Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Reel Out Trunk Light with Toggle Switch Trouble

I have what has got to be a simple problem, but I cannot see the answer.

I've gone to Ron Francis bright bulbs where I could, including the trunk light. I noticed that the wire going into the mercury switch was getting hot and a little intermittent so I decided to go with a simple toggle switch, which I always wanted to do anyway. Mostly so I could leave my trunk open at car shows and shut the trunk light off.

I tried wiring up both a two position and then a three position toggle switch (on off on) (as below in the pic) and I can't get either to work. The short little piece of wiring on the left goes to the 12v connector near the light and I have voltage to that point, but nothing beyond. The one going straight up out of the pic goes to ground.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with an ohm meter, but I believe you should have power going to the middle screw which should be the common terminal. With an ohm meter check middle screw to en end screw, and operate the switch, you should get continuity and then lose it. Then check middle with other end screw and same thing. you should never have continuity between the two end screws IF the center one is the common one.

If the center one is not the common one, just keep checking which screw has continuity with the other two screws at different times. I believe the way it used to work was just power going to and out of the mercury switch, and light housing provided ground. Light only has one wire correct? If that is the case, the switch should not have any wires going to ground.

Why do you want an on-off-on switch instead of an on or off switch?

If I am correct about the center being common, the way you have it wired, when you flip the switch, you are inducing a direct short with the center going to ground, and probably blew the fuse now. Can we see a picture of the back of the switch.

Last edited by Pepi; 08-27-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A simple two terminal switch inline in the power circuit is all you need. Make sure the light is on the correct angle when testing it due to the mercury switch.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Check with an ohm meter, but I believe you should have power going to the middle screw which should be the common terminal. With an ohm meter check middle screw to en end screw, and operate the switch, you should get continuity and then lose it. Then check middle with other end screw and same thing. you should never have continuity between the two end screws IF the center one is the common one.

If the center one is not the common one, just keep checking which screw has continuity with the other two screws at different times. I believe the way it used to work was just power going to and out of the mercury switch, and light housing provided ground. Light only has one wire correct? If that is the case, the switch should not have any wires going to ground.

Why do you want an on-off-on switch instead of an on or off switch?

If I am correct about the center being common, the way you have it wired, when you flip the switch, you are inducing a direct short with the center going to ground, and probably blew the fuse now. Can we see a picture of the back of the switch.
I didn't really want an on / off / on switch. I was getting to the point that I was trying everything. I also tried it without a wire going to ground because the housing should provide the ground. Light itself has only one wire. I still have 12.8 volts at the hot lead and haven't blown a fuse strangely enough.

I'll get some coffee in me and try again. I'm too dangerous without.

Thanks

Last edited by 61 389-348; 08-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
A simple two terminal switch inline in the power circuit is all you need. Make sure the light is on the correct angle when testing it due to the mercury switch.
I have one of those too and that's what I tried first. Should have worked. Mercury switch is gone now. Wire was nearly broken going into the switch, which is what got all of this started.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok now I understand. The wire going out to the light has a center hot wire surrounded by a ground. I cut that wire off at the bracket without thinking about the ground. I just destroyed it and now get to get a new light.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

You should be able to grab the ground out of the cable. Don't toss it yet. We have the technology

Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's what I'm going to try a little bit later today. Ain't gonna work if I can't do that.