Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-08-2023, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Hey gang let’s drop the notion that a anti friction coating can be used to tighten up a bearing clearance issue, it’s not made for that purpose!

The RA4 motors had a rod bearing clearance spec range of up to .003” like you say you have, so as others have said just run it.

If you feel you’ed like some added protection then run a Qt of Lucus oil supplement, it good practice in general anyway at least during the Summer months if you do not have a oil cooler
So, if you want to run a .001 coated bearing by your logic you should have .001 less than optimal clearance ?
I don't buy it.
Coated bearings are better than non coated bearings and clearance is clearance.
The oil does not know the difference.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
King bearings make +.005 bearings, but honestly, resizing the rods are a better option.
How would that improve the clearance between the bearing and the rod journal? Resizing is done to correct out-of-round condition. The bearing shell is a fixed dimension, only the thickness of the bearing material changes accounting for undersize and clearance.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen +.002", .003 and .005" rod bearings available for some modern engines like the LS GM, some Chrysler stuff and some Ford engines with the "cracked rod, powdered metal " connecting rods. No other way to rebuild those when they are all messed up or have spun bearings. Because you can't cut the cracked caps, that is your only option other than replacement. Haven't seen these bearings available for any of the old engines, but they could exist I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get damn near any bearing size you could dream of for a sbc, but the only extra clearance I've ever found for a Pontiac is a -.001 for Ram Air rods, and only in a standard size journal, no extra clearance bearings, or undersized in .001 increments, as far as I've ever known in 50 years.

The moral to the story is your crank grinder better get it right the first time he cuts it, or you will be swapping different brands of manufacturers in to get where you need to be. I have even had to use and old bearing half, with a new bearing half to get desired clearance. There is a lot more leeway when you have too much clearance, as opposed to being too little clearance. When the crank heats up you're going to tighten the oil clearance up anyway, so better to have more room for expansion, than too little to begin with.

I've done a lot of Stratosteeak autopsies where there wasn't enough clearance to start with, resulting in too little room for an oil wedge to keep the parts from direct contact. Spun rod bearing, probably a broken rod, and flow through ventilation in the block, and pan.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have seen +.002", .003 and .005" rod bearings available for some modern engines like the LS GM, some Chrysler stuff and some Ford engines with the "cracked rod, powdered metal " connecting rods. No other way to rebuild those when they are all messed up or have spun bearings. Because you can't cut the cracked caps, that is your only option other than replacement. Haven't seen these bearings available for any of the old engines, but they could exist I guess.
Mike, we had +.001, +.002, +.003, +.005 and +.010 main bearings for aircraft recip engines because you could only grind the cranks .010 under as a last resort. In the few “cracked cap” rods I dealt with before I retired in 2011 I saw few that were actually spun; they tended to be more out of round than anything. I don’t trust that technology. The ONLY .001 +/- rod bearings I’ve seen for Pontiacs are the ones Butler carries and the ones for BBC rods used in Pontiacs with 2.200 rod journals.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
How would that improve the clearance between the bearing and the rod journal? Resizing is done to correct out-of-round condition. The bearing shell is a fixed dimension, only the thickness of the bearing material changes accounting for undersize and clearance.
Crush.

Big end tolerance is +- .0003, roughly, and can be 'played' with. How crush varies depends on the bearings/material.

True on the bearings for Pontiac 2.249/2.250 rods, I use 2.20 rods, my bad on the availability of + bearings.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following User Says Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mike, we had +.001, +.002, +.003, +.005 and +.010 main bearings for aircraft recip engines because you could only grind the cranks .010 under as a last resort. In the few “cracked cap” rods I dealt with before I retired in 2011 I saw few that were actually spun; they tended to be more out of round than anything. I don’t trust that technology. The ONLY .001 +/- rod bearings I’ve seen for Pontiacs are the ones Butler carries and the ones for BBC rods used in Pontiacs with 2.200 rod journals.
That makes sense. When your thousands of feet in the sky, tolerances, specs. and exact procedures are a life and death decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That makes sense. When your thousands of feet in the sky, tolerances, specs. and exact procedures are a life and death decision.
What really kills is loosing an engine fifty feet off the ground. I’ve had two friends killed in aircraft crashes over the years. Both had engine failure fifty feet or less off the ground. To even grind an aircraft crank .010 requires removing the nitriding from the crank, grinding the journals then having the crank nitrided again before finish polishing.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 10:08 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Had to look it up! from my 64 service man.!
Rod clearance WHEN NEW = .0005"-.0025".
Which implies . to me at least, .0005" wear would not be a problem.
in fact I have built street engines @ .0030" - .0035" with no problems, except being a little low oil pressure at idle. A change to 20/50 fixed it. Personally, I would run it.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn’t see it mentioned, what rod bearings are they? What brand, which type.

I tend to allow a different range for different types of bearings.

Stock replacement aluminum bi metal type bearing .0015 to .003’, preferably .002” to .0025”

trimetal .002” to .0035, preferably .0025” to .003”.

Coating tri metal would be a great option at .003”.

Trimetal has a pretty thin aluminum overlay, doesn’t take much to burn thru it if something isn’t quite perfect with tight clearance’s. Stock type bi metal conforms and wears better with tight clearence’s, much thicker overlay. Not sure Clevite even offers bimetal aluminum type bearings anymore, king and seal power do.

