Old 05-09-2024, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

studied the 8 GTO’s and LeMans’ that have original trunklids and moldings. Here is the evident pattern…
1… the first center molding version has a uniform inner flange width and the center tab is quite a bit far from center. It was used from start of production until about the end of December 68.
2…the second version of the molding has a narrower inner flange width on the passenger side and the center tab was much closer to the center of the molding. It was used from about the start of January 69.

This combined with the early and late trunklids means there were three different combinations. The 2nd version trunklid came out sometime in November 68. So the early trunklids could use either molding but the 2nd (judge ready) trunklid only used the 2nd version molding. By the way, all this means that all judges would use the 2nd version molding.

Last point, some plants seem to have built GTO’s (and LeMans’) without any trunk moldings very late in the 69 model year. I’ve definitely seen home plant GTO’s built without those moldings and I’ve seen Fremont and Arlington cars with the moldings right up to the last week of production. I haven’t seen enough late production goats from Baltimore, Atlanta or Framingham to know if they built moldingless cars.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)