THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Jump box

Anyone have a jump box they absolutely love?

Mine didn’t work the last two times I needed it so I need to replace it.

I am open to any ideas- with or without air compressor, light etc.

I like the new smaller one but haven’t had much luck with the smaller ones I’ve bought.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Booster Pack brand has served us well at the school. We have over 100 vehicles that need to be moved in and out of the building each day. Most of them have dead batteries. These units are rugged and get the job done. Even the best like these only last 2-3 years. That is their life span. For occasional use, I still prefer a good set of jumper cables and a charger. A 1500 Amp Booster Pack is around $180.00. Best case scenario, that's $60.00 a year.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old school Nickle cad ( NiCad) are NOT the thing to buy. Li ( Lithium Ion seems to work better for me.
I have used the Booster pack BUT they work best if used every day and kept above 40 degrees oF.
I would try to buy one without all the bells and whistles. Bigger battery is always best.
These typically only work if your battery can hold 55% or more charge.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I went to pickup one of our school buses at a big shop, they performed some body work, I had no time to do.
Went out to start it up, to drive back, it was completely dead. One of the employees I know, went and got this teenie weenie little box, I'd say less than half the size of a loaf of bread. I'd never seen a jump box this small. It must obviously be Lithium powered. He tells me it will start a completely dead semi rig........He hooks it up, I immediately hit the key and it fires up!!! WOW!!! I ask where did you get THAT, and how much...Local Frieghtliner dealer down the road...$800.00. Mind you this shop is big, maybe room for 200 rigs, they can repair ANYthing you have truck wise...THey use this tiny jump box when needed, and that can be often...

We have the largest 12 volt jump box that NAPA makes at my work, around $250.00. It does the job BUT it weighs about 35 pounds, and is a pain to tote around.........can't justify spending $800.00 of the schools money for the nice one, oh well....we thankfully don't use ours often, and we only have 27 buses. I'm able to keep them going...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It would be nice to have one small enough to take with me. It’s rare that I have a problem (most cars stay on a battery tender and I don’t drive very far) but when you need it you need it

Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been hearing about some that are pocket-size . lol
As crazy as it sounds, people are saying they work.

I agree with other replies about their life expectancy.
I had a Harbor multi-unit that lasted about 3 years or so.

My dad gave me one he had only used twice, it was a nice looking brand name unit.
He said he got it about 2 years ago - but then found a smaller lighter unit he wanted instead. And wasn't using the big one.

Took it home and plugged her in, she was dead.
Tried a few things - couldn't even get an indicator light to come on.
Inactivity must kill them faster than anything.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I worked for the ACDelco warehouse distributor, we handled the NOCO line of jump packs:

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

I personally own the GB70. I sold a number of the 150's to a number of repair shops that wanted to start vehicles with totally dead batteries - and they did. My GB70 will definitely start my 462 with a weak battery easily. But to turn it over with a totally dead battery I'd need the 150. I know the 70 will handle the 4 cylinders in my daily drivers with ease. For my purposes, the 150 was gross overkill.

The 70 is rated for up to an 8 liter gas or 6 liter diesel. The "baby" GB20 is only rated up to a 4 liter.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have this Halo for a few years, it is rechargable, but have only had to charge it a few times. Been using it on my Firebird in the spring this year till I bought a new Battery, It was 9 years old.

Also use it for my rider mower the first start of the year every year.

Now that my snowmobile battery wil lbe on it's 4th season and has no pull start, I'm going to carry it next winter. Any signs of a battery issue will just buy a new battery.

Bolt Portable AC Car Jump Starter
58830 mWh Portable Car Jumper Starter with AC outlet

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/bolt-acdc...xoCW88QAvD_BwE

Below motor destroyed last fall

469, 6X-4's, 72 Intake, Ramair Manifolds.
3 inch exhaust with x-pipe
Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.061 @ 110.74
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

New motor

461 stroker
Edelbrock 87 cc dport heads
Performer RPM
Same Ram Air manifolds, and quadrajet

Results will be posted after the track
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Senior Chief

This guy did a review of several jump starters. Seems like good info

https://youtu.be/JN8A2nIMUWA

Old 06-10-2020, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have watched several videos by this guy on various automotive topics. He takes a semi-scientific approach to the topic and really does a pretty good job IMO. He also seems to remain pretty neutral and unbiased. He couldn't help himself being disappointed with the Harbor Freight junk. I was impressed with a couple of the Lithium Ion jumpers. Small, lightweight and powerful.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My jump box went bad so I opened it up and ordered a new battery for very little money and it has been working great for me ever since, make sure you leave it plugged in all the time. Mine has a lead acid battery in it and is heavy. I got one of the smaller lithium ion jumpers I keep with my motorcycle and it seems to work fine there but it wasn't enough to jump my diesel dually when the batteries died. I just bought my uncle of of the 2500AH jumpers but I haven't heard if it worked for him.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:52 PM

I have the Harbor Freight Viking and works fine for what I need it for. It will not jump a dead battery but a half charged one, no problem. The best solution for a vehicle that might sit for a while is a cut off switch IMO. I have one on 79 Trans Am, 83 Camper Van and 79 Truck.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cheap HF is 12-15 yrs old.. Only used maybe 12-15 times on vehicles.
But used it to start my lawn mower dozens of times last 10.
Goes thru batteries every 2 years even stored indoors over winter.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100