I know of a 455 that has .0035”, seal power trimetal bearings, (FM) and has 40K of really tough miles on it. 15w40 oil. It just got put in a different vehicle and inspected, the bearings were pretty much used up. With the abuse it had, it fair pretty decent though.

Last edited by Jay S; 09-08-2023 at 11:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess one can resort to using the special oil developed for the Pratt & Whitney Ram Jet engines that where used in the A-12 and the later SR-71 spy planes.

This oil was solid at 60f like wheel bearing grease and had to be at 85 degrees before it even started to flow at all , lol!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-09-2023, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess one can resort to using the special oil developed for the Pratt & Whitney Ram Jet engines that where used in the A-12 and the later SR-71 spy planes.

This oil was solid at 60f like wheel bearing grease and had to be at 85 degrees before it even started to flow at all , lol!
Uh, the J-58s used the same turbine engine oil as the rest of the Air Force’s turbine engines. It went into ramjet mode at speeds over Mach 2.5. It couldn’t be solid at 60F because the engines wouldn’t start. The SR-71s flew out of Great Britain for years. It gets a tad chilly in Great Britain in the winter.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2023, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't see it mentioned or may have missed it, but you are checking them exactly 90 degrees from the parting lines, right?

For engines built here, I prefer to be on the mimimum spec vs the maximum........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was what was called a start cart for each engine.
The cart had 2 Buick V8 engines that thru a special drive set up would spin the engine up to a certain rpm where they could be injected with a special fuel used just to get them up to there 3200 rpm idle speed.

Later versions of the start cart used 454 Chevy motors.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-09-2023, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
Had to look it up! from my 64 service man.!
Rod clearance WHEN NEW = .0005"-.0025".
Which implies . to me at least, .0005" wear would not be a problem.
in fact I have built street engines @ .0030" - .0035" with no problems, except being a little low oil pressure at idle. A change to 20/50 fixed it. Personally, I would run it.
I would take anything this man says regarding Pontiac pretty damn solid advice.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There was what was called a start cart for each engine.
The cart had 2 Buick V8 engines that thru a special drive set up would spin the engine up to a certain rpm where they could be injected with a special fuel used just to get them up to there 3200 rpm idle speed.

Later versions of the start cart used 454 Chevy motors.
There was ONE start cart per engine that contained TWO 401 Buick “nail head” engines coupled to one “generator” . Spent nearly 25 YEARS maintaining turbine engines of all types; turboprops(fixed and free turbine), turbojets, turbofans and turboshafts. ALL of them use one of the three types of turbine engine oil; all of them have the consistency of water because they are all synthetic and have to be able to run lubricate down to-60F. The fuel was JP-7, a super refined version of aviation kerosene that was incredibly stable. It was used for fuel, coolant and hydraulic fluid in the SR-71. It was ignited through a chemical ignition(triethylene boron) because a normal spark ignition would not ignite JP-7. 3600 rpm? Try much higher. Most turbine engines I dealt with “light off” at around 13-17% N1 (primary turbine speed). Many earlier turbojets (J-58 was identified as an after burning turbojet by P&W)had start speed as high as 61% N1. Primary turbines speeds, when measured in rpms, are in the neighborhood of 10,000-15,000 rpm at start up with operating speeds as high as 40,000 rpm. The TEB was injected into the J-58 at 3,200 rpm for the engines in the start set.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2023, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
There was ONE start cart per engine that contained TWO 401 Buick “nail head” engines coupled to one “generator” . Spent nearly 25 YEARS maintaining turbine engines of all types; turboprops(fixed and free turbine), turbojets, turbofans and turboshafts. ALL of them use one of the three types of turbine engine oil; all of them have the consistency of water because they are all synthetic and have to be able to run lubricate down to-60F. The fuel was JP-7, a super refined version of aviation kerosene that was incredibly stable. It was used for fuel, coolant and hydraulic fluid in the SR-71. It was ignited through a chemical ignition(triethylene boron) because a normal spark ignition would not ignite JP-7. 3600 rpm? Try much higher. Most turbine engines I dealt with “light off” at around 13-17% N1 (primary turbine speed). Many earlier turbojets (J-58 was identified as an after burning turbojet by P&W)had start speed as high as 61% N1. Primary turbines speeds, when measured in rpms, are in the neighborhood of 10,000-15,000 rpm at start up with operating speeds as high as 40,000 rpm. The TEB was injected into the J-58 at 3,200 rpm for the engines in the start set.
What does this have to do with rod bearing clearance?

Old 09-09-2023, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think North Korea just updated their jet engine playbook.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have in some cases when I wanted a half a thousanth less clearance took the rod cap and sanded it on a piece of glass with 600 wet or dry sandpaper until the machine marks were gone. Don't forget the clearence at the parting line is more to allow for the elongation of the big end during high rpm runs.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 09-10-2023, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
What does this have to do with rod bearing clearance?
Looks like steve25 decided to delete a few of his posts. Simple answer: there is ZERO turbine oil the consistency of grease, period. Likewise, no amount of “miracle oil” is going to “cure” bad machining on the rods or the crank. Mike gave what I consider to be the ONLY way to set the ID on the rod big end: have a .0005 tolerance.

Dr. Thomas Sowell