THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOAT View Post
G'Day Guys,
So, I will be in Detroit for a week from Monday 6th June for work (Ford). I will have the following Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday free to do whatever.
Any suggestions? Was thinking of driving (will have a rental) to Niagara Falls for the day. Is this doable? I can see its about 250 miles away.
Thought about visiting the Ford Museum, is there a Pontiac Museum?
Any drag racing on that weekend?
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Tony.
Tony,
Hello from another Ford guy with Pontiacs. I live in Michigan, but ironically enough I was just in Melbourne earlier this week... lots of great cars on the road around town!

Seems you've already gotten some good advice on spots to hit while in town. Enjoy your visit!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-15-2016, 05:03 AM

Will do. This is my first time visiting the States. It's more work than play but still hope to get out and see a bit of your Country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike View Post
We expect a travel report when you get back OP!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:08 AM

G'Day Keith,
When you say Ford guy do you mean work for Ford and was your visit to Melbourne work related?
We hosted a few Ford guys a couple of weeks ago and showed them around a bit. I think they were impressed. They even went to one of our AFL (Aust Rules Football) game on their last night before flying home. Will catch up with them to see what they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Tony,
Hello from another Ford guy with Pontiacs. I live in Michigan, but ironically enough I was just in Melbourne earlier this week... lots of great cars on the road around town!

Seems you've already gotten some good advice on spots to hit while in town. Enjoy your visit!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:56 AM

Default The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village

As a native son (13 Mile), you must do The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. Each take a day. Not sure what your work is, but if it doesn't overlap, you should check if the Ford Rouge truck plant tours are running.

Depending on total time, the Detroit Institute of Arts is one of the best art museums not on a coast.

And someone else mentioned Lafayette or some other restaurant, that's for a coney dog- hot dog smothered in chili and cheese.

Not sure what time museum and village close, but I think it's kinda early so:
If you are into beer- Michigan has the been rated the 5th best beer state, and Detroit area has many many options for craft beer - Atwater, Kuhnhenn's, Dragonmeade, Falling Down are some of my favorites, but those are more east side.
My experience isn't so clear on west side, but depending on where you stay- Royal Oak has a lot going on for food and beer, you can walk between a few brewpubs, or Uber. Roak, Griffen Claw, and at least thee more.

If the Tigers are in town- baseball, great place to see a game.

If your visa is in order, you can take the tunnel to Windsor, experience Tim Horton's donuts, and then from Riverside Park, get on of the best views of downtown Detroit.

As much as Detroit has decayed, there's still much to do in the city and suburbs.
When I visit the 'rents, I have to balance going out vs. spending time with them (they ain't young.)

Have fun and report back.

Ken

Old 05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another vote for the Rouge plant tour!

Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313

There's Belle Isle, with the botanical Gardens, the aquarium, and the Great Lake Museum. The Henry Ford is a must-do. I would suggest that some of the forum members would be up to meet so you can see some Pontiac's, make some friends and have a burger and a beer. How about it fellas?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
G'Day Keith,
When you say Ford guy do you mean work for Ford and was your visit to Melbourne work related?
Yes and yes

Quote:
G'Day Keith,
We hosted a few Ford guys a couple of weeks ago and showed them around a bit. I think they were impressed. They even went to one of our AFL (Aust Rules Football) game on their last night before flying home. Will catch up with them to see what they think.
... did not catch an AFL game, but on the one partial day we had free we drove down the Great Ocean Road to the 12 Apostles. Nice drive (except for the bit about being on the wrong side of the car and of the road... ) and great scenery-

Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM

Indyman Joe put me onto a Car show in Davisburg that should have Pontys on the Saturday. Planning to go to that.
If you see / hear an Aussie accent it will be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJones1313 View Post
There's Belle Isle, with the botanical Gardens, the aquarium, and the Great Lake Museum. The Henry Ford is a must-do. I would suggest that some of the forum members would be up to meet so you can see some Pontiac's, make some friends and have a burger and a beer. How about it fellas?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 PM

Wink

What do mean "wrong" side of the road????
Did you notice that they had signs on the GOR telling people that we drive on the LHS.
We also took our guests on that drive and stopped for some Fish n Chips for lunch. It's mandatory that any visitors to Melb has to drive along that coastal road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Yes and yes

... did not catch an AFL game, but on the one partial day we had free we drove down the Great Ocean Road to the 12 Apostles. Nice drive (except for the bit about being on the wrong side of the car and of the road... ) and great scenery-

Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What do mean "wrong" side of the road????
Did you notice that they had signs on the GOR telling people that we drive on the LHS.
Yep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DriveOnLeft.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	428736