Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sooo Dude's not gonna post in the for sale forums anymore.

Well now maybe I'll be able to keep my one or two items for sale on the first page for more than 5 minutes without being pushed off by his twenty ads of stuff he has been trying to sell for the last ten months,ads that he bumps up every three or four days like clockwork at times...

In the past I've had to wait till he bumps his stuff just so I know my ad wont get pushed off the front page by his "multiple ad bumps" five minutes after I post mine.

Ask me your a "for sale" forum hog Dude...

I wont miss your ads Dude,not even one little bit,sorry to say,the truth may sting,but I call 'em like I see 'em,that's just my nature.

Now if the one or two other offenders of that nature would decide to leave,others could finally get an ad or two posted that is on the front page long enough to actually get read once in a while.

Nobody twisting anybodies arm to sell here,house rules are house rules,accept them or move on.

I did'nt much care for the new "rules" at first either,but now I actually prefer them,go figure...

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm on the fence with this one. As a buyer I like seeing asking prices, but as a seller, sometimes you just have to see what it will fetch...

I've got a fender (64 Impala) with a small golf ball sized rust hole at the bottom of the fender brace. Other than a small dent and a dime-sized ding it's straight and clean, not an ounce of filler anywhere. Shouldn't be hard to sell, right? Locally nobody wants it, and Craiglist seems to be full of cheapskates. I could toss it on eBay, but then you've got folks requesting quotes for shipping via UPS, freight, bus, pack mule and so on. Hell, if they want it crated and shipped overnight it'll cost more than the sheetmetal alone!

Personally, I'd let it go cheap - provided it isn't a lowball offer. An item offered here, IMO, is far more trustworthy than someone you've never dealt with on eBay and usually a lot cheaper too! I've thought about tossing it into the Garage Sale section, but I honestly don't know what it's worth. Everytime I see a WIW thread in The Lobby I alway think "put it on eBay and you'll find out..."

Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found that when Dude would bump his multitude of parts, in fact, he was bumping my ads to those who come here and click on "New Posts", because they would see the classifieds bumped to the top. I've never had any problems selling parts here because of some else's posting habits.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 03-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like seeing prices listed for parts.I usually dont respond to ads for sale items without prices.IMO if no price is listed then I assume the seller wants more than he knows the part is worth and he's too embarassed to list it.Or he's hoping someone who wants the part will offer way more than its worth.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65
I like seeing prices listed for parts.I usually dont respond to ads for sale items without prices.IMO if no price is listed then I assume the seller wants more than he knows the part is worth and he's too embarassed to list it.Or he's hoping someone who wants the part will offer way more than its worth.
+1

If I really, really need the item I will pm
but " best offer" is infinite - if on a Monday ad I offer $100 for a used Torker - at what point does the seller consider they have gotten the "best offer"? Friday?
I ask that when I make my offer - but now it has become a game - I don't have time for games.
If seller tells me on Friday at noon "you are best offer - send money" what to do at 1 p.m. when another guy offers $120?
I get the pm "sorry - another guy just offered me more - if you match it you can have it"

Sell that crap on ebay.
List an asking price.
If you ask a certain price and it sells in 2 minutes - are you happy? Or thinking you sold too cheap?
If so - then research the value before you sell your unknown items.
Duh.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Suspended

This whole thread is retarded and should be sent to the clubhouse.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
I'll buy things I don't need if the price is right.

99 times out of 100, if there is no price on something I just keep moving. This goes for every board I'm on.

I have to agree . Want to sell it put a price on it.
That goes double for cars for sale, at car shows and the like and no price, alway's gets me in trouble.
Sorry Dude I know you've been here since PY's first board and have enjoyed all the information you so unselfishly have given to so many of us..

I guess.......(Red Green)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Suspended

I've had very good experiences selling and buying on this board. There is a very good class of people here.

