THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-22-2024, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, I’ll play. I don’t have anything super fancy. Enough to get the job done though. Or as my dad always said, good enough for who it’s for.

I have a mid 80s Fisher (Sanyo I believe) setup along with a Sony TC-228 8 track deck.

I also have my 1998 or 9 Aiwa I got for Christmas back then. It became a garage unit for years and fell into disrepair. Every belt in it melted and the cd tray no longer cooperated. I decided to see if I could fix it and got it back into normal working order. It does sound good at something like 420w (probably peak), is Dolby 5.1 analog capable. I currently have a Bluetooth adapter hooked to one of the inputs to stream my phone to should the desire arise. I also have another TC-228 I bought for parts that ended up working which I hooked up to this. You’d be surprised how good some tapes sound through this compared to the Fisher.

As for the car, nothing fancy. Factory red dot and console 8 track player. I have a set installed and this is a spare set I’m going to have refurbished to install then figure out what I’m gonna do with the extra.

Lastly, I bought a lot of like 75 8 track tapes recently which included this GE Powersound. It needed some tweaking but I got it working again and cleaned up. Fun little unit that can run off 12v, 120v house power or 8 D cell batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	634107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3633.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	634108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4901.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	634109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3893.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	634110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4491.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	634111  

Brian
Old 05-22-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
oops forgot obligatory pic - thing was ahead of it's time
Wow, that looks like my backup boombox. I've had the silver PC-5 since the early 80's and I bought the black PC-55 this year off Craigslist - the price was right for me.

Some of those PC-55 boomboxes have outrageous prices on Ebay. Based on my limited reading everybody is looking for one with a functioning LCD screen. The one I bought has a great screen. The one owner said he paid $600 new so you must have a lot of hours to get that monster.

Now to go outside and crank up some tunes

Name:	JVC PC-55.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	634112

Old 05-22-2024, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
oops forgot obligatory pic - thing was ahead of it's time
That is advanced looking!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
Ok, I’ll play. I don’t have anything super fancy. Enough to get the job done though. Or as my dad always said, good enough for who it’s for.

I have a mid 80s Fisher (Sanyo I believe) setup along with a Sony TC-228 8 track deck.

I also have my 1998 or 9 Aiwa I got for Christmas back then. It became a garage unit for years and fell into disrepair. Every belt in it melted and the cd tray no longer cooperated. I decided to see if I could fix it and got it back into normal working order. It does sound good at something like 420w (probably peak), is Dolby 5.1 analog capable. I currently have a Bluetooth adapter hooked to one of the inputs to stream my phone to should the desire arise. I also have another TC-228 I bought for parts that ended up working which I hooked up to this. You’d be surprised how good some tapes sound through this compared to the Fisher.

As for the car, nothing fancy. Factory red dot and console 8 track player. I have a set installed and this is a spare set I’m going to have refurbished to install then figure out what I’m gonna do with the extra.

Lastly, I bought a lot of like 75 8 track tapes recently which included this GE Powersound. It needed some tweaking but I got it working again and cleaned up. Fun little unit that can run off 12v, 120v house power or 8 D cell batteries.
Wow! Some cool stuff! I had an 8-track similar to that GE Powersound. I think mine was grey with orange button. Hmm... Got it for a B-Day present along with Boston's first and Eagles greatest hits.

Old 05-22-2024, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Don't know which one you're asking about.
The first Pioneer digital cassette you posted earlier.
Hollywood edition. (slang name)

If it had built in equalizer bands and auto-reverse = Texas Tycoon

The closest I came to anything like that was a Realistic high power digital in dash cassette.
With red LCD .
Younger neighborhood kid stole it right out of the Radio Shack store display and ran with it.
Wanted $50 for a $300+ stereo. Gave him a $35 ounce of Columbian Gold grass for it.
Spray painted the tape door so it was a no-name ,,,, just in case.

My first home stereo would direct record 8track tapes from albums , so I stayed with 8tracks for a good while after cassettes had already gotten popular.

Old 05-22-2024, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a pic of the 8-track player that I had!!! Wow! My memory is better than I though! LOL!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-Track.GIF
Views:	109
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	634116  

Old 05-22-2024, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
The first Pioneer digital cassette you posted earlier.
Hollywood edition. (slang name)

If it had built in equalizer bands and auto-reverse = Texas Tycoon

The closest I came to anything like that was a Realistic high power digital in dash cassette.
With red LCD .
Younger neighborhood kid stole it right out of the Radio Shack store display and ran with it.
Wanted $50 for a $300+ stereo. Gave him a $35 ounce of Columbian Gold grass for it.
Spray painted the tape door so it was a no-name ,,,, just in case.

My first home stereo would direct record 8track tapes from albums , so I stayed with 8tracks for a good while after cassettes had already gotten popular.
It is a cool piece of history. Wish it worked well. Needs restored I guess. Still works. Just sounds bad. No equalizer function that I'm aware of. Just tone, etc. like normal. Used to have a Clarion equalizer hooked up to it. Good old distortion amplifies! LOL

Old 05-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the equalizer that I had. Having fun on memory lane!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Equalizer.GIF
Views:	107
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	634117  

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It doesn't.
The Tycoon had 5 slides where yours has preset station buttons.
And would say auto-reverse on the door.

