else on that car.....Why are you worried so much about the carpet match?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great question! I guess I want something close to what should be in there in terms of color, since what's in the car now is a hyperglycemic yellow, faded, sewn-together JC Whitney special from the late 1980's with no heal protector.

When I got all the carpet samples I was astonished at how wrong in terms of color match they looked. The Saddle #802 isn't even a color listed for '73 or '75, though it was a dead-on match for the original '73 carpet color. They have a "Medium Saddle" listed for '73 and that wasn't even close to what's in my '73. For '75 they had "Buckskin" and "Doeskin" listed as factory colors but they were something like a light tan color. Not complimentary at all.

I figured I might as well make Gramma Rose happy. Back in her day she had an interior decorator on standby for all these kind of critical life-altering decisions. Now that I recall, we still have the giant, oval throw rug she had in the rumpus room back in the late 1960's. It is made up of three-inch tall, psychedelic, rainbow shag material. Something right out of an Austin Powers movie. I should have that made into the carpet set for the car. That would truly make her and my Grandfather proud!