THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to 6x400gmc

We've been feeding our dogs ( mini-schnauser, Doberman, APBT ) raw food for going on 8 years. They've had no medical issues thus far. Their coats are thick, full and shiny. They poop very little. They're very healthy.

Britt

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Britt. I would like to know more of the raw diet. Have heard a lot about it, but don't know how or where to start. Have six month old olde English bulldogge that I have been interested in giving him this diet.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
Britt. I would like to know more of the raw diet. Have heard a lot about it, but don't know how or where to start. Have six month old olde English bulldogge that I have been interested in giving him this diet.
My wife, who is the expert at those things, is compiling a response. I'll post it up, or just let her do it.

Britt

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
My wife, who is the expert at those things, is compiling a response. I'll post it up, or just let her do it.

Britt

Old 12-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
As I said in my previous post, I use Sojos. It is super simple. You have to give your dog about 2 weeks to get adjusted to the raw food and that is done simply by mixing a bit of raw with his current food and progressively increasing the raw amount until he is completely switched over.

Mixing the food is super easy and I mix about 3-4 days worth at a time. It is basically one part meat, two parts Sojos, and 3 parts water. I use the ground poultry because I am lazy, but any poultry cuts can be used if you want to take the time to cut it up or grind it.

My dog also gets the occasional raw drum stick as a treat. The raw chicken bones do not splinter and he has never had an issue. About once a week I will also give him pieces of big beef bone. You've all seen them, they usually call them soup bones. They are very hard and filled with raw marrow. He loves them and spends days enjoying the treat.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I make our own food. Our 10 year old lab has the same energy as she did at age 4.
Easy way is to buy the chicken for about 1.78 a pound boneless breasts.
Cook it slow, then separate we cook about 9-10 pounds in a big kettle.
Then cook frozen peas, carrots and brocolli about 4 of each and 1 big brocolli bag
In a commercial cooker we cook 60-65 cups of white rice ( best investment yet)
combine it all and you get 3 jumbo ziplock bags of food. We freeze two and put last in a container in fridge
Dog gets fish oil pills and multivitamins when I get mine, she gets two, and I get two ( hehe) and she and I get an extra vitamin E
our other dog lived to age 16 on this and only died due to a nerve pinch.
Food lasts about 5 weeks....
Costs is less than bags of any Dog food.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Too bad you are not closer to CT.

I pay $1.35lb for raw chicken mix.The place I get it from offers a printout of the ingredients on every batch,and they go thru about 4000lbs a week.

I also add rice to my Greys food.

For treats,I give them raw chicken backs,necks,and that useless piece on the end of chicken wings.

Both our Greyhounds are healthier than ever,and you would never know that one of them is 10 years old.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old thread I know, BUT I have heard of dogs dying from being fed Blue Buffalo food as of late.
Researching and have found this.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

http://www.poisonedpets.com/blue-buf...tising-claims/

Think I'll switch to Science Diet!

Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Old thread I know, BUT I have heard of dogs dying from being fed Blue Buffalo food as of late.
Researching and have found this.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

http://www.poisonedpets.com/blue-buf...tising-claims/

Think I'll switch to Science Diet!
I only feed my 3 year old golden retriever what my veterinarian recommends, and that is Science Diet Perfect Weight - Adult.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1969GiPper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 02:15 PM

OMG I had no idea, but I buy fresh chicken thighs, legs and boil it for my dogs they do get kibble, but only a half a handful my small handful of Verus all stage. They get mini carrots and snow peas for a treat. Animals have allergies like people do, and some are life threatening.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been making my own dog food for about 3 months. Dog would give up on any other food I ever tried. Now its a lb of ground chicken 2 cups brown rice 1 can no salt green beans and 4 table spoons of a nutrient rich powder forget the name right now. Feeds him 3 days then I make another batch.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We feed our dog Hills Science Diet (dry food & can).

A recent top worst dog foods ranked Hills Science Diet #1 WORST, amongst IibblesBits, Alpo, etc..All were obvious craap, but Hills as 1 worst remains an out-lyer. They claimed it has too much Vitamin D. I find that to be an impossible task to achieve.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad you brought this up- I was never a dog or even a pet person but my kids wanted a puppy so bad I got them one for Christmas a little over a year ago. Now her and I spend more time together than she does with the kids!

I will definitely do some research on this

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM

I also give mine the chicken broth after boiling the chicken, as well I boiled beef bones and use the broth, the marrow in the bones is full of nutrients dogs need. They’re very cheap at the grocery stores, and sometimes a butcher shop will give them to you. Just freeze em and use as wanted.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been feeding my boys "Taste of the Wild" Pacific Stream formula and they've been doing great on it for years and my girlfriend switched her dog who is a very picky eater over to it and now she eats with gusto. Then I learned about this:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...cardiomyopathy

Dammit, now I have to try to find another affordable brand of high quality food.

My big shepherd mix cannot have chicken.

DSC_2660 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2020, 04:15 PM

Very handsome! Does the big guy have a wrap on his paw?

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its gets a bit overwhelming thinking about it all. Trying to make sure you are doing the right thing, and not just getting talked into overspending.

My girlfriend is a vet tech. Her doctor uses a basic over the counter Iams. His line was "Iams is designed to feed dogs. Brands like Blue Buffalo are designed to sell to humans." Which sorta made some sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84B84389-67C4-4757-BF23-1654A9F84FC3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	528296  

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

We feed ours Royal Canin but I dont know if thats also available in the US.

We have been feeding them this for years, we add a little raw meat to the meals otherwise they wont eat it..

Old 01-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I joined a site called the dog food advisor. 10 bucks a year. I get recalls and info sent to my phone. real informative fwiw

Old 01-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I've been feeding my boys "Taste of the Wild" Pacific Stream formula and they've been doing great on it for years and my girlfriend switched her dog who is a very picky eater over to it and now she eats with gusto. Then I learned about this:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...cardiomyopathy

Dammit, now I have to try to find another affordable brand of high quality food.

My big shepherd mix cannot have chicken.

DSC_2660 by Will Baker, on Flickr
Is your shepherd mix allergic to chicken?

We adopted a shepherd-husky mix, and she's definitely allergic to something...never thought it might be the chicken we feed her...