THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy You know what sucks? Worrying about getting shot with your own guns

Came home today to a broken window and my garage wide open. Robbed.

All my guns gone. X box. Credit cards. Check book. Power tools. Modular stuff. None of my firebird stuff. But I guess all the good car stuff is at the engine shop.

I'm insured but it just sticks in the back of my head that they might come back and shoot my now unarmed ass with my own guns to add insult to injury.

My friends and I always joke that crimes always get commited with cheap hi points, and khars. Well now if you get mugged with an ivory gripped 1911 you can blame me lol

Sorry. Venting. Most of my friends are asleep

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry

I feel for you, brother.
Had a couple of my cars disappear over night when I lived at an apartment complex. The first one had a bunch of Snap-On tools and a pair of prescription sunglasses in the trunk, not to mention I just filled the gas tank to the brim the day before.

Hopefully, the perps will get pulled over and caught with your firearms in the trunk, or something similar, before they can distribute them to the common scumbag population.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

I feel for you, Hope thay get caught.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sucks to hear that. Lots of property crime in my area and I worry about it every time I leave my house. I plan to get cameras soon.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah. I'm a government contractor so I'm deployable. Had planned on doing the camera thing before my next over seas trip in a couple of months. Bad timing. They got my guns and my box that had all my important docs in it. Including my firearm serial numbers. A lot of personal info. Im worried about it causing me to get audited if my social pops up multiple times in tax return filings. Im going to call the irs tomorrow too I guess.

I'm going to call the dept of justice tomorrow and see if they can get me the numbers so I can get it to the cops. They said there's a reasonable chance at least the firearms get recovered if I can get the serial numbers. Maybe registration laws will actually do somebody some good.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

damn. That sucks. No alarm in your home either? Gotta have one. And make it internet driven so they can't cut the the phone lines and the call to the local PD will still go out automatically.

Oh and BTW Kahrs are not saturday night specials. Very expensive and precision guns. Hi Points, yes; Kahr's, no

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sorry to hear this. I hope they get caught.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingn View Post
damn. That sucks. No alarm in your home either? Gotta have one. And make it internet driven so they can't cut the the phone lines and the call to the local PD will still go out automatically.

Oh and BTW Kahrs are not saturday night specials. Very expensive and precision guns. Hi Points, yes; Kahr's, no
Yeah I only just bought the house a couple months ago. Nice neighborhood. Didnt really consider myself at risk until the next time I was going oversears. Had planned on doing the camera security system before I left.

Ill avoid starting a brand flag waving argument

Ive only had a couple people over. If I had to point to a prime suspect it would be a disgruntled handyman that I refused to work with when he jacked up the price 3 times his original quote. But even then thats a long shot. I think it was just someone who noticed that I was gone 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let the cops know of the handyman..........you'd be surprised of the types that would do this. Especially if he knew of your out of town schedule.

Good luck on the recovery. No gun safe?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't make yourself crazy trying to figure it out...it's most likely not something you did or someone you ticked off. Burglaries are typically crimes of opportunity, and it was just your unlucky day.

As you mentioned, talk to the IRS. They can give you a PIN number to prevent others from trying to file under your name. Since they got your personal information, make sure to change any passwords for credit cards, bank accounts, etc. and get a credit monitoring service going.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the horse is out of the barn,might invest in a real safe,one that can't be just picked up and removed.I have a 24 gun safe,fireproof and keep all firearms and valubles.Tom

Old 03-01-2016, 02:21 PM

Default lock down

sorry to here about break in. lock down at fort drum. missing equipment. good luck bob.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been there. Twice.

The first time I was pretty young and they got a couple of cheap pieces of electronics and a 22 pistol. Never caught them.
The second time was about 5 years ago and they came out a bit better initially...after they kicked the back door, frame and all, into the kitchen. Big TV. Cash. 75lb conatiner of change and some of my wife's gold jewelry. At that point my neighbor spooked them and they missed my guns etc and took off. They actually left me a 6 shot 38! In their haste to leave they left the gun on my bed and it actually tied them to a burglary a couple of cities over. That burglary was solved, the perps were arrested and they confessed to mine.
We had good insurance and came out OK, but what a pain in the butt. I've received about $1000 in restitution since from the ring leader.

In asking the lead perp how my house was chosen he said that I kept the house neat and that usually means good stuff inside. In other words, he's been at it a long time.

Good luck!

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I know the horse is out of the barn,might invest in a real safe,one that can't be just picked up and removed.I have a 24 gun safe,fireproof and keep all firearms and valubles.Tom
THIS ^^^^^

Old 03-01-2016, 03:25 PM

One of the first things I did when I moved into my house was made sure I had a safe. One that would take some real time and thought to remove. It didn't matter if I was was going to be in that home forever or just 6 months. Besides my guns (they since been lost in a boating accident) it's a great place to put items that can't be replaced.
I still have friends who keep their guns in a sock drawer or closet. It's fine to leave one or two accessible for home defense, but the majority should be locked up.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I know I need a safe. But you know how it is, we all have lots of things we should buy and need to make sacrifices. I bought a set of E Heads instead lol. That's high on the list now. Along with a wifi camera setup I guess.

I went and asked about buying a shotgun today in the interim. 11 days wait for long guns......wow.

I really think it was just random. Someone who just noticed I was gone 12 hours a day. Where I really kick myself is I have a big electric gate that I rarely use because the remote is finiky and I don't like waiting for it to open......if that was closed it probably wouldn't have happened

My biggest headache right now is I can't get a hold of anything but automated messages at the bureau of firearms. I need someone to give me the serial numbers off my application.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am really sorry you have to go though this. Get ahold of the threes credit bureaus and have them put a 6 month hold on your credit. That way you don't have as much to worry about as far as somebody opening credit in your name. I can't believe there is such a long wait for long gun purchase. Ask your local police dept if there is any kind of waiver due to home protections needs after a crime. Some states allow it to be waived just for situations such as yours. As another idea see if a friend or relative will let you borrow a gun. If you were closer to me I would be glad to loan one out but I am in VA. I understand completely about how life keeps you from doing things sometimes. I have wanted a better alarm system for years but kept putting it off until this year. It's easy to do. Just keep an eye out at local pawn stores and watch out on online gun sites like Gunbroker.com for your guns. They might be dumb enough to try and sell them that way. Best of luck recovering from this and if you are the kind of contractor I think you are, thanks for what you do.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't your local police help to get you a number so you can talk to a human.I know they have to have one.Tom

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Can't your local police help to get you a number so you can talk to a human.I know they have to have one.Tom
You would think? But they were at my house for like 2 hours yesterday while I described what I had, showed them pictures, and told them about how I had recently sent in for registration. They just told me to give them the numbers when I could get them. If they could get the info themselves with way less of a headache they certainly didn't surrender that info.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hind sight is always 20/20 my dad used to say. But going forward take a video camera and go through your house recording all of your stuff and spend extra time to tape the model and or serial number of any high value items. Comment on values if you have them and this will protect you with the insurance company. I take still photos of all firearms where the serial number is and then put that along with pictures of important documents like drivers license, ssn, concealed carry permit, marriage and birth certificates and then put all of that on an encrypted flash drive that I put in a safe place like a safety deposit box or at a family members friend. Good luck on getting through all of this with as little headache as possible.