Yours was still a big daddy unit in the day.
Pioneer or Kenwood decks were the top brass items. Especially digital.
Not that they didn't have equals - it was the name and price point that said it all .

Old 05-22-2024, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to have to put up some pics in this thread.
Thing is, it will take me some time to gather up all my stuff and take the pictures. It will take a good couple hours to dig up all my stereo stuff, get it all in one place and put it back where it was.
I have some stuff now.
Pontiacs, Stereos, Golf, Guns, Welding equipment, tools........................................ you know, the cool stuff !
One day, when I am quite old I will have a garage sale for the ages.

Old 05-22-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I found a pic of the 8-track player that I had!!! Wow! My memory is better than I though! LOL!

Great looking 8-Track player. I used Kate's Track Shack to help repair my portable. I remember listening to Elton John's Greatest Hits on that thing in the 70's and thinking the speaker was as big as the front grille. Decades later I find out it's just a small speaker on the lower half of the grille. More childhood innocence lost

Name:	Panasonic 8-Track.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	634119

Let's hope Mom doesn't look behind the small stack of tapes, nothing there she needs to see anyhow

http://www.katestrackshack.com/index.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to TacoTownCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=TacoTownCharlie;6505036]Wow, that looks like my backup boombox. I've had the silver PC-5 since the early 80's and I bought the black PC-55 this year off Craigslist - the price was right for me.

Oh wow almost looks modern in black...nice

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-22-2024, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That is advanced looking!
Especially for <checks calendar>....1985...looks like a GTA dash haha

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-22-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Don't know which one you're asking about. I hadn't thought of selling mine. It was in my car, when I bought it, in 1985. Probably sit on the shelf forever. Like a bunch of other parts. Ha. I'd sell it if someone wanted to use it though. It is a conversation piece! Kinda like my Lightning Rod shifter. I found a picture of a Supertuner like my first one. This one has a chunk out of it and the FF/Rev button missing. Still asking $50! I'm tempted to buy it just to marvel at. LOL
I was just asking because I thought you were just going to throw it out. I would have just resold it anyway so no biggie. I find old two knob car stereos at the junkyard from time to time and they sell for decent money depending on brand. Surprisingly a good amount of older aftermarket stereos still work after sitting in a field for years and the best part is the junkyard only charges 5 for them.
My car stereo was/is a old Optimus (sears) cassette with the CD in 3.5mm plug. I didnt really car about brands of car stereos back in the day as long it has the amplifier with the green and red lights in sync with the music.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Especially for <checks calendar>....1985...looks like a GTA dash haha
HA! I guess I should have said "for it's day".

Old 05-22-2024, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best car speakers I had in the early to mid 80's were in a self contained metal box/cabinet.
About 6" high , 3" wide , 3" deep. Very Heavy little rascals for their size.
Cannot remember their name brand.

I had Pioneer Jensen and Sparkomatic speakers but the little boxes sounded the best of those.
They came with C-shaped hanger brackets to mount about anywhere.

When I replaced the Sparkys with Jensen Triax I put the Sparkomatic grilles on them to lower their value.
Miracle I never got ripped off with all the advertising (loud music) I was putting out.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Being an old guy here (amongst many others) I gravitate to technology of the past eg 60's - 70's Pontiacs. I have other old stuff hobbies. One is vacuum tube audio. The attached are 2 pics. 1st is my self-designed & assembled vacuum amp 75WPC. It's in for mods. The other is my audio bench, to the right a Dynaco ST70 & a new project. In the spring & summer, it's busy cause the 65 is out on the road; come late fall it flips. I will follow up with other pics tomorrow maybe. With the aforementioned amp in for mods, I am using a pair of Dyna Mk3's. The only part of my system that isn't custom is the phono preamp- Dyna PAS 3 design. Maybe someday, we'll get to the Lionel trains & antique radios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	634125   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	634126  

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 05-22-2024, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS57 View Post
Being an old guy here (amongst many others) I gravitate to technology of the past eg 60's - 70's Pontiacs. I have other old stuff hobbies. One is vacuum tube audio. The attached are 2 pics. 1st is my self-designed & assembled vacuum amp 75WPC. It's in for mods. The other is my audio bench, to the right a Dynaco ST70 & a new project. In the spring & summer, it's busy cause the 65 is out on the road; come late fall it flips. I will follow up with other pics tomorrow maybe. With the aforementioned amp in for mods, I am using a pair of Dyna Mk3's. The only part of my system that isn't custom is the phono preamp- Dyna PAS 3 design. Maybe someday, we'll get to the Lionel trains & antique radios.
Nice equipment and a really, really nice electronics workbench you have there.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS57 View Post
I have other old stuff hobbies. One is vacuum tube audio. .
What type of music do you generally play on that system ?

Old 05-22-2024, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default akai 3 r casette deck and heathkit AR-1500

3 head 3 motor, dual capstan, solenoid operated transport, still works.

spent $500 on that back in late 70's, i believe.

I bought the Heathkit because it had an honest 600W RMS per channel, the kit, with walnut case was $300 in the mid '70's. It has a power supply issue, the front panel is a little dim. probably electrolytic caps need R&R. I need to get to that.

George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aka2i.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	634139   Click image for larger version

Name:	heathkit2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	634140