Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM

That sounds like me. Straight to the heart or nose of the matter. Well it seems as though the idea of using just Permatex Right Stuff by itself isn't real popular and using a rubber or cork gasket with NO sealant is not used often either.

So I'll see if I can locate some snot today and use the rubber gaskets I already bought and go for it tonight. Unless of course some more opinions come this way. I'll probably go to a light coat of snot on the valve cover side of the rubber since this is an old block and used stainless covers. The bolt holes were a little warped and needed a light hammering so it's probably good to not just spot it.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
I used the felpro thick rubber gaskets and they work GREAT! I used a very thin film of Permatex on the valve covers just to hold the gasket while installing them. I placed a very small bead on the covers, placed the gaskets on and smashed them down with my fingers to distribute the Permatex, let them sit for 10 minutes to set up, and installed them. ZERO problems since then. I have around 4000 miles since then.
Typing at the same time. That's the gaskets I bought. Thanks for the reply and the description of how you did it.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What about water pump gasket sealant? I would guess I need to use a thin coat of High temp?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdclassics View Post
What about water pump gasket sealant? I would guess I need to use a thin coat of High temp?

I use the red spray permatex Hi-Tac, though you can use the brush on kind too. Edelbrock makes gaska-cinch, that would work there too. You could use spray copper hi-tac, but it would kind of stick out because of the color.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...t_sealants.htm

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdclassics View Post
Why would you need a high-temperature gasket goo on a water pump? It'll never get above 260 degrees; and probably never hotter than ~200.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do what Steve does, just to hold the gasket to the cover for an easier install. The rubber gaskets seem to seal better. Not much silicone or parmatex or gasgasinch or whatever you choose is needed---just enough to hold the gaskets in place for the install.