THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Senior Chief

Theyre plenty available here (I live in Europe) but I'd never want to own one. Too small, styling doesnt do it for me and the tiny engine is the final insult. I dont like most Porsches, Ferraris, Jaguars or other 'special' European cars either.
I've always prefered US muscle cars or mostly anything Detroit made from the mid sixties to mid seventies. Just costs a little more to own one here but I happy to pay for the pleasure to own a real v8 powered car.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dad bought my oldest brother a used one around 1970. I was in first grade, and thought it was pretty cool, but I know he had more troubles keeping that thing on the road than it was worth. It was a total POS. Based on my memories of that I would never own one. Although my brother was a bonafide hippie and went on to own several vw vans. AND, to add insult a beautiful 67 firebird 400 was sold to buy the bug!

Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Yes I would, but it would have to be something like this. http://www.oldbug.com/newmanvw.htm

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That has to be a blast to drive ^^

Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to have an old van or Beetle with the Porsche 912E's engine. I drove a 73 Beetle back in 73 while waiting for the Porsche 912E that I bought to be repaired. Great gas mileage and fun to drive.. but I didn't care for the electronic clutch 4 speed transmission. I didn't have the Porsche for very long and should have kept the Beetle.

My grand dad had a VW van with dual swing out doors on each side. It was a great work truck for him and I wanted to buy it from him. Sad to say one of my cousins bought it from him and he destroyed it. I was p!ssed. To this day I've never seen another like it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.