THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-26-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm keeping the honeycombs for my car since they're date matching. The Rally IIs on it are not. My car is 100% numbers match, but I changed to a H-O Specialties cam and made a few other minor motor tweaks when I rebuilt it a few years ago.

I had a 1972 T/A 4-spd almost 30 years ago. It had the factory honeycombs on it. I was out doing some hard driving, and either an inner or outer wheel bearing disintegrated while in a hard turn. I almost lost control of the car but kept it between the ditches. I've had wheel bearings fail before, but I don't remember the car acting that badly. I can't say it was all the wheels fault, but I knew a lighter wheel would have less rotational inertia. I changed all of my birds over to the 8" WS6 snowflake wheels. I ran snowflakes on the SD for a few years, but put a set of Rally IIs on it for a local POCI show. I never went back to the snowflakes or honeycombs.

I could definitely tell it cornered better with the snowflakes vs the honeycombs. I also felt it took less braking effort. They look nice, but I would never run honeycombs on a driver.