Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

April's fools!!!

BTW, it has not gone unnoticed who does all the dirty work/heavy lifting there & who holds the camera!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You a funny man.

So how are you gonna color sand out the gravel guard on the lower 6 inches of the car?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
You a funny man.

So how are you gonna color sand out the gravel guard on the lower 6 inches of the car?
There has to one guy in every crowd.....

The top is going to be so shiny, that by the time you look down where the "less shiny" paint is you will be temporarily blinded. Actually, the gravel guard doesn't bother me that much, especially when I am driving it. Yeah, that's the ticket....

It is looking so bit_hin.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
April's fools!!!

BTW, it has not gone unnoticed who does all the dirty work/heavy lifting there & who holds the camera!
That hurts. You're buying lunch next time.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait to see this car....not sure if I will shake my head or be amazed.............GRAVEL-GAURD....oh my

Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow...It looks good. I am happy. So I have gradually gotten more comfortable using the buffer and working on the Black Car's paint. Even so, wet sanding the front fenders and front end was a bit scary. I was worried about the thickness of the paint especially. However, all's well that ends well, and this ended well. Almost all the imperfections have been removed, including the acid rain spots. The difference is quite frankly unbelievable.

I sanded everything with 2000 grit, 3000 grit and 5000 grit. After that I polished with all 3m products - rubbing compound, scratch remover and shine restorer. Following that I applied Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant. I still need to do the roof, and now that I have gotten comfortable with the wet sanding I will go back and redo a few areas that I have already done, namely the trunk lid. Here's some pictures. I'll post most of them as before, during and after shots of the same panels.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! That looks amazing - great work!!

BJ

Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, My back is killing me just thinking about how hard your working. This hobby brings it out if us that's for sure.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Impressive work!

I'll gladly buy lunch!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Very cool!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Wolfgang paint sealant I used is buildable and can be multi coated for a deeper gloss and shine. It takes 12 to 14 hours to cure, after which another coat can be applied. I recoated this morning and it looks even better. Not only is the paint 29 years old, but it is single stage. Now it looks like it has a high gloss clear coat. This was a lot of work, but most things worth having are.

The instrument panel got put back together and reinstalled as well. All the bulbs were replaced, the gauges cleaned, the speedo cable cleaned and lubed, heater controls cleaned, and the gauge lenses polished. It looks like new.

Now all I need is a radio, I am stuck until then. I never thought I could get the headliner and everything else finished and be waiting on the radio, but that's where I am. Here's some more pictures. The car looks even better after curing and with natural light. I can't wait to get it outside and on the road....

Old 05-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very VERY nice!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks incredible Bob! I think it's safe to say you don't need new paint anymore!

Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

black cars,freshly painted and/or buffed out look so damn good. boy Bob.. you have put some hours in on this car, really shows !! I'm envious.. I'm a good 200 hrs of work behind you on my 71.. can't wait to get some paint on mine..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So after a few days fishing with customers on the St Johns river I have arrived back at the Hot Rod Garage to see what the UPS guy delivered. It's pretty exciting that i have received the jack shafts and MC caps that were sent out for cad plating. They look great and I cannot wait to get the spare set up all back together. The fishing was great also with bass as follows: 3 x 7.5lbs, 1 x 6.5, 1 x 5.5 and a lot less than 5. Here's a few pictures.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
So after a few days fishing with customers on the St Johns river I have arrived back at the Hot Rod Garage to see what the UPS guy delivered. It's pretty exciting that i have received the jack shafts and MC caps that were sent out for cad plating. They look great and I cannot wait to get the spare set up all back together. The fishing was great also with bass as follows: 3 x 7.5lbs, 1 x 6.5, 1 x 5.5 and a lot less than 5. Here's a few pictures.

Yea Bob.. Chris does great plating work, not to shiney like zinc gold looks, looks just like they would have in 1972.. Are those both square masted jacks?? I thought all the Square shafted jacks were silver cadmium?? Know little about 72 model year cars, so maybe I am wrong.. either way, looks great,...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill - they are both trapezoid shape. Here's a before picture that shows the remnants of the gold cad. Thanks for the tip on Chris.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Bill - they are both trapezoid shape. Here's a before picture that shows the remnants of the gold cad. Thanks for the tip on Chris.

It was just my eyes then, trapezoid shape is definately gold. ANd yes, Chris is a joy to work with and his method of real cad plating gives these parts the correct sheen/luster. ALways bothers me how "electric" gold zinc comes out, what you show here is just as they should be.. Yes, Chris is one of thise contacts you keep around for future use.. great work as I have said already.. just really looking good Bob..

Oh.. and sweet largemouth.. what 5-7 lbs?? bet you had one nice fish fry..