THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: Red Air Cleaner Decal
I have one, I know it's not original, but I like it on my car 5 4.76%
I thought they were original so I bought one and installed it 1 0.95%
I hate them! They are for Buicks and should be peeled off whenever spotted 41 39.05%
It came on the car and I left it on there 5 4.76%
It's your car, do whatever you want 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry's car is modified! Pontiac color keyed ralleys as well! Do you have a point besides proving you can't follow the topic? Remember. Buick air cleaner decal?

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Show of hands... Everyone that installed a Buick air cleaner decal back in the day... Anyone? Anyone? Ok, I guess that point doesn't work either.

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!

Last edited by PaulatFast; 05-20-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

My 14 year old nephew asked about putting one of those stickers on the air cleaner after he gets the 350 rebuilt in the 72 Lux LeMans. My answer? It's your car now, do what you want and can afford.
I had a hell of a time to convince him that he should keep a Pontiac in it. Truth be told, I didn't know those stickers were not original until 4 years ago and I didn't learn that from this website either. Threads just like this one and the first cruise thread are the reason I haven't shown this site to my nephew yet. The elitist/purist attitude displayed would run him off quicker than a Ford breaking down and have him get rid of the LeMans and buy a Malibu or worse yet have him beg me again to put one of my spare Chevy Engines in the LeMans.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If its his car now, let him do what he wants... You are right. Put the CHEVY in it.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb Whoomp there it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Some of the children here should be put out of their misery.

Or deported to Singapore and repeatedly caned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Hey, dumb ass-read your tagline lately?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT

Wouldn't patronizing your business require Pontiacers to install "NON-CORRECT" aftermarket stuff? EEEEEEK! NON-CORRECT!

Frickin' moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon
I'm not the type of anal-retentive, authoritarian a-hole that obsesses over whether something is "original" or not, and feels free to make unsolicited rude remarks about other people...

Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
My 14 year old nephew asked about putting one of those stickers on the air cleaner after he gets the 350 rebuilt in the 72 Lux LeMans. My answer? It's your car now, do what you want and can afford.
I had a hell of a time to convince him that he should keep a Pontiac in it. Truth be told, I didn't know those stickers were not original until 4 years ago and I didn't learn that from this website either. Threads just like this one and the first cruise thread are the reason I haven't shown this site to my nephew yet. The elitist/purist attitude displayed would run him off quicker than a Ford breaking down and have him get rid of the LeMans and buy a Malibu or worse yet have him beg me again to put one of my spare Chevy Engines in the LeMans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
If its his car now, let him do what he wants... You are right. Put the CHEVY in it.
Yep, that right up there will get the younger guys like my nephew to stay interested in Pontiacs.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just pointing out the irony that is running rampant in this thread.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 400 had a "326 * 4" sticker on it when I bought the car. I'm keeping it because it reminds me of my drag racing days in high school. "Of course it's only a 326 - see the sticker? Let's go for $50."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	364120  

Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Senior Chief

Apparently I'm not good at catching irony after 15 hours of work...
To the ones that hate these stickers....Never ever go to any of the car shows held in Ocean City Maryland. That was my first exposure to the stickers and the majority of the Pontiacs with open hoods had them applied.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Senior Chief

While I totally agree that this conversation has gotten WAY out of hand, I can completely see why. Just go back and read some of the remarks. There is clear line here but what some of the purists aren't quite seeing is that they are portraying an elitist/ superior mentality.

To quote one member "when I see those red stickers it tells me that person knows nothing about Pontiacs". And that's not snobby or elitist? I don't consider myself to be a sensitive person at all but that sure sounds snobby to me. Almost as if it's my way or you're stupid.

Frankly, I also find it kind or odd that all these performance mods are totally OK but a sticker is not? One member said there's a difference between modified and correct.....huh? The minute you remove a cast iron intake and slap on an Edelbrock Performer and a Holley carb, you are BOTH modified and incorrect. You are really splitting hairs and again sounding kind of arrogant as you do it.

