Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Universal Joints-Greasable or No?

Wondering what type of universal joints you guys run on your street driven A-bodies, or any RWD car for that matter; greasable or non and the reason.

I’m doing a “day-2” resto on my 64 GTO and the car will be a summertime toy/look at me car and spend more time in the garage than on the road.

The OEMs were non-greasable and I know about the strength advantage of a solid universal. Just would like some other thoughts on advantage of using one over the other. Thanks…………….

Old 05-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Suspended

On a strickly street vehicle, greasable U-Joints are a plus. But on a car that "may" see the track or does see track time, especially with a stick and/or sticky tires, solid ones are the best way to go.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
On a strickly street vehicle, greasable U-Joints are a plus. But on a car that "may" see the track or does see track time, especially with a stick and/or sticky tires, solid ones are the best way to go.
This^^^.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s a pain in the ass but even the non greasable ones can have fresh grease packed in them from time to time just requires disassembly of driveshaft. Pack cup full of new grease and reinstall. Stay away from the Advance Auto Brute Force brand solids. They were crap years ago and am sure they haven’t improved

Old 06-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the thing: even solid joints will be okay for street use in a classic car. The grease they come with will last for over 50,000 miles before it will need to be refreshed. How long will it take you to put 50,000 miles on your ride? Normal driving, hollow joints will be fine, though.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Here's the thing: even solid joints will be okay for street use in a classic car. The grease they come with will last for over 50,000 miles before it will need to be refreshed. How long will it take you to put 50,000 miles on your ride? Normal driving, hollow joints will be fine, though.
That’s what I kind of figured but wasn't totally sure. I like the ease of the greasables but was concerned about possible grease splatter on the detailed bottom of the car. As I stated the car will see limited use so the solid joints would seem to fit the bill. Thanks…..

Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you are running 1310 u joints because when I sold parts years ago that was the only common greasable u joint you could get (Spicer). I had a customer that had 1330 u joints and insisted they be greasable. I had a hell of a time finding a pair and when I did they lasted a year before he was returning them out of autozones lifetime warranty. I have 1350 u joint straps on my 9 inch and have a 1350 yoke. Mine will be non greasable as I think that’s all that’s available anyway. I am gonna drive mine everyday so 50,000 will come up in 5 to 6 years but replacing u joints that often is no big deal. I would buy from Napa. I think they still sell spicer/Dana. Autozone and advance have gone to chinese crap

Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

If you have the greaseable u-joint installed wrong, the high load from Performance starts can break the joint. Not good on your detailed bottom of the car. More like heavily beat up detailed bottom of the car afterward.

If old lady type driving then either one will work ok.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Senior Chief

64speed--Nope, I'm using the GM 3R type joint with the internal 'C" clips as the car is not going to be raced or driven hard. Spicer makes this joint in both greasable and solid. Agree that repacking the joint is not that big of deal.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
If you have the greaseable u-joint installed wrong, the high load from Performance starts can break the joint. Not good on your detailed bottom of the car. More like heavily beat up detailed bottom of the car afterward.

If old lady type driving then either one will work ok.

Tom V.
Tom V- I know that if the position of the grease fitting is not properly indexed it will throw out the grease. Some websites and magazine articles mention grease splatter with the greaseables, so I guess my question would be is splatter happen a little more with the greasable joint? And yes, this car will most likely be driven like a little old lady

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Apparently nobody ever seen grease dry out with age. It may be good for 50,000 miles but that number is based on and average "miles pre year" number which is between 12,000 and 15,000 miles pre year. If your car is a daily driver then go for the solids. If not, good luck.