Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-15-2024, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother in law is a chemist at Lucas oil in California. He personally knows the owner of the company. My brother in law formulates the racing oil for a prominent Nascar Racing Team located in Welcome North Carolina. Even he says that some of the Lucas products are snake oil, which includes the oil stabilizer. He once asked the owner why he sells the stuff, his reply was because they make a lot of money. If you have the right oil adding additives will only make it worse not better. Just because you have used it for years and your engines didn't blow up is not scientific evidence that it did anything positive to improve engine life or performance. Fuel additives for the most part do help to clean fuel injectors.

Many years ago I bought a 67 GTO, back in 1973. The oil changes had been neglected and there was sludge built up under the valve covers. So following the instructions exactly I added a can of Risolene engine flush. Then changed the oil and filter. The next time I got on it hard through the gears it developed a rod knock. I had sludge but then I needed a new engine. Better to have sludge. Don't use this stuff just change the oil.

Last edited by Tim Corcoran; 05-15-2024 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:33 AM

thanks for posting this

Old 05-15-2024, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
My brother in law is a chemist at Lucas oil in California. He personally knows the owner of the company. My brother in law formulates the racing oil for a prominent Nascar Racing Team located in Welcome North Carolina. Even he says that some of the Lucas products are snake oil, which includes the oil stabilizer. He once asked the owner why he sells the stuff, his reply was because they make a lot of money. If you have the right oil adding additives will only make it worse not better. Just because you have used it for years and your engines didn't blow up is not scientific evidence that it did anything positive to improve engine life or performance. Fuel additives for the most part do help to clean fuel injectors.

Many years ago I bought a 67 GTO, back in 1973. The oil changes had been neglected and there was sludge built up under the valve covers. So following the instructions exactly I added a can of Risolene engine flush. Then changed the oil and filter. The next time I got on it hard through the gears it developed a rod knock. I had sludge but then I needed a new engine. Better to have sludge. Don't use this stuff just change the oil.
I remember these comments you posted months back regarding Lucas products! Never believed it and also wondered what type of snake oil Lucas is?? Rattlesnake, Garter Snake, etc.!! Further, I also wondered how Lucas would feel to know an employee is running down their products!! Regardless, it is your relative's opinion which is not shared by many. I've used Lucas products and have seen the benefits they give my classic!! Cliff Ruggles also uses their products and his experiences I hold in high regard!! Again, oil, additives, etc. is a personal choice and people use what they're comfortable with!! Period!!! The internet, chat rooms, etc. are full of BS, probably 75-80% so I recommend anyone wanting to try these products to use them and see the results for themselves!!

Last edited by Ram Air IV Jack; 05-15-2024 at 12:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I doubt the CEO is talking **** about his “money making” product. In fact if it is snake oil and he knows it human nature says he’s more likely to double down when pressed. I use Lucas and STP. Lucas trans goo is what’s keeping the 4L60 in my truck going. I know cause it stopped the shudder. What’s your brother in laws sisters cousins gynecologists feelings on STP?

Old 05-15-2024, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Marvel Mystery Oil on occasion. I have seen good results adding it to gas and/or oil. But it is mechanic in a bottle. Helps avoid tearing something down and fixing it correctly. Outside of that, I have never observed a need to supplement my oil. Buy good quality oil that meets the spec for your application. You shouldn't need to improve it. Otherwise, you have $h!t oil or $h!t equipment. Everyone wants to take a pill to feel better, or lose weight, instead of eating right and working out. Oil additives fit the same mold.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The lucas oil stabilizer is not snake oil... it does exactly what its advertised to do & nothing more, its not a zddp or other additives product, its made to thicken the oil somewhat but more so it makes it "sticky" or cling to parts which does improve lubrication qualities for all kinds of engines from cars/trucks to small engine equipment. I use it in my older lawn mower & it definitely reduces oil burning & consumption.