I don't know EVERYTHING about Pontiacs but after owning and driving 5 different classic Pontiacs, I know some things. I am well aware of the fact that the red engine call out stickers were not factory installed. I put one on because I like it. I also wanted to bring attention to the fact that my car was a little different. There simply aren't a lot of first gen Birds with 428's. The funny thing is that several people at the cruise night saw the 428 sticker and specifically asked about a 428 in my car. This led to several good conversations about my car and performance cars in general. Not sure how that's such a terrible thing.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Modified is changing something on purpose that usually constitutes an upgrade in appearance or performance.

Incorrect is something that is simply done wrong.

If your bird has a 428 and you want to advertise the fact, great! Put the sticker on! Doesn't bother me one bit! That's a modification.

On the other hand, the bone stock 70 Judge for sale on this site last fall that had the Buick style sticker was simply incorrect. The owner stated the car was 100% correct. I asked if there further mods besides the sticker and it turned out the owner had no idea the sticker was wrong.

If seeing a huge difference between "modified" and "incorrect" makes me arrogant, elitist and a purist, so be it.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
To the ones that hate these stickers....Never ever go to any of the car shows held in Ocean City Maryland. That was my first exposure to the stickers and the majority of the Pontiacs with open hoods had them applied.
To be honest, I didn't realize the decals weren't original, until I read this thread. I think I'll be keeping mine, though.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I won't take the poll, because I think it's stupid.

What I will comment on is, if I do see your hood up and something isn't right, I will comment to the person I'm with (most of the time I'll be talking to myself and shake my head). Case in point, went to the local car scene near me last Saturday. GTO, with the 455 HO decal and a RG air cleaner decal (incorrect usage and placed in the wrong area between the snorkels). Maybe he overheard me telling my daughter and wife what was wrong or maybe not. I didn't care as he was the one advertising. His problem, not mine.
I think there is a special 2 syllable, 7 letter word for those that have a need to critically comment on others rides at local shows.

Unless it's specifically in a 100% correct concours class, AND YOU ARE ONE OF THE JUDGES, comments are best kept to yourself. IMO, of course.

The sticker is no different than adding or changing to any of the multitudes of aftermarket parts available for our vehicles.

That's the beauty of the whole idea of a "muscle car" to me: to make it my own.

If fretting and obsessing over the correct shade of overspray on a firewall is your thing, go buy and show a Vette.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I rolled mine out of the paint shop after a 6 year resto mod that I handled mostly myself in my garage. Proudly snapped a few pictures and posted em up for the "guys" here to see.
One of the first comments. " when ya going to get that Buick sticker off" really? As if the fuel injection, aluminum heads and lime green paint weren't enough of a clue that I wasn't looking for original!
The real problem in my eyes are the people that go out of their way to point out that they know more than you do about cars. If I say it's a 100 point resto, and your the judge fire away, otherwise shut up or move on! Don't care if you know more about cars than me or not!
And by the way. They are not Buick stickers or they would have the Buick logo, they are a knock off of a Buick sticker designed to put on a pontiac. I can't believe you experts try to pass them off as Buick stickers thinking you know everything! Bad, bad, bad! Fire up your big block and go to your room!
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man !!! ...and I thought the bickering in Race Section was petty sometimes.
I could care less what a guy puts on his air cleaner if it not claimed to be a Concourse resto . Do what ya want to your car. I do. I may razz a guy but not "get on his case"..
Important numbers to me are the block & head numbers..
I get amused when people ask me if my motor (in 60) is a 421..they just don't know..they are not stupid.
Be nice ..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM

I think the sticker is a matter of personal preference. Just my 2¢

Here's my 67 Firebird. 66 intake on 69 YS block with 670 heads.

How many things are incorrect or modified?
Answer: I don't care.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Chief

This is really effin ridiculous. Its like watching my kids fight. YOUR'E ALL GROUNDED. NO DRIVING YOUR PONTIACS FOR A WEEK. ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
If seeing a huge difference between "modified" and "incorrect" makes me arrogant, elitist and a purist, so be it.
Word.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_Krewzer View Post
I think the sticker is a matter of personal preference. Just my 2¢

Here's my 67 Firebird. 66 intake on 69 YS block with 670 heads.

How many things are incorrect or modified?
Answer: I don't care.
What happened to the air cleaner decal?..
Looks good. I'm fond of multi-carbs..more the merrier.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Closed Thread