Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
It's a private contractor in Texas that used to work for Classic Auto Air doing similar restorations for them. I've never used him, but have talked with others that have and they were very positive. Once the work is done and delivered I will be glad to share a report and feedback.
Thanks Bob! By the way I'm sending you pics in the thread about the boot retainer and screws that I took from my 72 455HO Ram Air Formula. The screws and clips appear to be black phosphate ( I too had 5 screws with the raised dome in the head and one screw out of the 6 with some kind of marking like you are showing above, I thought it was a running out of the correct screw thing on the line). The retainers seem to have a black gloss finish. Mine is a two owner car that has 56k miles on it which sat in a garage prior to me purchasing it. I don't believe the rings, screws, clips, or boots had ever been removed. Hope this helps.
CB

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent work Bob and Dave! I'm going to make sure not to park next to your Formy at both the TA Nat's and MCACN! It will be BoS and I am looking forward to judging it.

Dennis

Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, working on a bunch of small parts for the car. Got a lot of fasteners and odds and ends phosphate/parkerized over the weekend. The emergency brake assembly is finished, the go pedal is finished, and the brake and clutch pedal assembly is about halfway there. It's interesting that the brake and clutch pedal arms both had green inspection paint marks at the top. I also received an NOS front quarter Firebird emblem I was lucky enough to find. I have attached a picture below of it beside a repop. They are very close, but the NOS is a deeper red, and the underlying silver is much more polished. If anyone has another that they would sell, let me know. I also got a great set of NOS exterior door handles that I snagged for a great price - less than $200. No pictures, but they are absolutely mint.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So Bob, how close was Norwood?
http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....8&#post4603068

Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Too funny and ironic, however, I think Norwood will be proven to be a little optimistic.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks absolutely fantastic! What type of Paint did you use on the emergency brake assembly, clutch pedal assembly, and the brake/clutch pedal arms? Did you use a wrinkle finish paint for the black on the pedal arms? Wish I could get my parts to look half as nice as yours. Thanks for the pics, I love seeing them, but hate comparing them to my finished products. Just makes me want to cry LOL

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chuck. The black paint on all items is just a generic Rustoleum gloss black. It looks textured on the clutch and brake arms because the arms themselves are highly textured. You can see that in the photo showing the green paint blotch prior to blasting. The metal on the ebrake is just bare metal with satin clear. After the assembly was bead blasted I rubbed it down with WD-40 and green scotch brite, followed by a good degreasing. I shot it with clear and then taped it off and did the black. The ends of the brake and clutch arms were wire wheeled and cleared coated after bead blasting.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little got done today. Mainly did a lot of spring cleaning and throwing stuff out. The garage was starting to get cluttered and "flat spots" were getting to be in short supply. The pedal assemblies are now all done with the clutch/brake unit assembled and boxed up with the emergency brake and accelerator pedal. It looks really good. Also, the upholstery guy came by this morning and has hauled all the seats off to strip them down. I've ordered new Legendary seat skins. Once he has them stripped and broken down he's going to bring the parts back so they can all be cleaned up and refurbished.

Also got a few things done on the Red Car. I changed out the original spiral shocks I installed for MCACN, and fixed a fuel leak. As soon as this is done I'm taking it for a cruise. Lastly, the Gold Car is now on the rack and disassembly has started for a clutch change. I stuck a very heavy clutch in it we installed the stroker and I have hated it from day one. Tomorrow it goes in the scrap pile....

Old 03-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you add some grease to those pedal bushings? They will make all sorts of annoying noises without it. Nice work by the way. Garage is way too clean, though. ;-)

Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, from the trailer to the show. Haha

I don't think this is Bobs first rodeo.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where's the yellow car?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that what he meant by spring cleaning????

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The yellow car is safe and sound in the upper garage, but I have to admit I am thinking about sending it on it's way. I would like to buy a new convertible that has an automatic transmission for Mini Me to tool around in during her last couple years at home, and frankly I miss the Lemans Sport vert. I'm out of space and the lure of some "strange" is pretty strong. NjSteve - the pedal assembly got a light coat of grease, but Judge269 pretty much nailed it - I doubt this car gets a lot of road time for a while.

Progress continues on the small stuff. It won't be long before it's time to travel to Supercar to pick up a few more parts to get ready. It's going to be pretty cool when Darrell gets the paint and body done because at that point it will be mostly an assembly project. The wiper/washer assembly is now done and ready, as is the fuel vapor separator. The vapor separator was in such good shape (and is so hidden) that I mainly tried to just preserve it's originality since it's hard to duplicate that old galvanized finish. Also, MPD had Joey the welder make up some wheel assemblies for the subframe and they are killer. They get it much more level and make it much easier to maneuver around the garage. Lastly, the tranny is out of the Gold Car and the old clutch is headed for the scrap pile. Here's a few pic's....

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 AM

OK. So, this thread alone tells me that it was a good decision to re-connect to the forum..... god ... it's really amazing.
What a nice work. And this last post in particular left me..... aaaaaaahhh......

Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Darrell and the guys at Supercar Creations are really starting to rock and roll on the Black Car. They have had a lot of extra work straightening out the sheet metal work by Graverobbers that didn't meet reasonable standards. My hats off to them for their dedication and thoroughness. I am really getting excited.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well those 2 jars outta help Derrell get that car straight.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know that excited feeling Bob! Your car is going to be so amazing!

BJ

Old 03-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Block sanding, The unsung hero's work of art under the wax ! A car looks only as good as its Sanded, before and after paint!!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Billy and I are getting pretty thirsty! And quit giving away my restoration secrets, LOL.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wash that bondo dust right down