THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:09 PM

Default Do you heat your shop with a radiant heat tube ? Read this..

I heat my shop with a 40 foot radiant heat tube that burns propane.
The sidewall exhaust vent has (had) a wire mesh screen tack welded up inside the exit. Apparently it had rusted out ...
I noticed a piece of dead grass hanging out of the exit pipe this week. Starlings had completely plugged up at least two feet of the exit vent with twigs and dead grass to build a nest. It was apparent that I had turned it on at least once in the last couple of week as some of the material was charred black. It was likely the same day I had a nagging headache ...

I had been thinking about getting a carbon monoxide (CO) detector for the shop. Next time to town I will be getting one.

Screwed on a piece of mesh that is very visible from the ground -pic attached

So if you heat with a radiant heat tube, please check your exit vent. Make sure it is screened to keep critters out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radianttube.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	633586  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to comanchefirebird For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate those tube heaters. No offense meant. I worked on lots of them at work for years. Always was an air flow issue. Dirty filters were very common. Our systems were larger and had an air pump/venter motor to move the heated gases. They also incorporated pressure switches for safety. I like the over head Reznor Heaters. Easy to fix and service. Yes and in the warm days of summer the little birds like to build nest in them. Hell, my neighbors truck has been sitting all winter/spring outside and the song birds have made a nest in it.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

Glad you caught this in time!

Seeing your picture of the exhaust opening, I can see why you had an issue. It would take me an hour to find a picture of my exhaust opening, but it is made so that making a nest in it would be much harder than that.

I LOVE my 38 foot Roberts-Gordon radiant heat tube heaters & have them in both the main part of the building & the paint room for 20 years now. I have NEVER had any problems with them, in fact the guy who sold them to me keeps complaining about how he can't make money off of me when they lasted so long! LOL

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 05-11-2024, 11:19 PM

Radiant tube heat is one of the most efficient, and yes, the tube must be clear. What if you plugged the exhaust on your car, it would not fire. On the heater, there must be an air flow switch to confirm flow before an attempt to ignite. A CO detector is a good idea but may alarm when you run the car.

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate em, it’s like working in a toaster oven.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 05-12-2024, 06:36 PM

They do get HOT! They will fry your skull AND the paint on the car if too close on a lift! Designed for spaces with higher ceilings.