Im sure everyone has seen that lucas display on the counter at parts stores, where you turn the handle to rotate the gears, its easy to see how it clings to the gear teeth & will climb up to the top of a series of gears compared to oil without lucas that barely climbs up 1 or 2 gears. It does what its advertised to do.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
The same thing can be accomplished with 2 cycle oil with TcW3 that you get with Lucas fuel treatment for half the cost.

The biggest difference is Lucas really isn't overly critical how much you dump in the tank and you actually use more of it per gallon according to their instructions.
The 2 cycle oil only needs 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas. So a very small amount that needs to be measured. You get the same end result. Better mpg, lubricates the top of the engine, valves, seats, upper cylinders etc... and it's way cheaper. A gallon will treat up to 600 gallons of fuel.

I've been using that in everything for about 25 years.
That's actually interesting. I have lots of 2 stroke powersports here. Sleds Bikes RC Planes etc. So always a couple gallons of Opti2 on my shelf

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
Old 05-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
The lucas oil stabilizer is not snake oil... it does exactly what its advertised to do & nothing more, its not a zddp or other additives product, its made to thicken the oil somewhat but more so it makes it "sticky" or cling to parts which does improve lubrication qualities for all kinds of engines from cars/trucks to small engine equipment. I use it in my older lawn mower & it definitely reduces oil burning & consumption.

Im sure everyone has seen that lucas display on the counter at parts stores, where you turn the handle to rotate the gears, its easy to see how it clings to the gear teeth & will climb up to the top of a series of gears compared to oil without lucas that barely climbs up 1 or 2 gears. It does what its advertised to do.
That would increase parasitic drag significantly right? We put wipers on crankshafts to reduce this. A worn out lawnmower is another thing obviously.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
That would increase parasitic drag significantly right? We put wipers on crankshafts to reduce this. A worn out lawnmower is another thing obviously.
Possibly. Significantly? Probably not. Doubt its even measurable on a dyno at the right ratio.

Its only supposed to be added at a diluted rate, I doubt the proper amount would create much drag on the system, heck just trying to turn the pump to prime an engine shows how much parasitic drag there is in an oil system. Guys running 20/50 oil in their street tolerance or stock engines creates more drag than a little bit of lucas or STP IMO.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post

That's referred to in the industry as climbing lube. There are a few ring gear companies that recommend that type of lube when building rear ends and when I get it from them, if I remember right it always comes in a moroso bottle. I'll have to check on that but the point I'm getting at is that unless someone is aware of another, Lucas is the only other gear oil I'm aware of that sells the climbing gear lube. Ive used that stuff in rear end builds for many years. Many years ago in the 80's I seem to recall it coming in kendle bottles

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-15-2024, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run Lucas Oil Stabilizer with 10w-30 oil and STP for this valvetrain. I want sticky here.

https://youtu.be/kuCSJbVflyQ?si=DGMC5M6B1Fibpi2W
I pulled the check ball out of the lash adjuster as I was testing something else.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 05-15-2024, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew posting this would create some controversy. Advertising is a powerful tool and it works the same as the propaganda our government puts out, and most people eat it up like ice cream. Every word I said about Lucas is true. You can call me a liar but I speak the truth. It's a lot easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they are wrong. Heck if you have been doing something for 50 years there is no way it was a waste of time or money, right?

Old 05-15-2024, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember Slick50, Prolong, ZMAX, and STP (many years ago). No thanks. My regular oil changes are doing just fine. Sorry, I don't buy the sticky climbing oil theory. Their little display. What's in the comparison side? Gold colored piss water? Who knows? The only oil I ever noticed poor performance from was Pennzoil. I used it when I first started driving. Probably advertising! Hmm... The oil pressure would drop A LOT when warmed up. I switched to Quaker State. It was much better. Then I found out they were bought by Pennzoil. No thanks. Switched to Valvoline. Have no complaints. A Shell Oil engineer talked to us when I was in A&P school. He said to look on the back of the oil container. See what API standards it has met. Go with that. https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...s#tab-gasoline

