THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
/\ sounds like fun!.
It was interesting to say the least. As far as I know the car is still around. The guy that bought it when I sold it just by chance was my old parts manager when I was a Chrysler mechanic. I would have to check my records but I think I sold it around 2000 or 2001. If I recall, they only made 200 of them in '92.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

90's cars are very complex, made out of very cheap plastic that is now old and brittle, and parts for them are non-existent. You could not make me own one at this point. I checked the calendar and the 90's are over......way over. GM
declared they were over when they removed every single part from their 90's cars from their parts books. Breaking brittle plastic parts from one end of the car to the other and no replacements on planet earth........thanks but no.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
... GM
declared they were over when they removed every single part from their 90's cars from their parts books. Breaking brittle plastic parts from one end of the car to the other and no replacements on planet earth........thanks but no.
some parts eg: senders/sensors are still available... but maybe I am wrong.

it seems to me, from my observations that somewhere around the five year mark after a part is last installed on a brand new car, GM removes parts from their inventory.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
90's cars are very complex, made out of very cheap plastic that is now old and brittle, and parts for them are non-existent. You could not make me own one at this point. I checked the calendar and the 90's are over......way over. GM
Amazing! Sounds just like when I was looking for parts for my '62 GP and '64 & '65 GTO's.

They were so 60's in the 80's and had brittle plastic parts too.

Quote:
some parts eg: senders/sensors are still available... but maybe I am wrong.

it seems to me, from my observations that somewhere around the five year mark after a part is last installed on a brand new car, GM removes parts from their inventory.
There are plenty of parts out there if someone does not expect them to be outside their living room window. Probably more parts available for a 90's Pontiac in 2018 than there was 60's Pontiac parts in the 80's.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
you absolutely nailed it!

I see what you did there

I'm not talking about modified - just bone stock, as built.

If my memory serves me, a GLH was right about 150hp - which for it's time was seriously awesome - most early-mid 80's V8's were right about 150hp...

As a counter-point, the "regular" Quad4 was 150hp for 1988-1989, and 160hp for 1990-1992.

I am in no way mocking FWD SHelby's, I had understood that right till his end, his regular personal driver was a GLH (or was it a GLHS?)... that really does say something about the fun factor of those cars

They're all neat little cars, and in my opinion Carroll really should be credited with what became the domestic sport compact scene...
About the minivan link - There used to be a local who was playing with one of the boosted minivans here too(!)...

Turbocharged cars can be pushed alot further than the way they are built - a properly setup Neon SRT4 is not a car to take lightly... and I have read of many Cobalt SS turbocharged cars running ALOT more hp than me...
and speaking of modified, the few who have showed persistance to do a low boost (7-9lbs) turbocharged setup on Quad4's have all (to the best of my knowledge) dynoed north of 500hp.
... and then there's the matter of GM nearly creating a turbocharged Quad4 back in the late 1980's - the one which was built, and apparently certifiable/emissions compliant was 250hp... yup, it was making MORE horsepower than period V8's(!)

But in my opinion for a mild daily driver, horsepower being equal, n/a is more ideal than turbocharged, regardless to number of cylinders.
Right before I bought that 84 Laser I had my eyes on an 88 Grand Am with the Quad 4 and a 5 speed I think. I really wanted that car, but being E-2 in the Navy I couldn't afford the note. Bought the 4 year older Chrysler Laser and found it was a fun little car. For what it was it was quick. Startled my Navy buddy that had an 88 or 89 IROC Z.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

90's cars I wish I would have kept. 91 Gran Prix 3.4 DOHC with 5 Speed. and 91 Formula R6P ( performance enhancement option) with 5 speed

1995 Formula Firehawk #592