THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:12 PM

When I lived in Akron,OH. I used to go out to Arlen Vanke's shop and he used to call me Arnie Beswick when I walked in. Later when I lived in CA. I saw him match racing at Pomona. I walked up to him in the pits and told him what Arlen called me. He laughed and signed on of his programs and signed it "From Arnie to Arnie"

Every time I saw Arnie he would always kid me about that.
He is a real Ledgen.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arnie has an incredible memory and a great sense of humor. He is 88 years old and if I have half his memory at 70, I will be happy. I strongly encourage everyone who goes to an event where Arnie is attending to take the extra time to go ant talk to him. He is a drag racing legend, a Pontiac icon, and just plain interesting to be around and visit with. A lifetime of fantastic stories. Why wait for years to hear them second hand? Talk to him now . One of the very best parts of racing a name nostalgia car is meeting and spending time with these legends of our sport.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Anyone here seen Arnie, in the last year or so?...Just wondering, since he is 88, hope he's still doing well!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke to Arnie this past June at the Pypes Show in Hatfield. He's one hell of a nice guy and we had a very nice chat. And yes... he did drive a Comet.

As you know, he crashed one of his cars [I can't remember which one tho] and was badly burnt. He can't be out in the hot sun so if you ever meet up with him you'll find him under a canopy or in a tent. That day at the Pypes show he had to go inside quit often to cool off as it was so hot, even tho he was under a canopy.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I spoke to Arnie this past June at the Pypes Show in Hatfield. He's one hell of a nice guy and we had a very nice chat. And yes... he did drive a Comet.

As you know, he crashed one of his cars [I can't remember which one tho] and was badly burnt. He can't be out in the hot sun so if you ever meet up with him you'll find him under a canopy or in a tent. That day at the Pypes show he had to go inside quit often to cool off as it was so hot, even tho he was under a canopy.
Would that have been in the last week of June???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I just checked and it was the 30th.... Saturday. I know some of the other guys on here talked with him too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arni has moments,just 2 weeks ago he bet someone $100 that Pontiac never made any alu blocks!Hell,I have owned 3 of them!Tom

Old 09-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arnie is doing just fine and we ran the World Series of Drag Racing with him last month. He was inducted into the World Series Hall of Fame at this race by both Don Garlits and Shirley Muldowney. He is treated with the same respect and on equal footing with these two icons of drag racing. Not because of number of national event wins and championships but because of his longevity, tenacity, driving skill and treatment of his legions of fans. You are right about the hot sun, he likes to stay in the shade if possible and he is definitely not a morning person. Hit his pit area after noon, and he will almost certainly be there. If you love Pontiacs and drag racing, do yourself a favor and spend some time with him.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Arni has moments,just 2 weeks ago he bet someone $100 that Pontiac never made any alu blocks!Hell,I have owned 3 of them!Tom
I wouldn't want to be on the collecting end of that bet! Ha Ha. I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast some days and I'm allot younger.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:51 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I'm not so sure Arnie wouldn't have won that bet. As you know, Tom, the so-called "M/T blocks" that you and I have had with Pontiac development numbers were actually cast by Harvey Aluminum. Were any of the other aluminum blocks cast by PMD?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sure the later blocks were,I was told before Fritz died it was not Harvey alu,it was another foundry in the LA area.The engine I ended up buying from George that was ALL alu,heads,intake,front cover,waterpump and intake im 99% sure it was a engineering pc from the factory.Back then they had a lot of alu heads out there that were factory items.Also the hemi alu blocks might had been factory.I still have a source alive that ended up with a lot of the moulds from the M/T auction,will reach out to him.Tom