Old 05-16-2024, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I remember Slick50, Prolong, ZMAX, and STP (many years ago). No thanks. My regular oil changes are doing just fine. Sorry, I don't buy the sticky climbing oil theory. Their little display. What's in the comparison side? Gold colored piss water? Who knows? The only oil I ever noticed poor performance from was Pennzoil. I used it when I first started driving. Probably advertising! Hmm... The oil pressure would drop A LOT when warmed up. I switched to Quaker State. It was much better. Then I found out they were bought by Pennzoil. No thanks. Switched to Valvoline. Have no complaints. A Shell Oil engineer talked to us when I was in A&P school. He said to look on the back of the oil container. See what API standards it has met. Go with that. https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...s#tab-gasoline
Have you ever disassembled a engine that ran Lucas ? I have, you can feel a sticky film on everything. It works. Does it dilute the oil, sure. Does it make the oil not last quite as long, sure.
But it does help a great deal with dry starts. Where we are told most of your wear comes from.
I have used it on my Briggs lawn mower I bought in 94.
It still runs on the first pull and has went though 4 decks that rutsed out.
It helps out small engines a great deal IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Have you ever disassembled a engine that ran Lucas ? I have, you can feel a sticky film on everything. It works. Does it dilute the oil, sure. Does it make the oil not last quite as long, sure.
But it does help a great deal with dry starts. Where we are told most of your wear comes from.
I have used it on my Briggs lawn mower I bought in 94.
It still runs on the first pull and has went though 4 decks that rutsed out.
It helps out small engines a great deal IMO.
I have not to my knowledge. What do the engines look like, that you have disassembled, that didn't use Lucas? I have a Troybilt walk behind that's 20 years old. Still runs perfectly and doesn't smoke. Start right up every time. Just run straight 30w. Ever try to get straight 30w off of your hands? Try to wipe 20w50 off of your hand. Pretty damn sticky to me! I've probably saved enough money, not buying an additive every year, to buy a new engine. Or at least parts to rebuild it.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember Slick 50. I used to work at a mower shop that sold Slick50. We did and unscientific test using Slick 50 and regular motor oil. I don't remember the details but we ended up running the engines until they seized and Slick 50 was the definite looser.

We used to use and sell Lucas Racing oil. Never had an issue with it until we learned that the bearings in roller lifters and rocker arms along with roller cam bearings require a certain amount of Zinc to live a full life. I had a conversation with a Lucas engineer and he said their racing oil required a Zinc additive to make the roller bearings happy. During the conversation Valvoline ZR-1 was mentioned. Not only did the ZR-1 have enough Zinc the Lucas engineer stated the VR-1 was an excellent oil and their racing oil required an additive to be considered comparable.

Another concern is what formula was good yesterday may not be good today and rumors make it impossible to know what has changed. I heard a second hand story that convinced me STP did something positive. The problem is the story is forty plus years old. I doubt the same STP formula exists today.

Remember when folks were paying up big dollars for GM posi lube because the original formula contained Whale oil and was the only stuff that worked well. I sold all I had and my posi unit has never chattered once using an alternative additive.

I enjoy reading folks opinions and value the source that helped form the opinion. Keep doing whatever is working for you. It can't be that far wrong if you're happy with it.

Years ago a buddy was sponsored by Prolong. I figured he might have an "in" as to whether that additive did anything worthwhile. I asked him several times and always received the same answer... "I'll give you a bottle they gave me a whole bunch of the stuff".

Btw ..... Who makes the best car stereo, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood etc.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I remember Slick 50. I used to work at a mower shop that sold Slick50. We did and unscientific test using Slick 50 and regular motor oil. I don't remember the details but we ended up running the engines until they seized and Slick 50 was the definite looser.