I enjoy the way this board has changed as far as stating the rules clearly and then enforcing them.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to STALLION

Dude, I have to agree with you but the members who disagree with you do make some GOOD points. Last week I had the same problem for not putting the price on some items I had for sale. I did not know what a FAIR price to sell was, so I HAD to put a price. (Or best offer,OBO) doesn't necessarily mean AUCTION, it means give me a price YOU think is fair and then lets talk, it gets the ball rolling. Trades are sometimes a good selling feature. I did not sell anything yet but I am working on it and I am getting close to selling I think. My rule of thumb is that if I need the part and it has no price I will (get this guys & gals) ASK what are you looking for. Most of the time a price will come out from the seller, if I like the price I say yes if I don't I say NO. NO BIG DEAL! I find it hard to believe for ME, that if someone is looking/needs a part and there is no price on it they will walk away and not just ASK for a price. There is a Mediator here that after you give him a price and then lower the price just to try to give them a better deal they don't even have the common courtesy to PM you back and say YES or NO and they want to set the rules! Come on what is the big deal, if you don't want to buy a part because it doesn't have a price on it be stubborn, don't ASK, don,t buy. I do not think anyone here is right or wrong, I do believe the PRICE is set by how much someone WANTS it or is WILLING to pay for it. Thanks Maurice. Just my 1/2 cents worth. PS. This is just my OPINION not here to offend anyone!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dearly hope that you never have to put a price on parts wanted section... that would bumm me out;

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=506549

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

while we are on the F/S forum topic, how about when you buy an item from a member, PM them to let them know that you got it, and that it arrived in good condition. most members do this in my experience, but some do not! by not letting them know you got your item, it makes it alot harder to "track it down" if it's lost in transit. when weeks go by and you don't here anything. i always try to have good comuncation on my dealing with members.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the easy method for determining prices.
I place the add with the price I want to get. If I get no interest in it, and three days go by, I bump it up. It still nothing, then after 3 more days, I drop the price and bump it up.
If it still doesn't sell, I wait a month and revive the add. It has worked for me.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny
I dearly hope that you never have to put a price on parts wanted section... that would bumm me out;

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=506549
Putting a price on WANTED items makes absolutely no sense at all. Not even sure why someone suggested that :pound:

Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think PDude needs a time out for a month or two as punishment!

Let him hang out with mongo!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 04-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I think it would be fine for someone to post that an item is for sale and for potential buyers to send a PM or email. I dont think a price should have to be posted.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
I'll buy things I don't need if the price is right.

99 times out of 100, if there is no price on something I just keep moving. This goes for every board I'm on.
Agree with this 100%. And that goes for swap meets too. My philosophy is - If it's too much trouble to put a price on something, then it's too much trouble for me to ask.

There are other forums and venues for ascertaining the value of a part. Requiring prices on items for sale cuts down on the game-players.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

You dont want to list a price because you are not sure what something is worth. I sometimes dont want to make an offer because I also dont know what it is worth. You dont want to accept too little and I dont want to pay too much. I also dont want to insult someone with an offer that may unintentionaly be a lowball. I also believe make me an offer is often interpreted as "Im greedy and want all I can possibly get". That is a general statement not directed at you personally, Ken.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix
You dont want to list a price because you are not sure what something is worth. I sometimes dont want to make an offer because I also dont know what it is worth. You dont want to accept too little and I dont want to pay too much. I also dont want to insult someone with an offer that may unintentionaly be a lowball. I also believe make me an offer is often interpreted as "Im greedy and want all I can possibly get". That is a general statement not directed at you personally, Ken.

???? I don't understand. I thought the idea was to get a decent price. Same goes with a price and people affraid to offer a lot lower because they feel it's way to much to begin with. Or it's already priced. If I didn't want anything for them I would just junk the stuff. Which I have on about half the Pontiac stuff I had. Junked out 100 400 cranks. Made a good bit of money as steel and cast iron is up. That and 20 sets of small valve heads that went to the scrap yard. I have sold tons of stuff at flea markets with Make me an offer. Latest deal was a SBC sfi balancer for $25.00 used. $20 headers,etc.

I build stuff either new or other people supply parts so I don't know. Or I buy cores and only use what I can and wanted to unload stuff i will never use.

Oh well not my loss if people don't want to take the time to type a response or make offer. Your loss not mine. Somebody on another board will MAKE an OFFER, LOL.

Have a nice day and will post my crap on other boards for sale. No big deal. When PY wakes up and allows 'Make offer with a PM or E-mail thrown' in I'll be back. ;)

I'm selling it so why shouldn't I be the one to determine what I want to do with it?????????

Back to work. :)

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Suspended

lOT'S OF E-WHINING HERE.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Pointless discussion - not reading any of it - maybe because I like the status quo.

Now this thread delivers something entertaining.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE