Old 02-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Thanks, Jim. Your recessed wiper switch in the picture looks different on the backside than my non-recessed wiper switch. That must be the problem, as I jumper wired good grounds to both the switch and the motor just to make sure it wasn't a ground problem. I was amazed to find such detailed information on this problem on this site. Thanks for posting your story. Where does a guy find one of these switches?

Jess

Old 02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

Yep, the switches are definitely wired differently internally as the connector is the same.

Oh yeah, I meant to address the "availability" question. I got mine (along with all my recessed parts) from 69gtocv (Jeff) when he scavanged some parts from a '69 LeMans headed to the scrap yard. I'm 99% certain they are not being made new, but check the PY catalog on this site just to make sure.

My best suggestion would be to print out my pic (I can e-mail it to you as well; click on my car to see my profile and drop me a line) and head to the junk yard. Look for any '69 with recessed wipers and I bet the switch will be the same.

The reason I wanted the recessesed wipers is I had them on my first '69 Custom S and always liked how they tucked away. Had I known all the challenges I'd have to face I may have reconsidered! However, I'm very happy with the result and it was well worth it.

Oh, don't forget to swap the arm that attaches to the wiper motor. This was the last piece I needed for the wiper arms to articulate properly. The arm below is the non-recessed arm. The proper arm is longer and is bent differently...

Seee-ya,

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2673_640.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	42565  

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
* Best ET: 14.06 - Bandimere Speedway, CO. @ 5,800+'
Old 02-15-2006, 10:41 PM

OK - I will look for a switch. At least it seems to work fine as is. It just bugs me that I have to turn the switch to high to turn the wipers off. It's not like I am really going to drive it in the rain much anyway. I just want the wipers hidden. I even thought of removing the wipers and using RainX on my window in case I ever got caught in a shower. I'm almost there. I just need the switch and I'll be good to go. Anybody got one they want to get rid of???

Thanks again Jim.

Jess

Old 02-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Glad I could help. I would post you're request for a switch to this forum:

61-77 GTO, Tempest & LeMans Parts WANTED

Then peruse the FOR SALE section to see what you can find:

61-77 GTO, Tempest & LeMans Parts For SALE

Often times guys are parting out cars and you can get in on the action...

Seee-ya and good luck!

Jim.

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
Old 02-17-2006, 03:01 AM

FYI- The recessed wipers was standard equipment on the Custom S. The problem was that some plants ran out of them so they used the non-recessed ones. So it all depends on which plant and when your car was built.

The original Custom S I owned in the late 70's had the recessed wipers.

Out of the 4 Custom S's I won now, 2 of them have the recessed wipers and 2 don't.
The 2 that don't were both built in April 1969, one is a Sports Coupe (post) and the other is a 2 door hardtop.

If any one would like more information on the Custom S please visit my web site at

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/356367

Thanks,

Custom_S (Tom)

Old 02-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Tim, welcome aboard!

Funny, I found your website on cardomain.com back in 2004 and found your page 3 ("Is it a Lemans, Is it a Tempest?") very useful. (Note that many of the links to the pics on page 3 are broken if I visit your site now).

Interesting theory (?) about the plants not having enough stock and having to used non-recessed wipers. What's weird is this necessitates a whole slew of other parts to be used in lieu of the recessed parts, even the chrome piece at the bottom of the windshield is different.

I'm curious, so let's compare notes:

- What plant(s) were your two Custom S' with non-recessed wipers built at?

My car was built in Fremont, CA (Z). I forget how to tell the month - look at the data plate on the cowl?

- yakker, what plant was yours built at, and the month?

Wonder if we can find a link to one site or two?

Assembly Plants
============
A=Atlanta,GA
B=Baltimore,MD
G=Framingham,MA
P=Pontiac,MI
R=Arlington,TX
Z=Fremont,CA

Seee-ya,

Jim.

Last edited by tremo; 02-21-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 AM

How do I know what plant my car was built at, and what date? Let me know how to decode this and I will check it out.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Thank you for the welcome,it has been awhile since I have been on this site.

This is the break down on my cars

#1- post coupe- hidden wipers- built in Baltimore,MD
#2- post coupe-Non-hidden--built in Fremont, CA
#3- hardtop- hidden wipers--built in Pontiac, MI
#4- hardtop-non-hidden-built in Arlington, TX

I was told of the part availability by some one that worked for PMD at the time. He says it used to happen all the time back then.

Tom

As for the "broken" pictures on my web site I will get them fixed this week

Old 02-19-2006, 03:32 PM

Mine has an R in the middle of the Vin number, so I guess it was built in Arlington, TX. It was sold new in Lander, Wyoming. How do I tell the manufacture date?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM

OK - I think I figured out the date code. It is 04D, which I guess is the 4th week of April, 1969. That seems to go along with yours, which were built in April and had the non-recessed wipers.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 AM

To help I went through the Custom S registry that I have started and match up what few pictures I have and this is what is showed

Hardtop-built in Atlanta, GA-non- recessed-built in April 1969
Hardtop built in Fremont, CA- recessed-originally bought in October 1968
Sport Coupe (post) built in Framingham, MA--recessed
Convertible built in Baltimore, MD--recessed.

Tom