Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Huh.

I've never heard of this, or seen anything later that April 29th.

I believe in another thread this year D290 was suggested by someone with more clout than myself as the final date for those heads.

Since VN didn't make engines, they were just shipped there;
then similar date Norwood cars can also lend you information about final casting dates used in 1970... they just won't tell you where about's the VN engines (observed casting dates) were at the same date of production...
then there's the '570 & '573 carbs...

I targeted Van Nuys cars specifically because I suspected that Van Nuys would not have turned out ram air cars at the same rate as Norwood and thus the date ranges would differ because of that. My car being built at Van Nuys is obviously why I’m concerned. FormulaJones further up in the three claims his heads are of E040 date, and I’ve heard of E140 Date from a member here who was messing with these cars literally before I was born. Now mind you I haven’t actually laid eyes on a set myself so I personally can’t claim em to be true or false and I certainly respect the level of research and knowledge you personally have as well. The heads will most likely always be a mystery as they were installed on GTO, judges (is this considered redundant?) and 4 speed cars. I just want to make sure I get as close as possible to the correct date codes on the numbers matching block.

The 7040573 carb I suspect will be a 1070 date, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a later dated non service carb. I’m betting there can’t have been as many California emission cars or carbs, and I know there is an earlier date code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For kicks an giggles, my vin is 109720 if anyone has a ram air car close

Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM

OK, checked my carb date, it's a 573 CA emmisions 4spd date 0490.
Also my 06B VIN is over 2000 nos. lower.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have these Van Nuys TA dates; RH head D100, LH head A280, intake L159 and carb 573 WR 0490. Trim Tag date 05D with scheduled build date of May 25th.
And yes, I know some will say that there's no way these could be original parts with that wide of a date spread. But I bought this TA from the original owners and know the history back to the first year of ownership.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
I have these Van Nuys TA dates; RH head D100, LH head A280, intake L159 and carb 573 WR 0490. Trim Tag date 05D with scheduled build date of May 25th.
And yes, I know some will say that there's no way these could be original parts with that wide of a date spread. But I bought this TA from the original owners and know the history back to the first year of ownership.

The intake throws me, but that’s the SECOND one I’ve heard of recently so um WOW! I’ve never seen or heard of a 0490 date 573, that’s a new one for me. I was going with 1070 date and felt that was really probably to early a date code . I’m guessing seriously not many could argue D220 is to early a date code, but then again with D290 heads on a car built within 2000 vins of my own, earlier heads make no sense. Seems like D290 heads would be ideal, that or maybe E040 heads if they can be found. The carbs are so hard to come by, I’m not sure what I will do there.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewisariz View Post
OK, checked my carb date, it's a 573 CA emmisions 4spd date 0490.

Also my 06B VIN is over 2000 nos. lower.

If 06E was a short week, that’s only 1000ish firebirds a week built between them. Not that many apart all things considered

Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the last thread i created looking to figure out an accurated date range for a carb for me I was scoffed at;
I get it, and I want to help how ever I can...
which might just be to "bump" this thread

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
the last thread i created looking to figure out an accurated date range for a carb for me I was scoffed at;
I get it, and I want to help how ever I can...
which might just be to "bump" this thread

I read that with interest and didn’t scoff

Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
The intake throws me, but that’s the SECOND one I’ve heard of recently so um WOW! I’ve never seen or heard of a 0490 date 573, that’s a new one for me. I was going with 1070 date and felt that was really probably to early a date code . I’m guessing seriously not many could argue D220 is to early a date code, but then again with D290 heads on a car built within 2000 vins of my own, earlier heads make no sense. Seems like D290 heads would be ideal, that or maybe E040 heads if they can be found. The carbs are so hard to come by, I’m not sure what I will do there.

D290 I feel would work just fine and easier to find. The E040's on mine are only 3 working days after, 5 if you include the weekend. So I don't think it makes any difference which one you pick. I wouldn't even be too concerned with an earlier date on a May car. If something popped up from April I'd just snag them and use them on the car if it were me. Van Nuys didn't turn out too many ram air cars, or too many F-bodies for that matter, especially when you look at Norwood's production stats. It's not unusual to see some casting dates a couple months prior to the projected build date to a car.

For instance, our 69 Z from Norwood is a 12D car. Typically a slow month for sales too because it's right around Christmas, yet the assembly date on the engine is 12/27 and the casting date is only a few days before that, probably still warm after the casting process, lol. Yet the serial number of the car falls in line with a finish production date sometime the first week of Jan. 69Z's were fairly high production and Norwood pumped the majority of them out.
My SCJ is just the opposite, built at Dearborn. Almost all the casting dates are mid and late Dec 68 but the car was built Feb 28th 1969. Not unusual to see that on the SCJ's that were low production to begin with. The latest part on the car is the carb with the 1st week of Jan.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
D290 I feel would work just fine and easier to find. The E040's on mine are only 3 working days after, 5 if you include the weekend. So I don't think it makes any difference which one you pick. I wouldn't even be too concerned with an earlier date on a May car. If something popped up from April I'd just snag them and use them on the car if it were me. Van Nuys didn't turn out too many ram air cars, or too many F-bodies for that matter, especially when you look at Norwood's production stats. It's not unusual to see some casting dates a couple months prior to the projected build date to a car.

For instance, our 69 Z from Norwood is a 12D car. Typically a slow month for sales too because it's right around Christmas, yet the assembly date on the engine is 12/27 and the casting date is only a few days before that, probably still warm after the casting process, lol. Yet the serial number of the car falls in line with a finish production date sometime the first week of Jan. 69Z's were fairly high production and Norwood pumped the majority of them out.

My SCJ is just the opposite, built at Dearborn. Almost all the casting dates are mid and late Dec 68 but the car was built Feb 28th 1969. Not unusual to see that on the SCJ's that were low production to begin with. The latest part on the car is the carb with the 1st week of Jan.

I like the April 29 date code because we have a pretty close in vin comparison. To me the only other option would have been May 04 (which I didn’t even know existed). The car is an end of June car delivered on the 7th of July. What puzzles me the most here is the fact that the date codes on the heads preceded the blocks by over a month in some cases. I get you can make the argument that ram air cars didn’t sell etc, but the same casting number was used in base model GTO and firebird and maybe GP(?) with a 4 speed. They should have been consuming these things at a much higher rate. Same with the intake. While I know they would expect to produce X amount of motors, and producing a high number of intakes to accommodate that, seeing a motor with a block date of May head dates in April and intake dates from all over the place is confusing at best. I’m sticking with the 1070 carb. Only because finding ANY 573 or 273 is mission impossible most the time.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baa, lost track of this thread.

Here are a set of 12's a member has here with a May 22nd date. For anyone interested, they are for sale in the for sale section. These are even later than mine by almost 3 weeks.

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-25-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Baa, lost track of this thread.

Here are a set of 12's a member has here with a May 22nd date. For anyone interested, they are for sale in the for sale section. These are even later than mine by almost 3 weeks.

Thanks FormulaJones. I actually bought his D290 heads