Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Low Temp Plumbing solder

I have to install some globe valves in a plumbing project ... anyone have a favorite low temp lead free plumbing solder? Valve manufacturer recommends 420 degree ... I see Oatley sells a 420-460 degree.

Any opinions on soldering globe valves .... do it open or shut?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2022, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I have to install some globe valves in a plumbing project ... anyone have a favorite low temp lead free plumbing solder? Valve manufacturer recommends 420 degree ... I see Oatley sells a 420-460 degree.

Any opinions on soldering globe valves .... do it open or shut?

Thanks
Nothing on your solder question, I usually just buy what HD has in the store.

I would do them open, if you have a dead head line closed on one end, the solder will bubble when the pressure increases in that line from heating the joint. If the end of the pipe is open it wouldn't make a difference.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 02:37 PM

Thumbs up solder

Just what Sirrotica said. I used to work as plumber.

The Following User Says Thank You to bob d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you considered shark bite?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A9611E9-8D31-4C69-9C18-DBE8720CC374.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	583548  

Old 02-06-2022, 01:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dont forget the flux and let it cool before you close the valve so you dont damage the seat

The Following User Says Thank You to Redpiston For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tips.

Read somewhere that Sterling solder is good for the ball valves, lead free and melts at 410. I've installed numerous ball valve in the house with regular lead free solder ... no problems so far ... but considering this project is a half dozen 3/4" valves at about $20 a pop I want to make double sure.

I've used a bunch of Shark-bite for small supply shut offs under cabinets and such, love them. Just checked the price on the 3/4" ball valves and was very surprised that they are about the same $20. The problem with them used in this application is that these are all going to be way upstream in the supply system and need to have the best flow they can possibly have .. the Sharkbite ball valves neck down quite a bit inside, down to about 1/2" it looks like.

However, you have reminded me, I have two 1/2" ball valves that go in this project, and they are in a cramped area ... think I'll go with Sharkbite in those locations.

My only issue with Sharkbites and lever handle ball valves, which require some torque to open and close its the valve spins too easy on the pipe, making them awkward to open and close ... but then these are main shut offs for the upstairs, kitchen etc ... not like I'm going to be operating them even once a year.

It is important to me that the installation appears to be professionally done .. which in general is still soldered connections on a copper tube system.