We used to use and sell Lucas Racing oil. Never had an issue with it until we learned that the bearings in roller lifters and rocker arms along with roller cam bearings require a certain amount of Zinc to live a full life. I had a conversation with a Lucas engineer and he said their racing oil required a Zinc additive to make the roller bearings happy. During the conversation Valvoline ZR-1 was mentioned. Not only did the ZR-1 have enough Zinc the Lucas engineer stated the VR-1 was an excellent oil and their racing oil required an additive to be considered comparable.

Another concern is what formula was good yesterday may not be good today and rumors make it impossible to know what has changed. I heard a second hand story that convinced me STP did something positive. The problem is the story is forty plus years old. I doubt the same STP formula exists today.

Remember when folks were paying up big dollars for GM posi lube because the original formula contained Whale oil and was the only stuff that worked well. I sold all I had and my posi unit has never chattered once using an alternative additive.

I enjoy reading folks opinions and value the source that helped form the opinion. Keep doing whatever is working for you. It can't be that far wrong if you're happy with it.

Years ago a buddy was sponsored by Prolong. I figured he might have an "in" as to whether that additive did anything worthwhile. I asked him several times and always received the same answer... "I'll give you a bottle they gave me a whole bunch of the stuff".

Btw ..... Who makes the best car stereo, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood etc.
Obviously Pioneer

Old 05-16-2024, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
I knew posting this would create some controversy. Advertising is a powerful tool and it works the same as the propaganda our government puts out, and most people eat it up like ice cream. Every word I said about Lucas is true. You can call me a liar but I speak the truth. It's a lot easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they are wrong. Heck if you have been doing something for 50 years there is no way it was a waste of time or money, right?
Im not calling you a liar, just stating some facts of what lucas stabilizer advertises and does, how is that snake oil if it does what its intended to do? Ive used it for 25+ years & it does exactly what myself & many others have seen it do.
I think your last statement applies to you too, you "think" lucas is snake oil based on an anecdotal comment from the alleged chemist that formulates their racing oil but doesnt make the stabilizer and most likely has never actually tested it... kinda hard to convince you that your subjective opinion might be wrong, right?

Quote:
I highly doubt the lucas display has gold colored piss water on the other side or is doing anything deceptive, thats not a very scientific way to try & dispel something by making up a far fetched imaginary scenario.

Penzoil is excellent oil based on all the VOA's (virgin oil analysis) Ive seen in the last ~20 years... when did you use it, 40-50 years ago when you first started driving? I have used penzoil off & on since 30 some years ago with no signs of what you mentioned and have used it in recent years with zero negative issues, about to do a change on my daily with it in a couple weeks, will report back if my oil psi drops A LOT or at all.

Penzoil meets the same API specs as any other oil, aside from some specialty oils all name brand modern oils meet the same API standards as they are updated. Based on the Shell engineers comments, penzoil or any other oil is OK to use because it meets the API standards...

Old 05-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HAH! Pual’s comments now reminds me of the spoof Slick50 advertisement video my Dad, my brother and I did. Dad was the commentator, he gave the used car salesman slick50 pitch, reading all the things it said it would do off the label. We filmed him pouring it into the completely shot small block engine in our 71 Chevelle. When he was about finished pouring the Slick50 in I remember he got a scissor’s out of his pocket and got it to stop pouring by cutting the flow off with the scissors. Completely caught us off guard, was all we could do to keep from laughing. We took the car out to the highway, filming a drag racing pass for a “before” shot. I was driving, I did a neutral drop from about 4000 RPM. The car had straight pipes and a small cam, it sounded and looked tough at that point. But after I dropped it into first from N it spun the tires about 5 ft and pulled it to it’s knees and slowly took off. .

The after video was to show how well it works was suppose to be with the new engine… Good intentions that never happened.

We all know the Pioneer stereo with the Kenwood speaker sounded the best. The Kraco amp did wonders to. LOL

Old 05-16-2024, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sparkomatic Rocks!!